Request for advice on headphones

You don't mention sort of headphones nor budget, or type of connection, if wired or wireless....

I'd consider the Beyerdynamic gaming line. Closed or open headsets, wireless or wired (analogue jack connection), your pick.
Recently tried their MMX300 and was well impressed. Somewhat similar sound to my good old DT990 Pro (but closed, like the DT770 Pro) with a bit more bass.
Good mic as well. Really comfy and great build quality (it's Beyerdynamic after all) but these are not inexpensive.

Now, if you're willing to experiment with something different..... how about some (in-ear) wired earbuds?
If so, I'd definitely suggest the KZ Castor (Improved Bass version, with mic), plus the adaptor to make its included microphone work on PC (5ft/1.5m lenght, so adds lenght to the cable as well). This one is an inexpensive solution (thirty-something bucks?!) that actually sounds surprisingly good. It just may, or not, work for your needs.

Edited by LucShep
added links
  • Like 1

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | UAD Volt1 + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

Thanks for your suggestion 😊 I am thinking of over ear headsets with the "punch" to feel the engine noise. The HyperX I have today deliver a flat soundscape without the feel of being inside a cockpit. I want something to bring me closer to the real feel of have afterburning engines behind my back... 😏

had a cheap pair or JBL, wife got me a razer barracuda x wireless and they sound dam good... got sick of the wire so went wireless headset and IR 

• Like 1

I9-9900k, 32MB, RTX2070S, 2560x1440 165hz monitor, track IR, Grass Monkey wireless Puck, Virpil T50-CM3,  Winwing Superlibra stick with Hornet and Viper grip, Winwing Orion2 with Hornet, and F15E grip, Winwing PTO, home made 2060 mounts,  Virpill ACE interceptor pedals

Il 9/2/2024 at 15:21, LucShep ha scritto:

Now, if you're willing to experiment with something different..... how about some (in-ear) wired earbuds?
If so, I'd definitely suggest the KZ Castor (Improved Bass version, with mic), plus the adaptor to make its included microphone work on PC.
This one is an inexpensive solution (30 bucks?!) that actually sounds good. It just may, or not, work for your needs.

+1! 

L'importante non è stabilire se uno ha paura o meno, è saper convivere con la propria paura e non farsi condizionare dalla stessa. Ecco, il coraggio è questo, altrimenti non è più coraggio ma incoscienza.

4 hours ago, Aviators said:

+1! 

Noted and added to my wish list, thanks for sharing.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

The best headphones are in-ear, the audio comes out clean and perfect. I also use them to play Escape From Tarkov, where the audio makes a difference.

L'importante non è stabilire se uno ha paura o meno, è saper convivere con la propria paura e non farsi condizionare dalla stessa. Ecco, il coraggio è questo, altrimenti non è più coraggio ma incoscienza.

1 hour ago, Aviators said:

The best headphones are in-ear, the audio comes out clean and perfect. I also use them to play Escape From Tarkov, where the audio makes a difference.

Yep, I subscribe to that too.
Though I realize I'm just too accustomated to "headphone cans" and the change to IEMs hasn't been easy at all for me (so many years wearing over-ear headphones daily, too used to the format and comfort of cushy pads on my ears).

I knew the format of IEMs is different to wear, and yes, for some (like me) it needs some time to get used. But I just had to get these KZ Castor "Improved Bass version" following recommendations of "a new standard among really affordable IEMs". It could be the format, and that other IEMs are like this, but they weren't wrong.
The audio is very, very crisp, really good, nicely detailed but, with these, it's the way all the low-frequencies are reproduced (especially what people call "deep bass"), which never breaks, distorts or get muddy. I tell you... it's like it a friggin subwoofer booming (right into your bones!) yet it never gets unpleasant. 

Edited by LucShep

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | UAD Volt1 + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

It might be worth realizing there’s only so much bass you should want from headphones. When your hearing is damaged it’s gone forever. Ear buds have given people the ability to crank up audio far beyond a reasonable level. Just saying…

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

…As have headphones.

DT990 pros like Lucshep mentioned are decent.

I’ve got a choice of cans but would probably use a pair of Sony MDR-7506s at the minute. Noise cancelling studio cans sound great but I don’t wanna be that plugged in really. Mostly I’ll use no cans at all for DCS but I’ve had Beyer Dynamics etc and they’re tasty.

• Like 2

On 2/12/2024 at 7:15 PM, SharpeXB said:

It might be worth realizing there’s only so much bass you should want from headphones. When your hearing is damaged it’s gone forever. Ear buds have given people the ability to crank up audio far beyond a reasonable level. Just saying…

Meh....😏 it's like everything else - you use with moderation! 🙂 

I have already a mild tinnitus following years of heavy use of headphones (result of continuous repeat of loud engine and FX samples editing, on a daily basis).
Plus... I'm a motorcyclist that loves a deep engine rumble, who didn't want to wear ear-plugs for years on end, until too late.

If I'm not deaf yet (far from it), then you needn't be afraid about headphones. Just be moderated, that's it.
Sound is another sense that we can/should definitely enjoy. 😉 Get your audio fix, man!

Edited by LucShep

Spoiler