DCS 2.9 AH-64 ATT Hold Not Working

AndreNL
Go to solution Solved by AndreNL,

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, trying to hover in her now is nearly impossible. Trim her up then hit ATT hold, she banks way off to the right and away from the target.

• Like 1

My Hangar:

F16C | FA18C | AH64D | F14A/B | M2000C | AV8B | A10C/ii | KA50/iii | UH1H | Gazelle | FC3 | CA | Supercarrier

My Spec:

Obsidian750D Airflow | Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K | 32GB DDR4 Vengeance @3600 | RTX3080 12GB OC | ZXR PCIe | WD Black 2TB SSD | Log X56 | Log G502 | TrackIR | 1 badass mutha

For me, in low wind (<5 knots), it will buck around dramatically for a moment, then settle again and hold the position.  Once or twice I still had a slow drift, but after making some trim adjustments it held position.  Are you giving it a chance to settle back in and recover the hover?

Its simply horrible!

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

22 hours ago, Floyd1212 said:

For me, in low wind (<5 knots), it will buck around dramatically for a moment, then settle again and hold the position.  Once or twice I still had a slow drift, but after making some trim adjustments it held position.  Are you giving it a chance to settle back in and recover the hover?

Yes, I just have to always find a position which is quite in the open, not ideal when trying to hide near trees etc, enable and let her settle down without hitting something.

My Hangar:

F16C | FA18C | AH64D | F14A/B | M2000C | AV8B | A10C/ii | KA50/iii | UH1H | Gazelle | FC3 | CA | Supercarrier

My Spec:

Obsidian750D Airflow | Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K | 32GB DDR4 Vengeance @3600 | RTX3080 12GB OC | ZXR PCIe | WD Black 2TB SSD | Log X56 | Log G502 | TrackIR | 1 badass mutha

On 12/2/2023 at 8:40 AM, Floyd1212 said:

This works for me most of the time, however I have to constantly trim switch up and counter the movement slightly while it's settling to help it out. But yea, ATT Hold seems bugged and tries to over correct when trying to hover.

Just for reference, my stick is in "Center position/central position trimming mode", and pedals are in "Pedals Without Spings and FFB" since I remove the spring when flying helicopters.

Also, instead of checking the forums I decided to remap two joysticks, thinking that's the problem, and mess with tuning axes, deadzones, and curves for the past two days... lol

Edited by SnakePL88

• 2 weeks later...

Tried the apache again after some time away from DCS. Holy smokes, the hold mode is dangerous! 😂

Completely trimmed out, almost dead center holding the position in hover mode. Activated hold mode, and a short second later I was on may way sideways into the ground.

Just a thought: How is the real bird reacting? Is it really not necessary to do anymore, even the smallest adjustments after hitting ATT Hold? I can imagine, that you still have to keep an eye on the controls and do some small adjustments from time to time to keep it in position.

Is it possible, that we just expect too much?

WIN10-Pro., ASUS ROG Z390-E, INTEL Core i7-970K, RTX 2080Ti, 64GB RAM, ACER Predator XB271HU 2560 x 1440 144Hz, DCS Open Beta: SSD970 EVO Plus 1TB, DCS Stable: SSD 870 EVO 1TB

Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar (U2nxt) / Foxy, Simpeds , TrackIR 5

36 minutes ago, Trigger said:

Just a thought: How is the real bird reacting? Is it really not necessary to do anymore, even the smallest adjustments after hitting ATT Hold? I can imagine, that you still have to keep an eye on the controls and do some small adjustments from time to time to keep it in position.

Is it possible, that we just expect too much?

No, the hold modes are rock solid in the helicopter. No drift whatsoever and they don’t “hunt” for zero. They go there and stay there without issue.

Just to check DLAA I have tested the current (rather old) update in multithreading and there was no drift in ATT Hold. It worked like a charm - and as bradmick said "rock solid". In my last flight a few weeks ago before the last update it didn't work and always crashed me but I was using the single threaded binary. Maybe there is a difference between ST and MT?

But it was  a short flight in my test. So, maybe the issue is still there even in MT.

BTW: I got only 40 fps in DLAA and my graphics card was at 90% but it felt extremely smooth and controllable - even without any practise for weeks. Unfortunately my time is a bit limited at the moment.

