Recommended Terrain/Map for new player; SINAI OR NEVADA

WAR EAGLE 1

There may not be a definitive answer to my question which map would you choose if you had the choice of one or the other? Based on my research I've concluded, possibly incorrectly, that the Nevada Map is used primarily for training and becoming proficient in non-warbird modules. There seems to be a consensus that the Sinai map is one of the top 2 maps in DCS currently. Is the question answered based on short-term versus long-term...aka...learning a new module vs. being proficient in a module? It seems, that if I was proficient in any module this question would not arise every time I consider purchasing a terrain/map. I am curious about which map you would choose based on what you know now versus what you did when you started DCS (assuming both maps were available). There is a 3rd possibility and that is to wait for the Kola Map or purchase a module I do not own currently. However, these sales always force that little voice in the back of my head to race forward and tell me not to delay...purchase NOW. 

Lastly, I am curious when the F-4E module is released will most utilize the Nevada Map to become proficient in that module, or do other maps allow options that Nevada Map does? Not urgent to respond as I am leaving for work as soon as I complete this post. If anyone does respond I thank you in advance. 

Thanks in advance

Edited by WAR EAGLE 1

• WAR EAGLE 1 changed the title to Recommended Terrain/Map for new player; SINAI OR NEVADA

Depends on what you plan to do. If you are looking to fly western jets and do training in a realistic setting, definitely Nevada with NTTR mods and mission. It really is a blast for realistic training. Sad downside is that, despite having this great training map and mission, no one is using it online. So as long as you are not planning to set up a private server yourself and invite friends, it is more suited for singleplayer training. Yet worth it imho, i spent a huge amount of time on this map. The 476th vFG website also got a tool which you can access with a free account, gives info on all the target ranges and has a search function too:

image.png

image.png

From the other maps, probably the free Caucasus and the Syria map are used most. Followed by Persian Gulf and Marianas. Sinai is not played that much right now afaik because apparently performance does not seem to be that good - never had any issues with that myself, but i heard that every now and then.
(edit) oh, Kola: i do not think one should wait for that right now. They (Orbx) do not talk much and no one really knows when it is coming. This year, next year 🤷‍♂️

For training servers: tbh most multiplayer "training" servers are more "capture the flag" style tank plinking themeparks. Rarely seen anyone actually training on there.

Maybe you can give some more info on what you plan to do, what aircraft you plan to fly and on which side/nation... or, since you specifically asked for a training map(?), Nevada just might it be for you already.

Edited by Schlingel mit Kringel

About NOW, Sinai map is very buggy and unstable, bad FPS performance.
Not few owner players are frustrated with troubles.

Coming February DCS update will contain the first bugfix of Sinai map ? That's hoped, but unclear.

For new players, I think better to wait until Sinai's serious bugs will be fixed in the future.

• Like 1

Modules: A-10C/II, F-5E, F-14A/B, F-15E, F-16C, F/A-18C, AV-8B, FC3, Ka-50-2/3, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, SA342, Mi-24P, AH-64D, P-51D
Maps: Nevada, PG, Syria, SA, Sinai, Channel, Normandy2.0      Assets etc.: CA, Sc, WW2AP
Mods and Skins in User Files: files/filter/user-is-western0221/ 

Screen_221018_005618c.jpg

Personally I'd lean to Sinai.  We use it on our squadron servers and I don't hear complaints about performance.  Really no reason to pick one over the other from a training perspective.  You can do the same kind of things on both.  Not sure either of those maps have a lot of missions or campaigns (free or paid) on them.  It's more a personal preference thing.

7 hours ago, WAR EAGLE 1 said:

There may not be a definitive answer to my question which map would you choose if you had the choice of one or the other? Based on my research I've concluded, possibly incorrectly, that the Nevada Map is used primarily for training and becoming proficient in non-warbird modules. There seems to be a consensus that the Sinai map is one of the top 2 maps in DCS currently. Is the question answered based on short-term versus long-term...aka...learning a new module vs. being proficient in a module? It seems, that if I was proficient in any module this question would not arise every time I consider purchasing a terrain/map. I am curious about which map you would choose based on what you know now versus what you did when you started DCS (assuming both maps were available). There is a 3rd possibility and that is to wait for the Kola Map or purchase a module I do not own currently. However, these sales always force that little voice in the back of my head to race forward and tell me not to delay...purchase NOW. 

