BS2 & BS3 : no blur effect on the engines?

Go to solution Solved by Flappie,

I noticed other modules (F18, F14B etc.)  have blurry effect on the engines on external view, but in the Blackshark this effect is no longer there. I don't know how long it's been like that.

I remember there was the blur coming out of both engines was a nice effect, at least in BS2 before the release of BS3.

In the option menu the settings is "Heat Blur = HIGH" 

The question, now, are the Ka's not exhausting heat anymore or is it a bug on my side only ?

(Using current open beta version as of today)

L'important n'est pas de tuer, mais de survivre.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

if you read this you are too curious

Well I definely can't see it at all, see attached screenshot where engines are running (BS3) and my current settings

Digital Combat Simulator  Black Shark Screenshot 2024.01.15 - 16.43.00.73.png

Digital Combat Simulator  Black Shark Screenshot 2024.01.15 - 16.43.47.64.png

Digital Combat Simulator  Black Shark Screenshot 2024.01.15 - 16.41.29.01.png

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes, I'm just talking about the rendering effect, I'm sure Iglas, Stingers and other IR launchers can "see" it with no problem

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Solution

The absence of heat blur coming from helicopters exhaust is old. I've just bumped the internal report.

All helicopters are affected by this issue (except the AH-64D which apparently does not produce heat blur at all).

Edited by Flappie

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

1 hour ago, Flappie said:

The absence of heat blur coming from helicopters exhaust is old. I've just bumped the internal report.

All helicopters are affected by this issue (except the AH-64D which apparently does not produce heat blur at all).

Thank you Flappie, at least I can stop searching all possible graphical settings to resolve the issue.

Maybe it happened after Multi Threading update of DCS. I'm not quite sure too when it stopped working, just noticed recently.

(AH-64D , I don't have that module so couldn't compare, and indeed it seems totally cold helicopter from your video)

Edited by xjiks

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

23 minutes ago, xjiks said:

Maybe it happened after Multi Threading update of DCS. I'm not quite sure too when it stopped working, just noticed recently.

No, the regression was spotted in May 2022, long before MT came out.

You can compare all helicopters: create a mission with hotstart AI units.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Flappie said:

Truth to be told I wouldn't be so sure about that.

maxresdefault.jpg

24320262425_91524640c9_o-1.webp

To me the heat haze seems to be quite noticeable... also it can be hardly seen when trying to see it above the helicopter with quite monotone background. My 2 cents though.

Helicopters don't fly, they just subdue the air.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thank you @SmukY, but your video shows the AH-64E, which uses different engines.

Can you please find an AH-64D video with heat blur visible?

Edited by Flappie

26 minutes ago, Flappie said:

Thank you @SmukY, but your video shows the AH-64E, which uses different engines.

Can you please find an AH-64D video with heat blur visible?

Hi Flappie. 

From the video you posted, it's visible that the blur is there. Not a lot of it as the run-up has only been completed, but it's there.

I mean, just using pure logic, what kind of an exhaust doesn't produce any heat blur?  

image.png

Interesting observation, was wondering about the lack of blurring on the 64, figured it was just WIP. Here you go @Flappie, video from 11 years ago so can't be an E?

Heat blur clearly visible from this angle even though it's only 720p, so whilst it may be heavily diffused there's definitely some there.

Cheers

James

• Like 1

I don't think there are many differences in exhaust output temperatures between the D and E models; in every case, it can't be less than 500 degrees Celsius and can rise up almost to 1000 degrees Celsius, which is hot. Very hot.

And yes, links are for our US friends. 😃

Edited by SmukY
  • Like 1

Helicopters don't fly, they just subdue the air.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

6 hours ago, Vakarian said:

I mean, just using pure logic, what kind of an exhaust doesn't produce any heat blur? 

I sent videos to devs so they can restore heat blur for existing helicopters. The AH-64D module never had any because the bug is older than this module.  I'm simply asking for videos so our AH-64D look as realistic as possible. No need to be condescending.

@hughesj2 The exhaust IR  suppressors covers we have in DCS are missing from the video you posted. I'm looking for a video of the exact same configuration.

Edited by Flappie

2 hours ago, Flappie said:

I sent videos to devs so they can restore heat blur for existing helicopters. The AH-64D module never had any because the bug is older than this module.  I'm simply asking for videos so our AH-64D look as realistic as possible. No need to be condescending.

Hey. Wasn't meant to be condescending, sorry if it turned out like that. 

That "I mean, just using pure logic, what kind of an exhaust doesn't produce any heat blur?" was just me saying that there shouldn't be any need for IRL proof that it should have it. Now that I look back at it, maybe you meant for videos that demonstrate how it actually looks. Ah the joys of written communication and me being bad at it.

I missed that part that the regression happened (that part I really know how can happen 🙂 ) and it'll be fixed.

Edited by Vakarian
formatting
  • Like 1