Edited by Nereid

DCS:A-10C / DCS:Ka-50 / DCS:UH-1H / DCS:Mig21bis / DCS:P-51D / DCS:Mi-8MTV2 / DCS:Fw190D9 / DCS:Bf109K4 / DCS:C-101EB / DCS:L-39C / DCS:F-5E / DCS:Spitfire LF Mk. IX / DCS:AJS37

Did a short run now just to test again.

- Every time I engage ATT HOLD while in hover, the SCAS (green arrow) kicks to the left in the joystick overlay. I can sit in hover, dissengage ATT HOLD, instantly re-engage and it will still "kick" to the left. Sending the Apache left, before it starts trying to compensate it.

- YAW SCAS (green mark) is oscillating slighty when flying straight. No modes engaged. Only trimmed out and stable. In this configuration the nose is oscillating left and right. It's not much, but enough to notice it.

- ALT HOLD, engaging this makes the helicopter creep toward the ground. If I don't take over manually, it would drive the Apache into the ground.

6 часов назад, TZeer сказал:

Did a short run now just to test again.

- Every time I engage ATT HOLD while in hover, the SCAS (green arrow) kicks to the left in the joystick overlay. I can sit in hover, dissengage ATT HOLD, instantly re-engage and it will still "kick" to the left. Sending the Apache left, before it starts trying to compensate it.

- YAW SCAS (green mark) is oscillating slighty when flying straight. No modes engaged. Only trimmed out and stable. In this configuration the nose is oscillating left and right. It's not much, but enough to notice it.

- ALT HOLD, engaging this makes the helicopter creep toward the ground. If I don't take over manually, it would drive the Apache into the ground.

A correction is expected in the next update.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ZAR_Magadan

Just conducted a ATT and ALT hover. The erratic behaviour seems to have been fixed for me. Thank You again ED. 🙂 

• Like 4

My Hangar:

My Spec:

On 12/17/2023 at 2:43 PM, Nereid said:

Just to check DLAA I have tested the current (rather old) update in multithreading and there was no drift in ATT Hold. It worked like a charm - and as bradmick said "rock solid". In my last flight a few weeks ago before the last update it didn't work and always crashed me but I was using the single threaded binary. Maybe there is a difference between ST and MT?

But it was  a short flight in my test. So, maybe the issue is still there even in MT.

BTW: I got only 40 fps in DLAA and my graphics card was at 90% but it felt extremely smooth and controllable - even without any practise for weeks. Unfortunately my time is a bit limited at the moment.

Why aren't you using MT exe? You would have MUCH better performance. It's also needed to get the new landing animations where the helo kicks up dust and blows the grass and trees around.

On 12/21/2023 at 12:14 AM, pii said:

Why aren't you using MT exe? You would have MUCH better performance. It's also needed to get the new landing animations where the helo kicks up dust and blows the grass and trees around.

Because it wasn't working so well in some aspects and still isn't. Just today DCS was completely unresponsive in MT for no obvious reason until I restarted my whole system. The performance in flights without many AI units isn't that much better in my experience either. I'm still changing between ST and MT sometimes. And in MT we still get stuttering every then and now (even on my rig with 64 GB of RAM and a  RTX 3070). This is not the case in ST (and one of my biggest complaints about MT). 

Currently I'm using MT - until the stuttering bothers me too much.

Edited by Nereid

DCS:A-10C / DCS:Ka-50 / DCS:UH-1H / DCS:Mig21bis / DCS:P-51D / DCS:Mi-8MTV2 / DCS:Fw190D9 / DCS:Bf109K4 / DCS:C-101EB / DCS:L-39C / DCS:F-5E / DCS:Spitfire LF Mk. IX / DCS:AJS37

On 12/23/2023 at 7:12 AM, Nereid said:

Because it wasn't working so well in some aspects and still isn't. Just today DCS was completely unresponsive in MT for no obvious reason until I restarted my whole system. The performance in flights without many AI units isn't that much better in my experience either. I'm still changing between ST and MT sometimes. And in MT we still get stuttering every then and now (even on my rig with 64 GB of RAM and a  RTX 3070). This is not the case in ST (and one of my biggest complaints about MT). 

What's your CPU?

On 12/23/2023 at 1:12 PM, Nereid said:

It's off topic, the topic was att not working. It works a bit better then before. But about MT, it stutters a lot on my machine. I prefere to use ST but my gpu doesn't like that but in-game is much and much smoother. And I noticed that DLSS is not working in ST. I'm using AMD ryzen9 5900X NVidia RTX3080TI and have 64RAM Htc vive pro  

• Wags locked this topic