Heads Up Displays

DH14300

Building a cockpit? Or, just looking for the coolest, new hardware? We have the real deal- Heads up displays for DCS. Our HUDs work with 7 DCS aircraft: F/A-18C, F-16C, A-10C, A-10C-II, F-14B, T-45C and F-15E. We provide the LUA mods to export the HUD images for you. To learn more, see photos and videos, visit us at headsupview.com

Posted with permission

DT1-5_Sml.png

SC2-6_F-16_Sml.png

SC2-6_F-18_Sml.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is a novel product for me, so I searched a bit and found this review (not the typical video, but a real written review):

https://www.skywardfm.com/post/heads-up-view-dt1-hud-unboxing-first-impression

Visited the manufacturer's website expecting to find an 800 dollar item, but I was surprised to see a price of US$ 645: https://www.headsupview.com/shop   

It's actually within my reach, and it really seems like a very desirable piece of kit ... the only downside (for me)  that I can see, is that it seems not compatible with the Viggen and Mirage 2000 .. but it works with the A-10, F-16, F-18 and (partly) with the F-15E.  Will start saving $$ and think an excuse for my wifey 🙃

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

so with this in front of you, you now have 2 huds, the physical and the one in DCS. thats is a lot of stuff in my view

Edited by Jeb

I9-9900k, 32MB, RTX2070S, 2560x1440 165hz monitor, track IR, Grass Monkey wireless Puck, Virpil T50-CM3,  Winwing Superlibra stick with Hornet and Viper grip, Winwing Orion2 with Hornet, and F15E grip, Winwing PTO, home made 2060 mounts,  Virpill ACE interceptor pedals

On 11/4/2023 at 6:33 PM, agrasyuk said:

External HUD will still use the output as it's viewport. Meaning if you dim it in game it will get dimmer on viewport. 

The proper way would be configuring the HUD device lua file to not render in game and only export. "view purposes " is the line somewhere in there. 

While the HUD kit mentioned is ever so nice and makes my wallet itch, a vestigial sense of self-preservation tells me I have to wait a while before I can justify to SWMBO. That being the case, I still want to find a half way house, and having the current HUD removed from the 'HUD View' preset and replacing it with a viewport that can be adjusted (resized) to suit in the monitorsetup .lua file would be great. 

Your statement quoted above seems to indicate that I can indeed tell the game not to render the HUD, can you expand on that? Looking at the HUD_init.lua file it quotes "purposes      = {render_purpose.GENERAL,render_purpose.HUD_ONLY_VIEW}", would removing the part "render_purpose.HUD_ONLY_VIEW" mean that the HUD view stops showing the HUD?

Cheers

Les 

Edited by lesthegrngo
  • Like 1

I just tried it, and it does work, no more HUD in HUD view. However there must be something wrong with my .lua viewport file as it doesn't show up after inserting this

HUD =
	{
		x = 400;
		y = -200;
		width = 400;
		height = 400;
	}	

I'll keep trying

the HUD_init.lua file has this at the bottom of it

dofile(LockOn_Options.common_script_path.."ViewportHandling.lua")
try_find_assigned_viewport("A_10C_HUD", "HUD")

I have tried both A_10C_HUD and HUD without success, however I have had this issue before on .lua files where it seems to be correct but something is not quite right, maybe the script characters are different or there is a space somewhere there shouldn't be

****EDIT Number 2*****

I was right, some thing was incorrect and redoing it now has it working - except now, despite the removal of the "render_purpose.HUD_ONLY_VIEW" from the HUD_init.lua file, now I have two instances of the HUD, the original and the new viewport version.

Going to the the Viewporthandling.lua file and commenting out the "render_purpose.HUD_ONLY_VIEW" line stops the original HUD from being rendered, but has the unfortunate side effect of knocking out the other viewports  when in HUD_view mode

Again, I'll keep trying....

Les

Edited by lesthegrngo
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Looks VERY interesting, I was just wondering if such a thing exists few weeks ago.

I would advise providing a few review samples to some of the respected YouTube sim-related content makers to advertise it as I'm sure prospective buyers would want an unbiased take on how well it works in sims (and combines with Track IR, for example) before pulling the trigger.

Edited by Dudikoff
  • Thanks 1

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Is this a totally new thing? Because I've been looking for weeks! I thought for sure Google would have returned this result by now. Great find! And instructions for how to edit the lua files enclosed? Seems almost too good to be true.

Long gone are the old days of having to make all this stuff yourself. It is pretty amazing watching the flight sim hobby/obsession finally taking off with all the panels and designs we have to choose from now. We're truly blessed to have all these kinds of things available.

If a sim pilot wants to build an F/A-18C cockpit in the house, the biggest obstacle seems to be the significant other.

• Like 3

Is this a totally new thing? Because I've been looking for weeks! I thought for sure Google would have returned this result by now. Great find! And instructions for how to edit the lua files enclosed? Seems almost too good to be true.
Long gone are the old days of having to make all this stuff yourself. It is pretty amazing watching the flight sim hobby/obsession finally taking off with all the panels and designs we have to choose from now. We're truly blessed to have all these kinds of things available.
If a sim pilot wants to build an F/A-18C cockpit in the house, the biggest obstacle seems to be the significant other.
Kinda new, been looking all over myself. OP posted on the 2nd of November!

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...