2.9 Voice chat feedback and discussion

Yuma

vor 13 Stunden schrieb SignorMagnifico:

The game crash during the microphone test appears to have been solved with the latest update. Thanks for the progress, devs!

Unfortunately, when I try to test my microphone, regardless of which option I select, either Default or my microphone, the dB bar at the bottom does not move during the microphone test.

I have multiple audio hardware audio sources including my webcam, monitor connected via DisplayPort, and a headset microphone connected via a 3.5mm jack. I have disabled all microphones except my headset microphone in Windows settings, so Windows only sees my headset microphone. In the DCS menu, I can either choose "Default" or my headset microphone. 

My microphone is working properly, as I can hear myself when testing it in Windows, and it works with Discord and SRS.

Anyone have any troubleshooting ideas? 

No it’s not solved sorry. It’s still crashing and I have the Same problem with the mic. 

I am just stopping by to report in.  The issue I reported earlier in this thread (linked below) is not resolved.  I don't suspect ED intended to resolve it in this latest patch as it wasn't mentioned in the patch notes, but I didn't want to assume here.  @BIGNEWY, just in case the team wondered, the issue is still alive out here in the field.

Thanks.

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

In-game I have a issues with my headset, whereas in any other app it's working fine. It's Logitech G Pro X.

When testing mic in options, there is popping sound going on. Temporary fix for me is that I use nvidia broadcast w/o any effects and in game I switch my headphone source from Pro X to Nv Broadcast.

Edited by Dragzor

Same issue as others in my flight group.

Random behavior. Sometimes works, sometimes fails. A mate hears some other but does not hear another. All messed.

What a pity. I really like DCS voice chat, but at its present state is unplayable. 😪

Please fix it. 🙏

• Like 1

I totally agree it is wonderful but when it works. A few days ago we tested it in my flight group and observed the radio effects, I was impressed. When you get into a valley you see how your partner's signal deteriorates and the noise increases until it cuts. I also observed that when someone was talking to me and a third person was transmitting above, the voice of the person transmitting could be heard, the one who was closest to you) attenuated and over-modulated and those who transmit further away cannot even be heard. I have been a radio amateur for many years and this advance was impressive for me and, by the way, very immersive. It's a shame, as @gallorojo says, that sometimes it works and other times it doesn't, it always gives us problems with more than seven people.

Me too, please fix it. 🙏

Edited by Silver_
  • Like 1

• ED Team

We have had a lot of feedback and good data from many users since release and we do have more tweaks and adjustments to come in future updates. 

thanks

• Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Please ED @BIGNEWY. Dont lose the quick completion of voice chat out of focus. I know there are a lot of other issues currently. But I am so looking forward to abandon SRS as an extra layer of error in a mission.

Voice chat should not have been released before it was stable and at least comparable in features to SRS. The danger is , that people who tested it right now, realize that its not reliable and wont test it again, when its claimed to be complete.

Of course if it is reliable and stable, I am just looking forward to have some audible feedback if someone steps on another persons comms and many people will want to change the balance of the channels between the left and right ear. I know, possibly unrealistic but incredibly helpful to determine from which channel the transmission is coming from. Really those three things are needed for me to be ready to uninstall SRS.

Edit: Not sure about how squawk is being handled with LOTATC without SRS though...

Edited by darkman222
  • Like 2

• ED Team
5 minutes ago, darkman222 said:

Please ED @BIGNEWY. Dont lose the quick completion of voice chat out of focus. I know there are a lot of other issues currently. But I am so looking forward to abandon SRS as an extra layer of error in a mission.

Voice chat should not have been released before it was stable and at least comparable in features to SRS. The danger is , that people who tested it right now, realize that its not reliable and wont test it again, when its claimed to be complete.

Of course if it is reliable and stable, I am just looking forward to have some audible feedback if someone steps on another persons comms and many people will want to change the balance of the channels between the left and right ear. I know, possibly unrealistic but incredibly helpful to determine from which channel the transmission is coming from. Really those three things are needed for me to be ready to uninstall SRS.

Edit: Not sure about how squawk is being handled with LOTATC without SRS though...

Hi, 

as mentioned work continues, but I do not agree with you about the release. Without the feedback from the community we would not have got as much data as we have from so many different setups and configurations. Community testing is essential for most of our products. 

We will continue to look at the feedback and in the future voice chat will be expanded on more. 

thank you

• Like 2

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Are the people reporting these issues forwarding port 10309 on the hosting machine? I know that when I was just forwarding 10308 it was completely unusable. I have yet to convince enough people to try it for a good test since then because they all think it's garbage and insist on using SRS or discord.

Ah such a shame. I was looking forward to finally drop SRS after the announced VoiceChat progress.

Unfortunately we encounter so much issues, as stated above by other users already. 

Feels sad. Yes it may be another year until we test voice chat again. Theres just no point in testing hours after hours while we're already having an already working solution: SRS. 

