Best cruise / range settings?

rkk01

image.png

image.png

So based on the above, 200 KTAS at sea level = ~77 Gallons/hour (light version), and with 100 gallon fuel tanks you have a total of about 650 gallons, would be an endurance of 8.4 hours at 200 KTAS gives you 1680nm range.

Edited by razo+r
  • Thanks 1

I did that flight using the Mustang, just to see if I could.

• Like 1

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

9 hours ago, Mr_sukebe said:

I did that flight using the Mustang, just to see if I could.

Did the Merlin run for that long…?😮

The two doubts I have about the long Falklands - Patagonia flight are:

1. Will I get bored…🤣

2. Will the engines run for anything like that time…

If I read the above from @razo+r correctly, it means basically to set +7 boot, lean/weak mixture, lower turbo gear (if possible to maintain +7), and adjust RPM to “lowest practicable r.p.m”.

What does the latter mean? Set +7 boost, then reduce RPM until I can no longer hold +7 boost? At moderate altitudes I expect this would mean full throttle forward and some very reduced RPM - will this not kill the engine in DCS? I currently never reduce the RPM below 2650 because every time I do the engine dies in a few minutes.

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

2350rpm and +7lbs boost is an economical way of crossing the Channel. Burns about 30 gallons per tank from takeoff to feet dry at the far end while flying at 50ft, so about 110nm.

There's no reason you couldn't drop the revs further. The Spitfire happily cruises forever at 2000rpm/+2lbs, for example. In the Mossie I'd pull the throttles well back, pull the revs to 1850rpm and then throttle up to +7lbs in weak mixture for max fuel economy.

Otherwise I follow the pilots' notes, remembering to convert knots to statute mph for the speeds because the 1950 edition seems to be at odds with the actual aeroplane's units.

The key thing is to watch the oil pressure to keep it below ~110psi and avoid going over 8lbs boost. Our simulated Merlin seems happiest with lean mixtures (at and below 7lbs in auto mixture) at any low rpm setting.

• Thanks 1

DCS WWII player. I run the mission design team behind 4YA WWII, the most popular DCS World War 2 server.

https://www.ProjectOverlord.co.uk - for 4YA WW2 mission stats, mission information, historical research blogs and more.

The manual includes recommendations of settings for long cruise.  It’s worth a look.  And yes, made it there and back.

• Thanks 1

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

1 hour ago, Mr_sukebe said:

The manual includes recommendations of settings for long cruise.  It’s worth a look.  And yes, made it there and back.

How long did it take?

DCS WWII player. I run the mission design team behind 4YA WWII, the most popular DCS World War 2 server.

https://www.ProjectOverlord.co.uk - for 4YA WW2 mission stats, mission information, historical research blogs and more.

Hours.  I deliberately identified a distance roughly equating to the distance from southern England to northern Germany.