Too bad it's only in English...

The day a developer makes campaigns in several languages, or especially with text translations or PDFs, he'll be selling his campaigns like hotcakes.

The only reason I don't buy is that I'm French, and without a translator I can speak and understand average English if I concentrate, and it takes too much time.

When I talk about it with all the DCS drivers around me, they don't buy because it's not in French either.

So the day a mission creator takes the trouble to make it multi-lingual, he'll triple his sales.

1 hour ago, mobile83 said:

So the day a mission creator takes the trouble to make it multi-lingual, he'll triple his sales.

triple? .. I don’t know the nationality proportions of the DCS community, but I doubt that having a french version would triple the sales.

I once edited a multilingual mission for the OV-10 and it was not an easy proposition, because the timing  of a phrase in english can be quite different from its french or spanish counterparts. I wished for a function to help with this, but so far ED didn’t seem to agree:

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Biggest problem is I don't speak very good French.  So I'd have pay someone to do the not insignificant job of translating several hundred pages of documents, then re-make all said documents (a lot of time in photoshop), then translate every in game subtitle and message...of which there will be probably 4000 or so.  And maybe even re-record all the sound files in another language, which would be a huge job, and then I would need to re-test all the missions, in all their combinations, to make sure all the sound files fit together properly.

And that's just for one language...which language should I choose?  With all respect, all the data I have would suggest that French would not be the biggest opportunity for a bi-lingual campaign, so it wouldn't be the language I would choose first.

So as you can hopefully understand, it would just not be all that practical to do unless you're already fluent in the languages involved, the cost of hiring someone to do it would in my opinion make the price of the campaign too high and that would negatively affect sales.

I understand the frustration though, I'm sure I would feel the same if I were in your position.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Can't accomodate for everyone. It's an impossible task. When you jump into that rabbit hole and make a French translation, here comes the Spanish and wishes a Spanish version. Then you have the Asian crowd. A LOT of Asians from many Asian countries with very different languages play DCS.

So where would it end? 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

You can try Mizedit. I have done several times translations with google or DeepL into Spanish and they work. Maybe there is one that not, but I think a good number of them worked. I mean payware campaigns. It preserves the copy protection when saving the mission with the new language added.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/1862911/

Edited by Japo32