Please focus VoiceChat more. It really has potential but is of no actual use currently.

• Like 4

When in doubt - climb. Nobody ever collided with air.

14 minutes ago, Jel said:

Feels sad. Yes it may be another year until we test voice chat again. Theres just no point in testing hours after hours while we're already having an already working solution: SRS. 

... is exactly what I was trying to say. I really hate SRS but its working.

• Like 3

My personal biggest problem is that when using hotas binds for voip, i no longer can open the ai comms menu for any device with the same hotad buttons.

This means i have to bind additional buttons which is not very convenient. Try the A10: mic fwd,dn,aft each for voip. When i want to contact ai (tanker, airfield, jtac, etc.) i have to use keyboard with additional 3 binds.

Why not make it so by pressing the mic switch (voip), it also opens the comms menu ? Releasing the button then closes it again.

Or make it optional in settings at least. 

Or did i miss anything ? Voip has been tested for long, some1 must have had this issue already.

Edited by Jel

You can use modifiers to double or triple the amount of buttons. So use one button to set your comms buttons to VOIP. Another one for Comms menu. Or even a third one to do nothing, so you can use them with SRS without transmitting on VOIP or opening up the comms menu.

Edited by darkman222

12 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Community testing is essential for most of our products. 

Friend @BIGNEWY, you are right in stating that community testing is very useful, hence the Beta version, to improve a product, but also keep in mind that a product that does not even provide the minimum quality for testing will never be tested by this just as your efforts and dedication deserve, especially having competing software like SRS that does not present problems. Let it be known that I prefer a thousand times more the immersion and realism that Voice Chat provides (noises, signal fading, etc.) but unfortunately I have fought a lot in my flight group to have it tested and people are already tired of so many problems of connection and disconnection, hearing and not hearing and many others that I currently do not remember.

Please try to make an effort and focus a little more on the real problems and not on the minutiae as the community does for you. Thanks you.

Edited by Silver_
  • Like 4

vor 10 Stunden schrieb darkman222:

You can use modifiers to double or triple the amount of buttons. So use one button to set your comms buttons to VOIP. Another one for Comms menu. Or even a third one to do nothing, so you can use them with SRS without transmitting on VOIP or opening up the comms menu.

I´m talking about HOTAS Buttons on the A10 🙂

I want to keep bindings realistic instead of rebinding buttons that shouldn´t be. That´s why i  wrote above - could be so easy with just the suggested additional functionality.

Edited by Jel

9 hours ago, Silver_ said:

Let it be known that I prefer a thousand times more the immersion and realism that Voice Chat provides (noises, signal fading, etc.) but unfortunately I have fought a lot in my flight group to have it tested and people are already tired of so many problems of connection and disconnection, hearing and not hearing and many others that I currently do not remember.

I did not want to go into that again, but to make it really obvious and to add what Silver said.

Community testing is important and valuable. I get that.

But VOIP is not like a new module (whithout a competitor) that gets developed while people are adapting to it. We already have SRS, which I hate and find less immersive compared to what VOIP in that early stage already offers. But please, in the next published iteration, make sure that all the community feedback is adressed. Otherwise it will be abandoned and overlooked by server owners soon. And all the effort ED has put into it will be wasted and end on a dead track for such a promising thing.

Edited by darkman222
  • Like 2

• ED Team
4 minutes ago, darkman222 said:

I did not want to go into that again, but to make it really obvious and to add what Silver said.

Community testing is important and valuable. I get that.

But VOIP is not like a new module (whithout a competitor) that gets developed while people are adapting to it. We already have SRS, which I hate and find less immersive compared to what VOIP in that early stage already offers. But please, in the next published iteration, make sure that all the community feedback is adressed. Otherwise it will be abandoned and overlooked by server owners soon. And all the effort ED has put into it will be wasted and end on a dead track for such a promising thing.

Darkman we get you are not happy, but it is obvious the team are working on refining the voice chat and are taking in all the feedback. You will need to be patient. 

thank you

• Thanks 1

I have posted and then deleted multiple rants in this thread as I have gone through the process of trying to get VOIP to work with various people. I will try to keep this concise.

I assumed ED's VOIP worked on a basic level because Wags made a video on new features coming to it in 2.9. I was eager to try it, and being a server host/mission creator, I was willing to go through the steps to host.

In the video Wags said he had no friends but had he managed to muster even a couple of ED's alleged 180+ employees to actually test the software I am confident he would have run into the same problems as everyone else in this thread has. Of course I actually tested it and found over the course of many, many wasted hours (and many more wasted hours by the people who trusted my belief that ED's VOIP functioned at the most basic level) that the ED's VOIP is just broken and useless. Now they are rightfully fed up with it and don't want to touch it again. I initially thought it was on my end but over the course of those wasted hours and looking in these threads I learned the truth about it and ED's product.

