No FB VI operating from Normandy ALGs?

Nealius

Doing some research for a Normandy sandbox mission and my historical google-fu isn't particularly good, but it seems like the few Mosquitos that operated out of Normandy ALGs were recce, bombers, or radar-equipped night fighters, and no FB MkVIs. Is this accurate? I was hoping there would be at least one squadron out there so players wouldn't have to fly all the way from the UK to do any ground pounding.

Different role?

Precision strike vs tactical support???

I can see the “DCS Logic” of avoiding the inbound flight, but IRL, presumably the Mossie’s long-range, high value and high value target mission meant there was no need to have them close to the front line?

(i.e. not a “cab rank” type role)

• Like 1

The first Second Tactical Air Force Mosquito squadron to move to the continent was No.604, who moved into Maupertus in the final days of July 1944 for night fighter operations.

Another squadron moved into Carpiquet in late August but again, they were nightfighters. Project Overlord stops at mid August before any FB.VI squadrons moved across.

We decided to turn a blind eye to the exact type and positioned Mosquitos at Maupertus in late July missions onwards.

There are errors in this table rescued from a very old and long dead website but about 90% of it is accurate for dates and locations: https://www.projectoverlord.co.uk/history/second-tactical-air-force-order-of-battle/

Edited by Skewgear
  • Like 1

DCS WWII player. I run the mission design team behind 4YA WWII, the most popular DCS World War 2 server.

https://www.ProjectOverlord.co.uk - for 4YA WW2 mission stats, mission information, historical research blogs and more.

On 12/4/2023 at 9:58 AM, Nealius said:

Doing some research for a Normandy sandbox mission and my historical google-fu isn't particularly good, but it seems like the few Mosquitos that operated out of Normandy ALGs were recce, bombers, or radar-equipped night fighters, and no FB MkVIs. Is this accurate? I was hoping there would be at least one squadron out there so players wouldn't have to fly all the way from the UK to do any ground pounding.

As far as the 2nd TAF Mosquito FB.VI units in particular, of the two wings:

• 138 Wing, Comprising
    • 107 Squadron RAF
    • 305 Squadron (Pol.)
    • 613 Squadron RAF

Didn't move to the continent to A.75 Cambrai/ Epinoy until November of 1944. During the Overlord Period they were based at RAF Lasham.

• 140 Wing, Comprising
    • 21 Squadron RAF
    • 464 Squadron RAAF
    • 487 Squadron RNZAF

Didn't move to the continent to B.87 Rosieres-en-Santerre until February of 1945. During the Overlord Period they were based initially at RAF Gravesend, moving to RAF Thorney Island on 18th June 1944.

In November 1944, 418 Squadron (RCAF) and 605 Squadron RAF became the last of nine Mosquito squadrons to move from Fighter Command to 2nd Tactical Air Force, joining No.2 Group.

They both flew into B.71 Coxyde in March 1945 and were used to fly daylight sweeps over Germany to support the final Allied advance, carrying out this role to the end of the war.

During the Overlord Operations and the Battle of Normandy, 418 Squadron was based at RAF Holmsley South, then from 14 July - 29 July 1944 at RAF Hurn and then from
29 July - 27 August 1944 at RAF Middle Wallop. 605 Squadron was based at RAF Manston throughout.

There are other FB.VI units but their primary role was supporting Bomber Command by intruding the German Night-Fighter bases in Holland and Germany, so they were more of a strategic support asset than a tactical unit and their scope of operations generally outside the boundaries of the Normandy Map we have in DCS.

In reality all Mosquito FB.VI units - even the 2nd TAF and ADGB units - during this time period were operating primarily (though not exclusively) at night.

Edited by DD_Fenrir
  • Like 1

Thanks guys. Sounds kinda like our Mosquito is slightly out-of-place for what we have, with exception to the Amiens raid I guess. I'll just fictionalize stuff for playability then instead of trying to get everything accurate. I suspect Reflected had to do a bit of the same with V for Victory though I haven't started that campaign yet. 

I tried some night flying around Normandy, post-1945 so lights were on, and holy hell was it disorienting. I can't imagine doing it during wartime blackouts. 

Edited by Nealius

33 minutes ago, Nealius said:

Thanks guys. Sounds kinda like our Mosquito is slightly out-of-place for what we have, with exception to the Amiens raid I guess. I'll just fictionalize stuff for playability then instead of trying to get everything accurate. I suspect Reflected had to do a bit of the same with V for Victory though I haven't started that campaign yet. 

I tried some night flying around Normandy, post-1945 so lights were on, and holy hell was it disorienting. I can't imagine doing it during wartime blackouts. 

Mosquitos were stationed in North Africa. How about a desert campaign?  Use the Persian Gulf Map for Tunisia/Lyba?  Let's take it to Rommel! 

Not necessarily. You have some daylight options:

1. Châtellerault

487Sqn ORB June 11-12 1944 .PNG

Note:

• "Trucks" is a British description for railway wagons - the Wing was striking fuel wagons reserved for use by the advancing 2nd SS Panzer Division
  • Whilst 2030 may seem late, at the time the Britain was operating on GMT+2 so the actual time GMT was 18:30; plenty of daylight left.

2. Bonnieul Matours Raid487Sqn ORB July 14-15 1944 .PNG

3. Caserne des Dunes Barracks, Poitiers, August 1st 1944, 140 Wing. Takeoff time: 19:40 hrs

s-l1600.jpg

4. SS Police HQ, Chateau de Fou, Châtellerault, & Chateau Maulny, <no location found> details , August 2nd 1944, 107 Sqn & 305 Sqn (138 Wing)

Chateau de Fou:

255000195-5.jpg

5. German Submariner Rest Home, Chateau de Trevarez, St Goazec, August 2nd 1944, 613Sqn (138 Wing)

large_000000 (2).jpg

6. SS Barracks, large school building, Egletons, August 19th 1944, 138 Wing

large_000000 (3).jpg

Edited by DD_Fenrir
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, DD_Fenrir said:

Note:

• "Trucks" is a British description for railway wagons

LOL - Had to explain the word “lorry” to a Texan on a client call a few years ago🤣🤣🤣

The phrase “lorry movements” caused utter confusion 

Edited by rkk01

On 12/6/2023 at 7:06 PM, DD_Fenrir said:

Whilst 2030 may seem late, at the time the Britain was operating on GMT+2 so the actual time GMT was 18:30; plenty of daylight left.

Don’t forget that this is summer in Normandy - it is not completely dark even at midnight. Most “night” missions would have been at “dusk” light conditions.

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!