New Varjo XR4 released......

Fish

49 minutes ago, Brainfreeze said:

Makes no sense for DCS at this point anyways 🤷🏻‍♂️

Not so sure about that. The price is "ridiculous", especially if one needs to upgrade the gfx-card as well.... however...

My main issue has always been the lack of mixed-reality in normal consumer-grade vr-headsets. I always fumble looking for the gear lever never mind interacting with the up-front-controller in the F-16/18. The XR4 allows the use of button boxes to seamlessly integrate because of the passthrough feature. Granted, this is no longer a hobby but a money-pit and I am not sure if I'd actually buy it. It is getting interesting though after the VR industry has been at a standstill for many years now.

I'm looking forward to the reviews...

• Like 1

"It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage..."

It's pricey, but it's also state-of-the-art. It'll probably take a year or two for consumer software and hardware to catch up. That said ... I'll give it a year and see where it goes.

I mean, didn't Apple have a $1200 monitor stand at one point? LOL 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, TimberWolf said:

First impressions don't sound that promising, especially for the price:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DQaDXgtge8

To be fair, the xr4 isn't marketed for gamers; to buy it for only gaming is just a bit silly 🙂

Edited by edmuss
  • Like 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey fellas, I have the Varjo XR-4 and have been testing it for the last few days.

So here are things you will want to consider for DCS.

1. I have not been able to boot DCS in MT mode with this headset. It only works in the original exe file thus far. Still playing with it.

2. The speaker volume in DCS is pretty low but is loud in other games. Go figure. 

3. The resolution is amazing. If I turn on labels and find an aircraft 6 nm away, then turn off labels, I can still see the aircraft (or dot) The eye tracking works incredibly well and the FOV is outstanding. 

4. The weight is still a bit heavy. Right between an Index and a Pimax. Closer to a Pimax but not nearly as bad.

5. It has to be launched using the Varjo base software which has to launch Steam VR to connect for DCS. I haven't really tried any other games yet as far as using or setting up the headset.

6. The pass through to see your keyboard is amazing, but for some reason, doesn't work in DCS. 

The system I am running is the Ryzen 9 7950X 3D / Zotac amped extreme 4090 w 24 gb ram / 64 gb of DDR5 ram running at 6000Mhz / ROG Strix X607E-E Mother board.

I will post more results later. If anyone can figure out why it won't boot in MT I am all ears. 

6 hours ago, Condor060 said:

Hey fellas, I have the Varjo XR-4 and have been testing it for the last few days.

1. I have not been able to boot DCS in MT mode with this headset. It only works in the original exe file thus far. Still playing with it.

2. The speaker volume in DCS is pretty low but is loud in other games. Go figure. 

3. The resolution is amazing. If I turn on labels and find an aircraft 6 nm away, then turn off labels, I can still see the aircraft (or dot) The eye tracking works incredibly well and the FOV is outstanding. 

4. The weight is still a bit heavy. Right between an Index and a Pimax. Closer to a Pimax but not nearly as bad.

5. It has to be launched using the Varjo base software which has to launch Steam VR to connect for DCS. I haven't really tried any other games yet as far as using or setting up the headset.

6. The pass through to see your keyboard is amazing, but for some reason, doesn't work in DCS. 

The system I am running is the Ryzen 9 7950X 3D / Zotac amped extreme 4090 w 24 gb ram / 64 gb of DDR5 ram running at 6000Mhz / ROG Strix X607E-E Mother board.

I will post more results later. If anyone can figure out why it won't boot in MT I am all ears. 

Def looking forward to hearing your experience with this headset.  I’m intrigued by the possibilities of the AR/pass through functionality and the build out/use of cockpit systems like the Winwing FA-18 MIP.  Certainly expect that there’d be some compatibility and other issues to sort out in the short term

i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz, ASUS ROG Z390 MAXIMUS XI HERO, ASUS GeForce RTX 2080Ti 11GB, 32GB DDR4 @ 3866MHZ, 1TB Intel 660P M.2 NVMe SSD, 1TB WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD, Oculus Rift S

4 hours ago, Phantom711 said:

@Condor060

I am absolutely not familiar with Varjo, but since you seem to launch via SteamVR.... Do you have SteamVR set as your OpenXR runtime?

Yes, Also, I have figured out a few more problems

If you launch in MT without the forced VR or forced XR it works.
I put some tape over the speakers to make a shaped cone to direct the sound to my ears and it is plenty loud now. The speakers are directed down instead of towards your ear so the small cones make a huge difference.

