Quest Pro oculus link versus virtual desktop

Qcumber

17 hours ago, slughead said:

Get the Globular Cluster Comfort Kit. It solved all the comfort issues for me. I just use the replacement pads and haven’t used the strap.

Completely agree for Globular kit

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

As a cheap alternative to the comfort kit, I bought a set of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07K7DGKHN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

I use three of them over the top of the headset (side to side) and find it very comfortable.  Hated it's comfort out of the box.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

QVFR as to not working in any mode usb link or Virtual desktop.  On the virtual Desktop settings screen you have to have facial expressions checked also for it to work.  As for comfort I found that if you remove the back head cushion and flip it 180 its way way more comfortable of the forehead that way.  It's clipped on there pretty good but it will pop loose.

Ryzen7 5800X3D. 64 gb ram, 6950XT 16gb,  Winwing Orion F18, MFG Crosswind Rudder, 42 inch lg tv, Quest PRO

USN  VF31 F14A  AE2 1985-1989 CV 59 NAS Oceana

IL ANG 183FW/170FS F16 Block 30 Big Mouth 1989-2006 Full time tech Retired E8

1 hour ago, Tomcat388th said:

As for comfort I found that if you remove the back head cushion and flip it 180 its way way more comfortable of the forehead that way.

Thanks. I'll give that a go. 

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

• 1 month later...
On 12/31/2023 at 9:14 AM, Qcumber said:

Thanks. I'll give that a go. 

hi qcumber, can you explain how you connect your Virtual desktop and quest 2 with cable?, i have quest 3 and when i use the VD, some minutes later the quest 3 freezing but the PC and DCS works fine, 

9 minutes ago, piolin23000 said:

hi qcumber, can you explain how you connect your Virtual desktop and quest 2 with cable?, i have quest 3 and when i use the VD, some minutes later the quest 3 freezing but the PC and DCS works fine, 

I have a quest pro rather than Q2. I use WiFi for VD. I have managed to use a usb-ethernet adaptor with VD and my Pico 4 but have not yet worked out how to do the same with the quest. I tend to use the oculus link cable rather than VD as the quality is a bit better. 

2 minutes ago, Qcumber said:

I have a quest pro rather than Q2. I use WiFi for VD. I have managed to use a usb-ethernet adaptor with VD and my Pico 4 but have not yet worked out how to do the same with the quest. I tend to use the oculus link cable rather than VD as the quality is a bit better. 

oook, amazing, for me the VD it's 100 times better quality than link Cable of maybe i'm not configured good the Link cable, but thanks for your answer  

An update after using the QP for a few weeks. Quite simply it is a fantastic headset. DFR makes a big difference to performance. Link cable gives slightly better quality than VD. I think this is because I can push the bitrate to 960 Mbps. It is most noticeable in clarity of the cockpit gauges and distant buildings. I will aim to post my settings later. 

1 minute ago, piolin23000 said:

oook, amazing, for me the VD it's 100 times better quality than link Cable of maybe i'm not configured good the Link cable, but thanks for your answer  

You need to make sure you are comparing like for like. Oculus default resolution is very low. You need to max out the res slider and add extra SS with oculus tray tool to give you the same Res as VD. If you do this you should have similar results. Alternatively use OXRTK to override the resolution so that oculus link and VD are identical. 

I've stopped using QVFR with my 4090. I found it is causing more CPU load than without it and reducing performance.

@piolin23000VD sets render resolution for you depending on your choice, e.g. god mode etc. With the Oculus link, you must set it yourself via the slider in the Oculus settings or via the PD setting in DCS. I prefer to set the PD setting to 1.4x and leave the render resolution to 1.0x in the Oculus config. Changing the render resolution in the Oculus setting sets it for all applications using the link whereas setting it in DCS sets it only for DCS. That way I can adjust it per app as needed.

I personally Uninstalled every bit of Oculus PC software from my PC after VDXR came to life. 
VD is a quality of life improvement period. (Start VD on PC , Put headset , select VD, Done)
Link cable use to drop frames, crash and do weird <profanity>, needed to alt tab, windows scheduler wouldn't see it as a priority etc. (Official link cable in the Mobo USB too)
ASW is bit better than the VD SSW Imo but I run at 80fps Stable in MP no SSW so I couldn't care less.

I run VD at High(same as oculus 1.7x), SSW off, H264+ @ 350mbps (Router is AX3000, 2400mbps on the 160mhz band)
DCS everything on High @ MSAA 2x
5800x3d, 64GB Ram, 4090 @ 2800mhz 

I can run Godlike mode at 72fps stable WW2 servers with 50 players but PARIS !!! make it drop to 60fps and I find spotting harder.
I also experimented with High in VD  + 1.1 PD no MSAA but i'm not convinced. 

Quadview is really nice BUT the CPU overhead is just enough to drop fps into ASW SSW territory on big MP servers sadly.
As for the link cable at 960mbps, YES it's better looking until the encoder <profanity> itself in heavy MP and can't maintain 72fps and drop frames every so often.