The fact that Wags made and posted a video showcasing new VOIP features and thus encouraging thousands of people to try it while failing to mention, let alone address the fact that 85% of polled users can't make the underlining product work and that it is and always has been too unreliable to use in any capacity is extremely aggravating to me and the people I worked with. I can only imagine how many other people have wasted time trying to fix problems that they initially thought were on their end. Furthermore, the fact that it has always been like this is pathetic.

We are (very unhappily) resigned once again to using SRS, a software that, despite being made by a small or solo unpaid team completely unaffiliated with ED, put's ED's VOIP completely to shame just on the basis of being functional alone. If at some point ED fixes this 'product' we might be bothered to try it again, but given that it has been like this for well over a year, we aren't holding our breaths.

• Like 2

• ED Team
4 minutes ago, ACS_Dev said:

I have posted and then deleted multiple rants in this thread as I have gone through the process of trying to get VOIP to work with various people. I will try to keep this concise.

I assumed ED's VOIP worked on a basic level because Wags made a video on new features coming to it in 2.9. I was eager to try it, and being a server host/mission creator, I was willing to go through the steps to host.

In the video Wags said he had no friends but had he managed to muster even a couple of ED's alleged 180+ employees to actually test the software I am confident he would have run into the same problems as everyone else in this thread has. Of course I actually tested it and found over the course of many, many wasted hours (and many more wasted hours by the people who trusted my belief that ED's VOIP functioned at the most basic level) that the ED's VOIP is just broken and useless. Now they are rightfully fed up with it and don't want to touch it again. I initially thought it was on my end but over the course of those wasted hours and looking in these threads I learned the truth about it and ED's product.

The fact that Wags made and posted a video showcasing new VOIP features and thus encouraging thousands of people to try it while failing to mention, let alone address the fact that 85% of polled users can't make the underlining product work and that it is and always has been too unreliable to use in any capacity is extremely aggravating to me and the people I worked with. I can only imagine how many other people have wasted time trying to fix problems that they initially thought were on their end. Furthermore, the fact that it has always been like this is pathetic.

We are (very unhappily) resigned once again to using SRS, a software that, despite being made by a small or solo unpaid team completely unaffiliated with ED, put's ED's VOIP completely to shame just on the basis of being functional alone. If at some point ED fixes this 'product' we might be bothered to try it again, but given that it has been like this for well over a year, we aren't holding our breaths.

As we have mentioned before, the feedback we get from public testing helps us make the voice chat even better. We test internally with a wide range of testers, but nothing can really test a new feature like a mass public test as we have been doing. For many Voice chat is working well, for others it is not, the data we are gathering will help iron out the issues. 

There will be more tweaks and updates in the future, ranting here will not help the team at all, but you have given your feedback, please continue to be patient.

thank you

7 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

As we have mentioned before, the feedback we get from public testing helps us make the voice chat even better. We test internally with a wide range of testers, but nothing can really test a new feature like a mass public test as we have been doing. For many Voice chat is working well, for others it is not, the data we are gathering will help iron out the issues. 

There will be more tweaks and updates in the future, ranting here will not help the team at all, but you have given your feedback, please continue to be patient.

thank you

Did it work for your testers? I have tried it with at least half a dozen people not including myself on multiple servers including my own and I couldn't get it to work consistently for any of them. Also it has been well over a year since people started reporting these problems as evidenced by previous posts on this forum, yet today the same issues remain. What data are you looking for and when do you estimate you will have enough?

• ED Team
1 minute ago, ACS_Dev said:

Did it work for your testers? I have tried it with at least half a dozen people not including myself on multiple servers including my own and I couldn't get it to work consistently for any of them. Also it has been well over a year since people started reporting these problems as evidenced by previous posts on this forum, yet today the same issues remain. What data are you looking for and when do you estimate you will have enough?

It works for nearly all of the testers, as mentioned a public wider test here is what we needed to really test it, which is what we have done. 

If you are having issues post your dcs log from the same session, and your dxdiag so we can look at your hardware setup.

thanks

1 minute ago, BIGNEWY said:

It works for nearly all of the testers, as mentioned a public wider test here is what we needed to really test it, which is what we have done. 

If you are having issues post your dcs log from the same session, and your dxdiag so we can look at your hardware setup.

thanks

I have no logs for the most recent session. I will generate some tomorrow most likely.

Until there will be external client support or library to interact with the voice chat, we'll be unable to migrate other tools like ATIS, LOTATC, Mission Scripting, etc.. that we currently have running on SRS for our servers, that's mean that apart a quick session of testing and single missions, our flight groups still relies on SRS.

So please consider to add external support alongside improving/tweaking, adding feature, or people will not going to use it anyway.

• Thanks 1

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

Support us on twitch subscribing with amazon prime account linked, it's free!

3 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

thanks

That "nearly" sounded very bad 🤭 but I thank the ED team for being on it and not falling on deaf ears.👍