CAS panel Yaw, Pitch, Roll toggles skipping center positions

rocketeer
Go to solution Solved by rocketeer,

The above 3 toggles look like they are 3 way position toggles. UP (ON), CENTER (RESET) and DOWN (OFF).

using the left mouse click will toggle between UP and DOWN, not stopping at the CENTER. When toggle is in UP position, right mouse click will momentarily flip it to CENTER in a split second. Left mouse click will just keep flipping it UP and DOWN. It just won't stop at the center.

The panel labeling RESET in the middle suggests it is a 3 way toggle. DCS BIOS also shows it as 3 way toggle. In the game it is behaving like a 2 way toggle. Is this a bug or it is meant to be a 2 way toggle?

User manual says it is spring loaded to ON. What does that mean? it is supposed to always skip the center position? then how and when do we use the center position? 

2 hours ago, rocketeer said:

User manual says it is spring loaded to ON. What does that mean?

The switches are spring loaded from RESET to ON.

it is supposed to always skip the center position?

Yes.

how and when do we use the center position?

Right mouse click - toggles between OFF and ON
Left mouse click - momentarily moves the switch from ON to RESET position before allowing it to spring back to ON

The individual CAS switch positions can also be assigned to keyboard/joystick.

RESET re-engages a (disconnected) axis after a fault has cleared, while OFF disengages the problem axis.

Tested DCS Open Beta 2.9.2.49940

Edited by Ramsay
Spelling

i9 9900K @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

thanks for the info, Ramsay. Usual momentary toggles will spring from one end to the center. This is the opposite where it springs away from the center. Since there won't be such physical toggles switches easily found in the market, I suppose to mimic this in a physical cockpit I'd have to use a 2 way ON-ON toggle as ON-OFF and just forget about the center RESET. To use the RESET it looks like it has to be done with the mouse, not a physical toggle.

DcsBios::Switch3Pos fCasYaw("F_CAS_YAW", 6, 7);

//Front Roll CAS Switch
DcsBios::Switch3Pos fCasRoll("F_CAS_ROLL", 8, 9);

//Front Pitch CAS Switch
DcsBios::Switch3Pos fCasPitch("F_CAS_PITCH", 10, 11);

I find that I wire pins 6, 8 and 10, instead of 7, 9, 11, they work as 2 way switch UP DOWN as ON OFF.

Then to get to center RESET, use the mouse via left click as the only option.

1 hour ago, rocketeer said:

thanks for the info, Ramsay. Usual momentary toggles will spring from one end to the center. This is the opposite where it springs away from the center. Since there won't be such physical toggles switches easily found in the market, I suppose to mimic this in a physical cockpit I'd have to use a 2 way ON-ON toggle as ON-OFF and just forget about the center RESET. To use the RESET it looks like it has to be done with the mouse, not a physical toggle.

If you're okay with compromises, why not just an A-B-(C) switch, where C is momentary, and just use the B as ON and C as RESET?

Edited by jaylw314

• Solution

that is a reasonably good suggestion. But I'd have to relabel my panel to show the ON being in the middle and RESET at the top. Not only that, during testing, say pin 6 to OFF, 7 to momentary, when i flip toggle to the mom side, in DCS it goes to OFF like when it's on the latched off side. in DCS it just doesn't go to the center RESET position even though physically I'm willing to let that be at the other end. so we are back to ON OFF in DCS only. physically flipping a 3 way toggle (where actual off is in the center) to either latched off side or mom side in DCS it goes to off, which is wrong. So it looks like a 2 way toggle is a better solution. I won't know when to use the reset anyway lol to have to use left mouse click. 

Appreciate the suggestion anyway.