Lastly, I am curious when the F-4E module is released will most utilize the Nevada Map to become proficient in that module, or do other maps allow options that Nevada Map does? Not urgent to respond as I am leaving for work as soon as I complete this post. If anyone does respond I thank you in advance. 

Thanks in advance

There is a trial system. You can try out Nevada free for two weeks. Also try out Syria. Not sure if Sinai is available for trial yet but at least try Nevada and Syria.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My skins

First off, any map can be used for any purpose.  DCS is a sandbox game and there is no single map which has no greater training utility than any other.  Most modules training missions use the default Caucasus map anyway, so which ever additional maps you buy, you will be limited to 3rd party campaigns, or creating your own missions, as the training content for them will be limited, and in some cases completely absent.

NTTR has been available a lot longer than Sinai, and does feel slightly dated in some ways, but it is still a personal favourite.  Sinai is a great map, with a bit of overlap with the Syria map, it allows some interesting scenarios.  However, unlike Syria, it has no genuine NATO basing options (Incirlik & Akrotiri).  NTTR has only USAF basing options, so massive liberties must be taken when creating scenarios if you want anything other than Red Flag type training exercises, and of course you cannot use naval assets (no CVN on lake Mead!).  Sinai has potential for a modern Egypt/Israel conflict, but not much more than that, unless you are again using a lot of artistic licence to create very hypothetical missions.

TL;DR - NTTR and Sinai aren't particularly versatile if you are a stickler for authenticity, but if not then either will suit your training needs for any platform or time period.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

Also, if you want to do some solo practice, there's an excellent training campaign on NTTR, Speed and Angels, that takes you through a realistic F-14 training course, and also Iron Flag, which is an in-depth training campaign for the A-10C. Also, NTTR has a better price when on sale. Sinai has no campaigns and worse discounts, and it's still a bit of a WIP.

• Like 2

Not sure I get what you mean because Any of the maps can be used for training. Personally I like the Sinai map and South Atlantic map and seem to load those more than others. If your flying helicopters the Normandy 2 map is pretty good and has a ton of little details that make it a lot of fun. I have the Navada map and it’s probably the one I use the least also the Caucus map I don’t fly very often. Syria has a lot of fun areas to fly over and there are a ton of missions and campaigns you can download for it. I wouldn’t worry about training on one map or the other since any will work.

• Like 1

unless you are creating your own missions, take a look at the missions and campaigns (free and paid) that you would like to leverage, and then pick the map with the most that you are interested in.  Let your interest in the missions and campaigns drive the map, not the other way around.

If you just want to look out the window, choose the other sim:)

Edited by j9murphy
  • Like 2

On 2/13/2024 at 12:08 AM, WAR EAGLE 1 said:

Thanks in advance

Take Nevada. Map is simply, it means it has better FPS so you can take care better of module, not the map, also its a real place for training too. For the beginning and the first adventure with DCS its a good idea still. Here is a place where I learn new jets :).

• Like 1

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Fwiw, between Sinai and NTTR, my vote goes out to Sinai

I have a very old system and I play in VR, but Sinai performance for me is really good actually. Much MUCH better than Marianas for instance (although somehow that map runs really poor here) (and no, I don't use any mods).

NTTR is 8 years old (correct me if I'm wrong), and imho, it shows. Terrain textures are pretty decent, but the scenery (builings) is outdated, the map is relatively small and there's no sea (which doesn't have to be a problem if you don't fancy naval ops). I personally don't find it worth the full price and I even find the discount price is a bit steep. But as you read in other replies, some find this map awesome, so it's very much personal preferences.

My favorite map is Syria. South Atlantic is also beautiful, but I find it less suitable for helo ops (which I slowly came to like most in DCS). 

• Like 1

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH