Mi8 Issues. Many of them.

Miccara

I have an 80-mile trip built into one of our multi-player missions which an Mi8 must fly. Several issues have come up while testing. During the first few tests, the Mi8 ran out of fuel approximately 65-70 miles into the trip (tried several flights with the same result). The aircraft starts out with 100% fuel showing. About 12:36 minutes into the flight (flying @ 92% power, 97% main rotor, level flight, on autopilot, engine temp show about 82 on the gauge with an airspeed of about 180-190), I get a "Main Fuel Tank Failure" warning. About 15:30 into the mission I sometimes have the tail rotor stop mid-flight for no assignable reason, while all else appears normal. This results in a loss of control and a crash. I have not turned on Random Failures (I have double-checked). The tail rotor stopping has been sporadic - every 2nd or 3rd flight. Fuel failure is constant AND fuel dramatically lowers at some point in the flight giving me an Emergency Fuel level warning. Aircraft cannot make the 80-mile trip even though leaving the FARP with 100% fuel. Running the latest Beta version. I've tested this several times. There are some other random bugs that have been showing up as well. Am I missing something obvious? Again, this is a highly repeatable problem.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Miccara said:

I have an 80-mile trip built into one of our multi-player missions which an Mi8 must fly. Several issues have come up while testing. During the first few tests, the Mi8 ran out of fuel approximately 65-70 miles into the trip (tried several flights with the same result). The aircraft starts out with 100% fuel showing. About 12:36 minutes into the flight (flying @ 92% power, 97% main rotor, level flight, on autopilot, engine temp show about 82 on the gauge with an airspeed of about 180-190), I get a "Main Fuel Tank Failure" warning. About 15:30 into the mission I sometimes have the tail rotor stop mid-flight for no assignable reason, while all else appears normal. This results in a loss of control and a crash. I have not turned on Random Failures (I have double-checked). The tail rotor stopping has been sporadic - every 2nd or 3rd flight. Fuel failure is constant AND fuel dramatically lowers at some point in the flight giving me an Emergency Fuel level warning. Aircraft cannot make the 80-mile trip even though leaving the FARP with 100% fuel. Running the latest Beta version. I've tested this several times. There are some other random bugs that have been showing up as well. Am I missing something obvious? Again, this is a highly repeatable problem.

If it's your mission, can you post a miz file here?

if not, post a track file

• Like 2

I'd start with investigating mission file as well. Turning off random failures option doesn't actually turn them off if failures are still defined in the mission, in aircraft properties tab IIRC.

• Like 2

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Not a complex missions creator myself I admit, but I keep reading about issues MP guys have when playing old missions after major game updates. Apparently sometimes simple re-saving the mission works, and sometimes more digging and fixing is necessary.

Of course it's possible that some new fuel system bug got indeed introduced in 2.9 (bunch of shenanigans with AI crew members were found and reported already). I just haven't flown Hip missions long enough to confirm your findings in 2.9 yet. Still, I'd take a deeper look at the parameters of the mission itself first.

• Like 2

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2023 at 2:54 AM, admiki said:

If it's your mission, can you post a miz file here?

if not, post a track file

Well... DCS hasn't been all that helpful in solving this issue. To recap; It seems random failures are triggered in this mission even though not set by me during development. The failures seem to only affect the helos. This is an incomplete mission (which explains some of the timing settings and positionings). Try to fly the rescue Mi8 from the FARP to the rescue point and then to the northern airport destination. It is usually plagued with failures.

Edited by Miccara
  • Like 1