3 minutes ago, Twwhitey said:

Def looking forward to hearing your experience with this headset.  I’m intrigued by the possibilities of the AR/pass through functionality and the build out/use of cockpit systems like the Winwing FA-18 MIP.  Certainly expect that there’d be some compatibility and other issues to sort out in the short term

The pass through works awesome and you can see the keyboard like its real. I can even  read text on my phone. Its really good. But I haven't found a way to use it in DCS yet. I am sure there will be a patch in the future for DCS but looking down gives me about a 30% of the screen looking down. More than enough to use external boards to throw switches and buttons. throttles, and keyboards. maybe I haven't figured it out yet but I am using the same settings to make it work in other games, just not working in DCS yet.

1 hour ago, Condor060 said:

The pass through works awesome and you can see the keyboard like its real. I can even  read text on my phone. Its really good. But I haven't found a way to use it in DCS yet. I am sure there will be a patch in the future for DCS but looking down gives me about a 30% of the screen looking down. More than enough to use external boards to throw switches and buttons. throttles, and keyboards. maybe I haven't figured it out yet but I am using the same settings to make it work in other games, just not working in DCS yet.

That’s DEFINITELY promising to hear about the pass through functionality…. some real early reviews I saw online downplayed the image pass through image quality in the headset which was a concern but it would make sense that this was still a little early to make final opinions (with drivers and Base software still likely in a state of dev)

A few months ago I watched some the Varjo developer videos on Youtube demonstrating how to setup custom masks in XR using their ‘Varjo Lab Tools” where you can create markers and tags in your XR environment to frame out where you want the VR image vs. where the pass through imagery should be displayed… using Chroma Key is another option (which I haven’t fully absorbed yet)… anyhow this was for the XR-3 but it looks like in your screenshots (#5) of the Varjo Base software Chromo Key and “Marker” setup is something you can toy with in Varjo Base once you figure out how to get DCS / Varjo to play nice with pass through tech…cool stuff

I’ve been waiting for this headset to be released for non-business (retail users) so I’ll be eagerly subscribing to this thread to hear how it’s going, keep those of us who are interested posted on your progress!

i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz, ASUS ROG Z390 MAXIMUS XI HERO, ASUS GeForce RTX 2080Ti 11GB, 32GB DDR4 @ 3866MHZ, 1TB Intel 660P M.2 NVMe SSD, 1TB WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD, Oculus Rift S

13 hours ago, Condor060 said:

Ever used a Crystal? I'm interested in the difference in FOV. On paper they seem to be close. 110 deg for the Crystal vs 120 for the XR4.

Pentium II 233Mhz | 16MB RAM | 14.4kb Modem | 1.44MB Floppy Disk Drive | Windows 3.1 with TM Warthog & TrackIR 5

3 hours ago, eFirehawk said:

Ever used a Crystal? I'm interested in the difference in FOV. On paper they seem to be close. 110 deg for the Crystal vs 120 for the XR4.

I had the Pimax 8X. Never used the Crystal. I purchased the counter weights to balance the headset which was fine. And the Pimax had decent resolution. But for the weight and the generated heat making my face sweat, my best go to headset has been the Index. I have owned the HTC Vive pro, Pimax, Oculus, Oculus quest, Valve Index, and several other early versions. 

And the only headset that hits all the buttons for me is the Index. Largest sweet spot, largest FOV, best sound, lightest weight, and the front accessory cooling fan even keeps your face cool playing for hours. I get around 2500 X 2500 per eye at 150% resolution. Which isn't the highest resolution but given all the other headset parameters, the FOV and sweet spot make up the difference by far. But thats just my own personal preference. 

As far as the Varjo goes, the 5300 X 5300 per eye at 100% resolution is staggering. And for those fighter pilots who need to see that extra distance to see a bogey in the air, its a real game changer. I mainly fly helos but with the Varjo its making me think more about fixed wing encounters. Flying to the Super carrier and seeing the ball is just incredible to say the least. I did a test just to see how far I can spot other aircraft and I cheated a bit because I'm not used to picking out other aircraft.

I used the labels to pick out other aircraft to get distance. Once spotted I turned off the labels. And I can see the dots clearly and continue to track them at 6.7 nm. Not really sure how this compares to other headsets but thats what I could see. I am going to test that in IL2 as well. 

