Update the Dora

MiGCap1

Nobody has a wish? Then I will start.

The Dora is one of the oldest WW2 aircraft in DCS. This bird was the reason I paid Kickstarter money in 2014. But that is nearly a decade ago. DCS has evolved a lot. And the older modules are a little bit left behind.

My wish: Do not overhaul only the Allied WW2 aircraft. Think also of the fans of the German stuff. More clickable solutions (like for example the safety lever on the stick, the 109 has it), better optics etc.

And the pilot would look much better with correct net flight cap and correct late war goggles, a jacket according to 1944/45 and please, please remove the Knights Cross, there were only few KC holders flying the Dora in the last months of the war. Looks silly when every squadron pilot in a flight has this decoration. Isn't worth the effort? Then look what Heatblur does with the flight crew of the Phantom and how the DCS players like it ... there are often the small things which make the difference between good and WOW!

My five cents.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

• 3 months later...

Love the Dora and was my first DCS aircraft... But when i got into a Fw190A. The difference with detail/damage etc is kind of making me feel like the Dora has been left behind, considering these to aircraft are nearly the same from the canopy back ( granted longer ) I would have taught the update would have been easier than other aircraft updates.

I understand it updates are mostly down to what consumers deem popular etc...  But Dora seems like an easy one... 

• Like 2

PC : MSI B650 TOMAHAWK | AMD Ryzen 5 7600X | DeepCool AS500 Plus | MSI RX6800 | Kingston Fury 32Gb DDR5-5600 | Corsair Mp600 2 x  1TB | PICO4

Re-looking the pilot is a nice-to-have. I would prefer to see a realistic gun safety latch. Currently (since day one) we cannot arm it, and it automatically arms itself when you pull the trigger. That's ridiculously unrealistic.

• Like 2

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

10 hours ago, IrishStarJumper said:

I understand it updates are mostly down to what consumers deem popular etc...  But Dora seems like an easy one... 

Yes, should be not too difficult or expensive in time. Just bring it to the better detail level of the Anton (incorporate the safety lever etc.), take @Doughguy‘s new textures and skins (I am sure he will approve the official use by DCS, @Wags 😉), rework the pilot (l tried but failed to do so) and You basically have a very old DCS aircraft up to date. And You do the WW II players who like the German side a big favour. The Allied side already has more aircraft and more modern modules (like the Mosquito).

The recent February audio overhaul is already a huge deal. It's now more fun to taxi on the runway than to fly the Dora pre-update 🙂

An update to the 3D model, 3D damage model and systems damage modeling would have been great. The Yo-Yo's landing gear physics overhaul is destined for all the aircraft so it's only logical Dora gets it pretty soon.

P-51D Mustang | Testing the new landing gear physics update | DCS 2.9.4 - YouTube —

• 2 weeks later...