Still coming end of year?

dcsil2pilot

55 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

And you live where? emoji6.png

Screenshot_20231128_141854_Weather.jpg

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

North UK, it's been -2 here in the evenings lately which is still shorts weather, mild in the day though, a balmy 5°c.

Haven't had to break out the big coat yet anyway, can't wait for some decent snow, may actually get some this year.

• Like 1

"They say in the Air Force a landing's okay, if the pilot gets out and can still walk away,
but in the Fleet Air Arm the outlook is grim, if the landing's p*ss poor and the pilot can't swim."

I'm going to ask what I think is probably a stupid question, but doesn't Northern Hemisphere Winter start on December 1 and finish at midnight on the last day of February?  I'm in Australia, our Summer starts on the 1st of December. On March 1st, Autumn begins.

36 minutes ago, Biggus said:

I'm going to ask what I think is probably a stupid question, but doesn't Northern Hemisphere Winter start on December 1 and finish at midnight on the last day of February?  I'm in Australia, our Summer starts on the 1st of December. On March 1st, Autumn begins.

There are two types of seasons, one’s called meteorological and I forget the other. One of them follows the calendar months you just mentioned, the other runs later and follows weather patterns instead of the calendar. So when something is announced as arriving ‘during winter’ you go with the later dates unless they specify otherwise, since it’s still ‘winter’ until both have passed. I’m sure someone else can explain it better.

I’m in Perth, and I can say our late spring has been effing boiling!

• Like 1

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

DSD Flight Series button controller, XK-24, Oculus Rift (HM-A)

4 hours ago, Horns said:

There are two types of seasons, one’s called meteorological and I forget the other. One of them follows the calendar months you just mentioned, the other runs later and follows weather patterns instead of the calendar. So when something is announced as arriving ‘during winter’ you go with the later dates unless they specify otherwise, since it’s still ‘winter’ until both have passed. I’m sure someone else can explain it better.

I’m in Perth, and I can say our late spring has been effing boiling!

Thanks @Horns.  The only time I've ever seen this alternate seasonal phenomena before was in the lead up to the Tomcat.  And yes, it's been a really weird Spring for me too.  I'm a few hundred km east of Melbourne and it has been alternating between extreme wintery weather one week and the next it's like the height of summer.  The only way I know it's Spring is that my hayfever is probably the worst it's ever been!

Anyway, where Phantom?

5 hours ago, Biggus said:

I weep for humanity. 

Seasons are determined by the Earth’s orbit around the sun. The Earth’s axis is tilted away from perpendicular to its orbital plane. 

When the northern pole is pointed at the sun, it is the summer solstice, the point when the sun is highest in the sky. It is also when the southern pole is pointed away and is winter solstice in the southern hemisphere. This occurs on June 21. This is the longest day in the northern hemisphere and the shortest in the southern. Summer begins in the northern and winter in the southern hemisphere. 

The northernmost line on the earth that the sun can be seen directly overhead on this day is the Tropic of Cancer, 

Three months later, neither pole is pointed at the sun. Day and night lengths are equal. This the Autumnal Equinox in the northern hemisphere, marking the beginning of Autumn.

On December 22, the situation of six months prior is reversed. The Winter Solstice in the north marks the shortest day and beginning of winter. In the south, it is opposite, longest day and start of summer.

Three months later, neither pole is pointed at the sun. Day and night lengths are equal. This the Vernal Equinox in the northern hemisphere, marking the beginning of Spring.

• Like 8

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

24 minutes ago, =475FG= Dawger said:

I weep for humanity. 

Seasons are determined by the Earth’s orbit around the sun. The Earth’s axis is tilted away from perpendicular to its orbital plane. 

I do too weep for humanity because people are trying to be smartasses while being ignorant.

What you describe is an astronomical definition which is not the only one that people use.

• Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, sparrow88 said:

I do too weep for humanity because people are trying to be smartasses while being ignorant.

What you describe is an astronomical definition which is not the only one that people use.

All other “definitions” are derived from the astronomical definition and are arbitrary. 

The astronomical seasons happen on the same day no matter what calendar one chooses to use while a calendar dependent definition has no validity outside that calendar. 

• Like 5

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

• ED Team

Hi all, 

as this thread is now redundant we will close it. Please keep following news and dev updates for information about a release date. 

thank you 

• Thanks 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2