Edited by Condor060

9 hours ago, Twwhitey said:

That’s DEFINITELY promising to hear about the pass through functionality…. some real early reviews I saw online downplayed the image pass through image quality in the headset which was a concern but it would make sense that this was still a little early to make final opinions (with drivers and Base software still likely in a state of dev)

A few months ago I watched some the Varjo developer videos on Youtube demonstrating how to setup custom masks in XR using their ‘Varjo Lab Tools” where you can create markers and tags in your XR environment to frame out where you want the VR image vs. where the pass through imagery should be displayed… using Chroma Key is another option (which I haven’t fully absorbed yet)… anyhow this was for the XR-3 but it looks like in your screenshots (#5) of the Varjo Base software Chromo Key and “Marker” setup is something you can toy with in Varjo Base once you figure out how to get DCS / Varjo to play nice with pass through tech…cool stuff

I’ve been waiting for this headset to be released for non-business (retail users) so I’ll be eagerly subscribing to this thread to hear how it’s going, keep those of us who are interested posted on your progress!

It was pretty amazing to look down 45 degrees and see everything as clear as I did. To give you an example, its (almost) like using your phone to see your desktop. Now understand it isn't nearly the resolution your phone provides, but its just as clear. You can tell its looking through a video device obviously, but I can read text on my phone effortlessly. So being able to use a cockpit and read the dials and labels will be no problem what so ever. I will try and post a picture or possible a video. 

There is a record section in the software so I am going to play with it to see if I can post some resolution videos for you guys. I will find a way. lol 

35 minutes ago, Condor060 said:

I had the Pimax 8X. Never used the Crystal. I purchased the counter weights to balance the headset which was fine. And the Pimax had decent resolution. But for the weight and the generated heat making my face sweat, my best go to headset has been the Index. I have owned the HTC Vive pro, Pimax, Oculus, Oculus quest, Valve Index, and several other early versions. 

And the only headset that hits all the buttons for me is the Index. Largest sweet spot, largest FOV, best sound, lightest weight, and the front accessory cooling fan even keeps your face cool playing for hours. I get around 2500 X 2500 per eye at 150% resolution. Which isn't the highest resolution but given all the other headset parameters, the FOV and sweet spot make up the difference by far. But thats just my own personal preference. 

As far as the Varjo goes, the 5300 X 5300 per eye at 100% resolution is staggering. And for those fighter pilots who need to see that extra distance to see a bogey in the air, its a real game changer. I mainly fly helos but with the Varjo its making me think more about fixed wing encounters. Flying to the Super carrier and seeing the ball is just incredible to say the least. I did a test just to see how far I can spot other aircraft and I cheated a bit because I'm not used to picking out other aircraft.

I used the labels to pick out other aircraft to get distance. Once spotted I turned off the labels. And I can see the dots clearly and continue to track them at 6.7 nm. Not really sure how this compares to other headsets but thats what I could see. I am going to test that in IL2 as well. 

mm never owned an index interesting you still like it ? 

10 hours ago, Twwhitey said:

I found a way to record right from the Varjo. I am uploading the file to Youtube and will post it as soon as its live

10 hours ago, Twwhitey said:

Video of the Varjo pass through
Varjo Pass through

2 minutes ago, Condor060 said:

Video of the Varjo pass through
Varjo Pass through

Interesting that does look great!  Is that “look down” pass through an option in the Base software? (ie you can toggle that one and off)?  Anyhow once you’re able to get it to play nice with DCS I’d definitely start playing around with the XR marker functionality to see if I could mark out a cockpit shaped mask for the upfront cockpit displays… that’s the VR flight sim holy grail LOL

thanks for posting your experience

1 hour ago, Twwhitey said:

Interesting that does look great!  Is that “look down” pass through an option in the Base software? (ie you can toggle that one and off)?  Anyhow once you’re able to get it to play nice with DCS I’d definitely start playing around with the XR marker functionality to see if I could mark out a cockpit shaped mask for the upfront cockpit displays… that’s the VR flight sim holy grail LOL

thanks for posting your experience

Yes, you can turn it off. I can only imagine the Chroma key software is there to isolate what you want to see in the look down for a cockpit. I will play with it over the weekend and see what I can muster. I have to get the pass through working in DCS first, then I can experiment from there.

But yeah, this would be a sim and cockpit dream headset. 

• Like 1