Harrier weight higher than it should be?

bkthunder

According to Razbam's official manual:

nullEmtpy weight:

• Manual: 13,968 lb
  • DCS mission editor: 15,966 lb

Loaded weight:

• Manual: 22,295 lb
  • DCS mission editor: 23,724 lb

MTOW:

• Manual: 31,000 lb
  • DCS mission editor: 31,085 lb

What gives?

image.png

image.png

Edited by bkthunder
  • Like 4

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

and the VREST page ingame shows again a different weight. I noticed it when I wanted to make VTOL Loadouts and they showed ~20500lbs in the ME roughly 1000lbs more in game.

One thing I can think of are the 500lbs of demineralized water, but then there´s still 500lbs missing.

I don't think the AV-8B pylons can be removed IRL (not operationally), so wouldn't make sense to state the weight without pylons in the manual

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

22 hours ago, buur said:

they can be removed IRL, that is the reason that weight and drag index are mentioned in the manuals.

Also you must add the weight of the pilot. (~180lb)

TIL! 
I have actually never seen a picture of a AV8B without pylons.
If they can be removed why don't we have this option in DCS, like we do with other airplanes?

look at your first picture. It clearly shows a AV8B without pylons. And this is the picture where the weight stands. So you need a deep look into the document where you get this picture to get an idea what they mentioned with empty weight. With/without pilot? With/without non consumable fuels like hydraulic oils. With/without re-fueling probe and so on ...

Why you can't remove the pylons in DCS? Because RAZBAM never saw a picture of an actual Harrier without pylons. So they do not add this feature.

If you check the "Civil Plane" checkbox, it takes off 500 lbs. 
That might be the pylons, though they aren´t removed visually.

Weirdly enough you can add or remove the 500 lbs. of water in the mission editor, but it doesn´t change the weight.