Installation stable vs open beta, folders structure in saved games.

Hello,

I know we are going to 1 version soon, but I am afraid I will have issues. My DCS world directory is on D:, I have no DCS.openbeta directory.

In my user\saved games I do have 2 folders for DCS, DCS and DCS.openbeta. My DCS folder has 16 subfolders (with liveries and such). My open beta directory has only 3. Should I just copy the 13 (not the ones I already have) from the regular DCS to the dcs.openbeta folder?

Edited by Double Dutch

-----

Don't practise till you got it right.

Practise till you don't do it wrong

5 hours ago, Double Dutch said:

Hello,

I know we are going to 1 version soon, but I am afraid I will have issues. My DCS world directory is on D:, I have no DCS.openbeta directory.

In my user\saved games I do have 2 folders for DCS, DCS and DCS.openbeta. My DCS folder has 16 subfolders (with liveries and such). My open beta directory has only 3. Should I just copy the 13 (not the ones I already have) from the regular DCS to the dcs.openbeta folder?

when you are about to do the update, rename each saved games folder to .BAK. run the update and let it do what the updater wants to do. you really do not have much choice i suppose. you can always repair the DCS installation. when it is done, run DCS. a new Saved Games folder will be created. then copy all the old Saved Games folders you want over to new folder.

before you start take note of the Saved Games folder that has the newest date on it.

also open and examine the file dcs_variant.txt found in the install folder (where mine is) \Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta. do a properties on your shortcut you use to start DCS. this will tell you exactly.

Edited by silverdevil

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

• ED Team

you can call your dcs saved games location whatever you like.

In the old stable version it would be called DCS

Open beta on the other hand has a file called dcs_variant.txt in the root folder and the first line of that file is what your saved games location would be called. 

Example

line1 of the dcs_variant.txt

openbeta

Save Games folder is now called dcs.openbeta

you can use this to name the folder whatever you wish to or remove it and dcs will default back to using dcs saved games folder.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

19 hours ago, silverdevil said:

when you are about to do the update, rename each saved games folder to .BAK. run the update and let it do what the updater wants to do. you really do not have much choice i suppose. you can always repair the DCS installation. when it is done, run DCS. a new Saved Games folder will be created. then copy all the old Saved Games folders you want over to new folder.

before you start take note of the Saved Games folder that has the newest date on it.

also open and examine the file dcs_variant.txt found in the install folder (where mine is) \Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta. do a properties on your shortcut you use to start DCS. this will tell you exactly.

Unfortunately, I don't have an openbeta  folder. I searched for the file on the entire disk and didn't find dcs_variant.txt

-----

19 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

you can call your dcs saved games location whatever you like.

In the old stable version it would be called DCS

Open beta on the other hand has a file called dcs_variant.txt in the root folder and the first line of that file is what your saved games location would be called. 

Example

line1 of the dcs_variant.txt

openbeta

Save Games folder is now called dcs.openbeta

you can use this to name the folder whatever you wish to or remove it and dcs will default back to using dcs saved games folder.

I do not see that file, even a search on my entire PC doesn't give a result. If I do a repair it says my openbeta version is repaired.

We talked before and it seems my version(s) works but is weird in the sense I have 2 directories in saved games but for the rest is conventional. Often when I get suggestion like this, I don't have a specific folder. I would really like to have a normal regular version, so support is easier.

I'd like to do a clean install of DCS but don't want to go through all the settings of the software and Hotas. Is that possible?

image.png

Edited by Double Dutch

-----

• ED Team
8 minutes ago, Double Dutch said:

Unfortunately, I don't have an openbeta  folder. I searched for the file on the entire disk and didn't find dcs_variant.txt

if you only have stable version installed delete the dcs.openbeta in saved games and do not worry. 

DCS will always use the correct folder, and if it doesn't see one will create one anyway. 

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

You probably installed OpenBeta at one point or another, and have forgotten all about it after you uninstalled it. Else you wouldn't have the DCS.openbeta subfolder in Saved Games. Unless you manually created it, which I highly doubt.
Cheers!

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk