New IFF simulation

felixx75
Go to solution Solved by fausete,

I don't play multiplayer so I don't know anything about IFF.

But what would an F-15E or M2000C see when interrogating a module like the F1 with IFF vs interrogating a module on the same side but without IFF modelled ... like an FC3 plane?

4 hours ago, fausete said:

Hi,

The old panel only has modes 1, 2 and 3 available. Mode 4 won't work despite the panel having the correspondent dials.

Is this just for the purposes of M-2000 to F1 interrogation or was mode 4 actually lacking in the real aircraft?
I'm assuming it's just a DCS thing but I have read before that the F1M got upgraded Mode 4 IFF. I assumed that was just an updated transponder but now I'm curious if it was the first time it got Mode 4

1 hour ago, kontiuka said:

I don't play multiplayer so I don't know anything about IFF.

But what would an F-15E or M2000C see when interrogating a module like the F1 with IFF vs interrogating a module on the same side but without IFF modelled ... like an FC3 plane?

When interrogating modules like Mirage F1,they can for example,only using IFF responds from mode 1,2 or 3,to find a specific aircraft ahead of them if the mode 1,2,3 code is known,or even an enemy one who left the code on their transponder to the default number and forget to turn off mode 1,2,3 on his IFF transponder before entering the combat zone since mode 1,2,3 is not encrypted.

For the IFF mode 4 equipped aircraft,you have to set the correct encrypted A/B code and turn the mode4 to on,or people flying M2000/F15E can't using their iff mode 4 to tell if you are a friendly.( the one who is being interrogated will get a waning light/tone from the IFF transponder when this happens)(if your aircraft don't have iff mode 4, they can still use mode 1,2,3 to find you if you tell them your iff code)

For F-15E/M2000C interrogating modules like FC3 planes,or even F-16/F-18 interrogating others,it works like a magic IFF mode 4,this IFF mode 4 is always on and it's A/B code is always correct,you will always get a possible return as long as the plane being interrogated is on your side,no matter what code is set in the virtual cockpit panel.The only thing you need to worry is to turn on the transponder and the interrogator during the cold start. And of course the mode 1,2,3 is unavailable.

Edited by Akiazusa
  • Thanks 1

Kyoto Animation forever!

hace 10 horas, gnomechild dijo:

Is this just for the purposes of M-2000 to F1 interrogation or was mode 4 actually lacking in the real aircraft?
I'm assuming it's just a DCS thing but I have read before that the F1M got upgraded Mode 4 IFF. I assumed that was just an updated transponder but now I'm curious if it was the first time it got Mode 4

It was like this in the real aircraft (otherwise we would have simulated it in the old panel). Only a few aircraft got equipped with the new IFF panel and crypto unit before the modernisation to the F1M (all of which were equipped with Mode 4). We didn't want to force such a radical change of look in the aircraft cockpit considering that only very few of them actually had the Mode 4 capable IFF and towards the very end of their service life.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, fausete said:

It was like this in the real aircraft (otherwise we would have simulated it in the old panel). Only a few aircraft got equipped with the new IFF panel and crypto unit before the modernisation to the F1M (all of which were equipped with Mode 4). We didn't want to force such a radical change of look in the aircraft cockpit considering that only very few of them actually had the Mode 4 capable IFF and towards the very end of their service life.

That's so cool! What a neat detail. And yeah I personally really love the option and how it was implemented for maximum flexibility for players and mission makers 

• Thanks 3

• 1 month later...
On 2/24/2024 at 10:10 AM, fausete said:

I'm not very familiar with the F1, so I have to ask: What does that mean exactly?
As far as I understand you need a special panel in the F1 to enable Mode 4, but is that panel implemented in the DCS F1 as of now?

• Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, QuiGon said:

I'm not very familiar with the F1, so I have to ask: What does that mean exactly?
As far as I understand you need a special panel in the F1 to enable Mode 4, but is that panel implemented in the DCS F1 as of now?

Yes it was implemented with the last patch, but you have to enable it in the special options menue. It then replaces the "old" one.

Edited by felixx75
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, felixx75 said:

Yes it was implemented with the last patch, but you have to enable it in the special options menue. It then replaces the "old" one.

Oh, ok, so in order to be able to activate IFF Mode 4 in the F1 you need a special panel, which isn't available in the F1 cockpit by default, but becomes available if you activate it in the special options?

• Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

hace 22 minutos, QuiGon dijo:

Oh, ok, so in order to be able to activate IFF Mode 4 in the F1 you need a special panel, which isn't available in the F1 cockpit by default, but becomes available if you activate it in the special options?

Yep, correct

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Got it, thanks! 👍

• Like 2

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 2 weeks later...