New model B-1B, payload doors.

Go to solution Solved by Flappie,

Only noticed as passing, decided to latch for a while, and noticed that the bomb bay doors are partly cracked open. The B-1B was still circa 70NM from target, and for the duration of my forming up, the doors neither closed fully nor opened, they just stayed as seen here.

B-1B loadout was full load of GBU-31. A/C at 27000ft and .95M.

Screenshot taken, no track I'm afraid.

Screen_231208_230958.jpg

Edited by G.J.S

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

1 hour ago, Flappie said:

It's not a bug, it's for real. Doors don't open fully when the aircraft is equipped with the revolver bomb station.

B-1B bombing2.trk 56.34 kB · 0 downloads B-1B bombing.trk 62.73 kB · 0 downloads

I flew with it for just over 10 minutes in total, on the B-1b’s ingress when it was nowhere near its release point, and left it when it was around 70NM from its target area. The doors were never closed, just cracked in this partial open configuration and stayed in the same, which seemed odd and unlikely behaviour for the real thing (why increase your RCS greatly?).

Just to re-iterate, this was BEFORE any weapons release - long before - and not in the target area.

I didn’t see the B-1 during its entire flight, only for a little over 10 minutes before departing to RTB. The doors were cracked before I latched on wing, remained so during my following, and was the same upon my departure from it.

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

@Flappie

The problem isn't that the doors only partially open (as it should with single stores on the rotary launcher) it's that, when the GBU-31(V)1/B, GBU-31(V)3/B or GBU-38(V)1/B is carried, the doors open as soon as the waypoint with the bombing task(s) is reached, even if the target is nowhere near in range. With the GBU-38, the doors open fully (as they should, though note that in DCS, the B-1B can carry far more GBU-38s than it could IRL before the MPRL upgrade).

In the tracks below I have the B-1B starting close to the western extremity of the Black Sea, a waypoint with the bombing tasks is located ~8 nmi ahead (or about a minute into the track), with a target located in Tuapse ~480 nmi away from the B-1B's starting position.

When the B-1B passes the waypoint with the bombing tasks, the doors open immediately, despite the aircraft being far out of range (it's not until ~50 minutes into the track, where the aircraft is in range to drop - don't worry, I have been fairly liberal with the time acceleration).

B-1B_doors_GBU-31V1.trkB-1B_doors_GBU-31V3.trkB-1B_doors_GBU-38V1.trk

Another few items to note:

• In DCS, it's either all bays open or all bays closed, even for bays that are unloaded or empty. IRL, it's possible for only doors of the required bay(s) be open, while others remain closed - see this image of a B-1B releasing an AGM-158C LRASM from the forward bay - the intermediate and aft bays remain closed.
  • When a bombing task is completed the bomb bays start closing despite there still being bombing tasks to complete that are in range (as seen in the above tracks), this leads to the doors beginning to close only to immediately open again, over and over again. It would be better if the doors remained open so long as a bombing task is in the queue and the bomber is either approaching or is in-range (this bug also applies to the B-52H). EDIT: So instead of just closing immediately upon completion of the bombing task, first check to see if there's another in the queue and if there are, check to see if the target is in-range. If there isn't another in the queue, or if there are, but they're out of range, or if the bomber is engaged defensive, then only then should the doors close. 

Edited by Northstar98
Small addendum on how the logic should maybe work
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

On 12/10/2023 at 12:16 PM, Northstar98 said:
  • In DCS, it's either all bays open or all bays closed, even for bays that are unloaded or empty. IRL, it's possible for only doors of the required bay(s) be open, while others remain closed - see this image of a B-1B releasing an AGM-158C LRASM from the forward bay - the intermediate and aft bays remain closed.

I'm told there's only one global animation for bay doors for now. I'll ask for the change.

The rest is now fixed internally.

• Like 2

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

1 hour ago, Flappie said:

I'm told there's only one global animation for bay doors for now. I'll ask for the change.

The rest is now fixed internally.

That one is probably more of a minor thing - at least the main item is fixed :thumbup:

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.