Build in necksaver (necksafer) into the game please

fdski

It's a small thing. View that in VR twists your head 180 degrees and keeps relative as long as it is selected using a switch. 

Nothing fancy, just that. 

I know there are third party solutions for this, but i'm having such technical problems with them that i can't play the game. Should be a relatively easy implementation - one controler mapping in VR section, view -180 on X axis in VR when selected. 

Thank you. 

• Like 4

Seems like an OK thing for me, even though I don't like anything that desynchs my HMD's motion from my head, but if there are people who appreciate it, why not?

That is to say, I can already hear them coming: those perpetually self-victimizing, winning-obsessed PvP players who'll scream "EXPLOIT" and "CHEATER"!!!!!!one

Enjoy trying to talk to them 🙂 

Edited by cfrag
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, cfrag said:

That is to say, I can already hear them coming: those perpetually self-victimizing, winning-obsessed PvP players who'll scream "EXPLOIT" and "CHEATER"!!!!!!one

Enjoy trying to talk to them 🙂 

"Those people" usually aren't capable of looking any further than their own situation.

Just like you, I want my head movement to match the ingame view. The only times I had slight VR "motion sickness" issue, is when my 6dof suddenly went into 3dof 🤢.

But less mobile people should also be able to fully enjoy DCS in VR, so if this aid helps people, why not. (my father for instance, not that he plays DCS, has has a form of arthritis which doesn't allow him to look over his shoulders. So for people like him, this wish would help).

To all the MP balance obsessed people (potentially) reacting to this thread: Let DCS MP balance rest. Real life war/air combat hardly ever is balanced, so in that sense DCS MP is very realistic 😉

• Like 3

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

i'm not aware of the "it's not realistic" debate, i guess i visit the forum far too rarely. 

Given proliferation of TrackIR and ability to check 6 while turning your head about 30 degrees, i don't see a point of such debate or lack of mentioned feature in VR. 

• Like 6

i think it should be easy too do  and would help a lot . With headsets getting cheaper i think people might turn towards VR .

• Like 3

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

• 3 months later...

I have XRNeckSafer and can't do without it due to physical mobility issues. I'm very grateful to @NobiWan for supplying this software and continuing to support it. I'm just worried each time there's a DCS update that it will get broken. Please make it (or something similar) an integral part of DCS.

• Like 2

I'd be in favor of this. I'd also be in favor of adding "snap views" for VR as well that would shift the center view accordingly, to allow the view to reset/snap to a different position on all axis (not just left/right like necksafer does). 

With a couple of new modules in the works where a lot of heads down operations may be involved while programming flight plans into the onboard flight computer, etc, in VR it would definitely save the neck not having to hold a head forward/down position for an extended period of time for the.... aging ones...  in our community. 🫠

Edited by Dangerzone
  • Like 1

FDSKI from iENT Warbirds??? (Just curious!)

So long as I'm not forced to have it turned on I don't care what you do in your cockpit. I've looked into it and it makes my head feel funny, so I don't use it.

My personal solution is to utilize the rotation in my office chair to turn further than my neck actually can, in combination with F5 view. I'm somewhat limited due to injury. Not a handicap or anything, just not the range of motion I had as a younger adult.

I have a hat on my stick mapped for tactical views, Aft is my plane to ground target view, Left is F5 plane to closest plane view, Right is F6 missile view, Fwd is F1 back to cockpit.

Edited by Antix70
  • Thanks 1

Why would anyone use a full 180 snap in VR, a 130 degree would be plenty to do six checks, you still have your field of view of at least over 90 degrees in most headsets, so take half that plus a little more neck twist flexibility for 50 + added degrees to get a nice rear view. 

A full 180 would be way to extreme and disorientating.  With the extra half FOV and remaining neck turning ability you could literally see your opposite wing looking back, no thanks.  And if the rear snap view is solidly locked in VR its hello puke city, especially when holding it while flying, while looking fully backwards.  

• Like 1

On 2/27/2024 at 9:12 PM, Antix70 said:

FDSKI from iENT Warbirds??? (Just curious!)

Same one. That was 2 decades ago 🙂 Heyya Antix, long time !!!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, fdski said:

Same one. That was 2 decades ago 🙂 Heyya Antix, long time !!!!

I've not run into many people from that era over here. I think you're the second one. Glad to see you're still breathin'. Looking at the Blue Skies thread on agw, quite a few have moved on.

16 hours ago, Antix70 said:

I've not run into many people from that era over here. I think you're the second one. Glad to see you're still breathin'. Looking at the Blue Skies thread on agw, quite a few have moved on.

well, offtopic on AGW is sure full of old timer dweebs 🙂

• Like 2

On 3/3/2024 at 6:36 AM, Nodak said:

Why would anyone use a full 180 snap in VR, a 130 degree would be plenty to do six checks, you still have your field of view of at least over 90 degrees in most headsets, so take half that plus a little more neck twist flexibility for 50 + added degrees to get a nice rear view. 

A full 180 would be way to extreme and disorientating.  With the extra half FOV and remaining neck turning ability you could literally see your opposite wing looking back, no thanks.  And if the rear snap view is solidly locked in VR its hello puke city, especially when holding it while flying, while looking fully backwards.  

While I agree with you that a full 180 snap may not be necessary, it's worth taking the following consideration with your calculations:

First, VR headsets with 130° views are not measurements of the left-right view, but diagonal range- which is a combination of horizontal plus vertical views. (In the same way that an 80 inch TV isn't 80 inches horizontal - but less), so additional allowance needs to be made for this.

Additionally, some (most?) VR headsets are not crisp but blurry when viewing the far edges due to the lenses, etc - which would need to also have consideration and allow for the view to rotate a little further to get objects into a more clear part of the view. 

So, while 180° may not be necessary, I think the best option is allowing the user to configure what that range would be. Each person's situation will be different. (Mobility, horizontal view, and blur, plus maybe other factors we haven't even considered). That way it works for all who need it, regardless of what limitations they may or may not have. 👍

On 2/27/2024 at 8:12 PM, Antix70 said:

I've looked into it and it makes my head feel funny, so I don't use it.

Me too - but PointControl has made a massive difference to my ability to reach switches all around the various cockpits. Now I can fly aircraft (helicopters usually) that I previously couldn't - or had to use autostart with.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2