2.9 update confusion

EmJay22

Back in August, to be able to run the new F-15 module, I installed open beta 2.8.6.41363.

I am not reading all about the new and amazing 2.9 update and am not sure how to get it onto my PC as I don't even see any available link from this page https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/world/

I am assuming that I am somehow not worthy of this DCS goodness but maybe hoping I am just not aware of what I need to do.

I was hoping to not open a support ticket for such a stupid question and that maybe some helpful person can be ... well... helpful?

Thanks

You should have an icon for the DCS Updater program, if needed you can re-create it as any other Windows shortcut, its properties should be:

Target: "C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\DCS_updater.exe" update

Start at: "C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin"

The Shortcut needs the option "Start as administrator" enabled.

Edit the fields if your DCS is at a non-default path. On my spanish windows it looks like this:

HQDLm5b.jpg

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Thank you so much for the reply.

I found some info here https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/faq/repair/#1883673  

and managed to make a backup copy of my old installation, create a new folder, downloaded the updater and it seems to be downloading the update to my desired folder. I don't actually have that shortcut since I installed to a different folder.

But I appreciate your help.

I guess in a few hours I will know... thanks again

• Like 1

However, I think that since the download is running and saving into a "new" folder which I created, I guess I will need to update all of my controller settings again for each module? Or maybe there are some files which I can copy from the "old installation"

I am do not remember how I ended up with the "openBeta" being installed into the same folder as I had the "non openBeta" version installed before.

Maybe I should restart the entire update process and point to the old installation directory instead.

I also have the SIM installed on a laptop for travel and it happily asks to update to the new version. But I will do that later to save bandwidth.

50 minutes ago, EmJay22 said:

... I guess I will need to update all of my controller settings again for each module?

No need, your settings are at a separate folder from the DCS program, located at C:/Users/your-user/Saved Games/   ... they are not touched during a DCS update (however, if the update adds new control bindings to a Module, you might need to check those.)

50 minutes ago, EmJay22 said:

I am do not remember how I ended up with the "openBeta" being installed into the same folder as I had the "non openBeta" version installed before.

That should not happen .. the default install paths are different for each version. Unless you customized the path during the install.

27 minutes ago, EmJay22 said:

...  and the install of the update into a new empty folder was producing lots of errors.

The updater is for updating an existing DCS, not for installing the new version onto a new folder. For that you would use the normal DCS installer that you download from ED's website.

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Thank you for the clarification of this info.  Downloading into the previous installation is running much faster than my previous botched attempt.

And also thanks for the info about the user "settings".

This brings to another question regarding 'settings'

Is it possible to create different "profiles" for the same user but when they want to use different controllers so they (or I) don't have to go thru all the controls and 'reset' them for different hardware. I want to try using an X-Box controller with my laptop but still want to be able to use the "other controller" settings if I go back to them. 

I don't see anyway to "save" different control "profiles"

Thanks again for you help and patience with my dumb questions.

Alan

30 minutes ago, EmJay22 said:

This brings to another question regarding 'settings'

Is it possible to create different "profiles" for the same user but when they want to use different controllers so they (or I) don't have to go thru all the controls and 'reset' them for different hardware. I want to try using an X-Box controller with my laptop but still want to be able to use the "other controller" settings if I go back to them. I

Hi Alan,

Unfortunately, DCS does not have such an option, the nearest you can get is to have a single DCS setup with two different settings folder. That would allow you to have different control setups, but would be a hassle in other aspects, for example the flight logbook would be separate too, any custom livery would be separate, etc.

have you tried to simply unplug the controller that you don’t want to use on a particular playing session? That would probably be easier.

A third alternative would be a launcher utility, like this one:

but I’m not sure how it handle the control inputs.

create a separate thread for this question, so that other users may help too.

Cheers,

Eduardo

2 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

Hi Alan,

Unfortunately, DCS does not have such an option, the nearest you can get is to have a single DCS setup with two different settings folder. That would allow you to have different control setups, but would be a hassle in other aspects, for example the flight logbook would be separate too, any custom livery would be separate, etc.

have you tried to simply unplug the controller that you don’t want to use on a particular playing session? That would probably be easier.

A third alternative would be a launcher utility, like this one:

but I’m not sure how it handle the control inputs.

create a separate thread for this question, so that other users may help too.

Cheers,

Eduardo

DULU Doesnt work with Inputs,

However, 
One could make 2 instances of the entire \Config\Input\ directory, 1 for 1 set of controllers, 1 for another and swap them out manually

Edited by SkateZilla
  • Like 1

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• ED Team
7 minutes ago, adam34aus said:

I have stand alone version and forced my updater to check for updates and it said it was up to date which it is not. Bloody frustrating.

attach your dcs log, 

it sounds like you are on stable version, and not open beta which is the public test version

thanks

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2