Edited by Obic

1 hour ago, Obic said:

I personally Uninstalled every bit of Oculus PC software from my PC after VDXR came to life. 
VD is a quality of life improvement period. (Start VD on PC , Put headset , select VD, Done)

I've not yet had any major issues with oculus cable link. It automatically loads oculus desktop and connects when I put the headset on and I just launch DCS from the headset. I am a big fan of VD and used it all the time with my P4. However, since getting the QP I notice that the quality of the oculus is noticeably better than VD at the same FPS. Comparing like for like, with the same resolution and QVFR settings, the cockpit is a bit sharper and distant buildings look more natural with oculus. There is also less issues with the black mask at lower FPS. 

That's the problem I have with these type of post

What hardware is the first thing on the list that should be mentioned.
What settings in the second one

Cable Link - What bitrate - what resolution- ASW on or off - 
VD : What was your transfer rate - router speed - what codec did you use at what rate etc  (The amount of people on their discord running VD 5ghz sub 1200 mbps is baffling) 

Black mask is something I've never experience with VD 

19 hours ago, Qcumber said:

I've not yet had any major issues with oculus cable link. It automatically loads oculus desktop and connects when I put the headset on and I just launch DCS from the headset. I am a big fan of VD and used it all the time with my P4. However, since getting the QP I notice that the quality of the oculus is noticeably better than VD at the same FPS. Comparing like for like, with the same resolution and QVFR settings, the cockpit is a bit sharper and distant buildings look more natural with oculus. There is also less issues with the black mask at lower FPS. 

This is the way to go for me also when I owned the QP but as you say the pico 4 loved VD.

On 2/16/2024 at 12:43 PM, piolin23000 said:

Same for me with Quest 3 and VD. Headset can freeze up after only minutes of game play especially if in F15E, monitor still shows the headset moving around so who knows.

Switched to using air link and don’t have any dramas. 

I asked on the VD discord but was fairly fruitless. 

On 2/17/2024 at 1:45 PM, Qcumber said:

I've not yet had any major issues with oculus cable link

I think I cursed myself. I have managed to avoid the latest update but for some reason my eye tracking has stopped working with oculus. I couldn't be bothered looking for the problem so I just fired up VD and it worked without any issues. I think I will stick with VD for a little while. 

47 minutes ago, OldFlyer said:

Headset can freeze up after only minutes of game play

Have you followed all the setup advice for VD, such as dedicated router, making sure you get a decent bitrate, checking you signal strength etc.?

• Like 1

Have you followed all the setup advice for VD, such as dedicated router, making sure you get a decent bitrate, checking you signal strength etc.?
Check the qvr log to see if there are errors. Usually after a restart it works.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

5 hours ago, OldFlyer said:

Same for me with Quest 3 and VD. Headset can freeze up after only minutes of game play especially if in F15E, monitor still shows the headset moving around so who knows.

Switched to using air link and don’t have any dramas. 

I asked on the VD discord but was fairly fruitless. 

I believe the issue might be that you haven't selected the "Pass face-tracking to PC" option in the Virtual Desktop VR menu settings. (I am paraphrasing the name, not in front of my PC right now)

Mine unticked when I updated to the latest VD Build 

Edited by nikoel

On 2/18/2024 at 11:33 AM, freehand said:

I've not yet had any major issues with oculus cable link

Me too, Oculus Link provides better quality and stability and ASW is miles better that SSW from VD. VD seems to help when I use my laptop as the VRAM is limited and the VD's VRAM use is better compared to Link.

8 hours ago, nikoel said:

I believe the issue might be that you haven't selected the "Pass face-tracking to PC" option in the Virtual Desktop VR menu settings. (I am paraphrasing the name, not in front of my PC right now)

That's a requirement for eye tracking to work for VD and Qpro. I imagine won't do anything for Q3

• Like 1

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

23 hours ago, Qcumber said:

for some reason my eye tracking has stopped

I am still unable to work out why DFR is not working with oculus. I have been through the QVFR oculus set up and everything looks ok. Has anyone else had this issue? It still works ok with VD. 

5 minutes ago, Qcumber said:

I am still unable to work out why DFR is not working with oculus. I have been through the QVFR oculus set up and everything looks ok. Has anyone else had this issue? It still works ok with VD. 

Have you had a look at the QVFR log file for any clues?

Have you read through the trouble shooting guide? Troubleshooting · mbucchia/Quad-Views-Foveated Wiki (github.com)

3 minutes ago, slughead said:

Have you had a look at the QVFR log file for any clues?

That's a good idea. I should have thought of that. I'll take a look. 

1 minute ago, toni said:

Hey, is there any how to use Quest Pro fully power pluged not relying just on battery ?

Just plug a cable in from the headset to your pc and use the oculus app to create the link. If your motherboard is capable it should power the headset but the headset will still drain but slower. Alternatively get a powered cable from Amazon.

On 2/19/2024 at 1:00 AM, Qcumber said:. 

Sorry I forgot to come back to this thread, but also don’t want to derail yours so here’s some quick info for those with freezing headset.

After a lot of research (and yes after following all the VD suggestions including a dedicated wifi 6 router) I found that my major issue was related to VRAM overflow and so needed to reduce my textures from high to medium.

VD and quest link seem to deal with it differently; VD just freezes whereas quest link stutters horrendously. But anyway I’m back to VD now with no freezing 🙂

• Like 2