2.9 VOIP Microphone Test Not Working

Rich8

Hello,

Ever since the 2.9 Stable/Beta merger, I can't get my microphone to produce any audio during the test. Same microphone I've always used in Discord and in other games' VOIP i.e. Helldivers 2

nullnull

image.pngnull

image.png

image.png

Edited by Rich8
  • Like 1

Me, too. It also looks like we have the same sound card. The mic test has not worked for me using my SoundBlaster card since VOIP was introduced in 2.9.https://forum.dcs.world/topic/335815-no-audio-dcs-crashing-at-audio-test/?do=findComment&comment=5385542 

• Like 1

i7-8700k OC to 5.1GHz, Sound BlasterX AE-5, Creative Sound BlasterX H7 Tournament Edition, Asus ROG Maximus X Code

Corsair Dominator DDR4 32GB 3200MHz, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid, Acer Predator XB271HU WQHD IPS Monitor, Logitech G510S, Anker 8000DPI Gaming Mouse, HOTAS Warthog, Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals, Track IR 5, Windows 10 Professional, https://www.youtube.com/c/iflyflightsims

My VOIP test may not work, however I can still transmit over VOIP in the F-86F. He can hear me but I can’t hear my friend.

-It’s unclear if the issue is on my end, my friend’s end or is a DCS bug.

-My friend has a responsive VOIP test hear himself in it. 

-We can see when he’s transmitting but I can’t hear anything.

-The audio settings in the menu, radio overlay and the Sabre’s cockpit radio are all set to max volume

@Flappie Any word on a fix for this? 

i7-8700k OC to 5.1GHz, Sound BlasterX AE-5, Creative Sound BlasterX H7 Tournament Edition, Asus ROG Maximus X Code

Corsair Dominator DDR4 32GB 3200MHz, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid, Acer Predator XB271HU WQHD IPS Monitor, Logitech G510S, Anker 8000DPI Gaming Mouse, HOTAS Warthog, Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals, Track IR 5, Windows 10 Professional, https://www.youtube.com/c/iflyflightsims

Found a workaround which is allowing the audio test to work. Inspired by this: 

1)  Enabled Nvidia Broadcast for both speakers and microphone.

2) Set main audio out to the sound card (Sound BlasterX AE-5) which plays through my headset.

3) Set headphones to Nvidia Broadcast speakers. (The output also happens to be my headset plugged into my Sound Blaster card.)

4) Set microphone to Nvidia Broadcast. (The input source is my headset microphone plugged into my Sound Blaster card.)

Based on the solution to this problem, it seems DCS voice chat has two issues:

1) It does not support voice chat audio being played/mixed through the same speakers as the main game audio.

2) The game has issues detecting microphone audio from an external sound card. However, it's able to detect microphone audio passed through software like Nvidia broadcast.

I'll have to see how well it works in practice on servers, but I can at least hear myself in the menu now.

Update 3/16: Voice Chat works now as expected after applying the workaround.

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by SignorMagnifico
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Update: Tried changing around the settings again to see what is causing the issue. 

The microphone test is now working with the following settings without needing to use Nvidia Broadcast as the microphone audio source. I can use the microphone input directly from my sound card.

To fix this, I had to lower the microphone sample rate to 48000Hz. I also cannot set headphones to be the same audio output as the main audio out on my sound card. DCS main audio out through my sound card works fine. The root cause of DCS not detecting my microphone appears to be that DCS cannot handle audio input exceeding 48000Hz. My sound card supports up to 32Bit 96Khz on the microphone input and audio output.

image.png

Edited by SignorMagnifico
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Flappie said:

@SignorMagnifico Is your voice OK ingame when using a frequency different from 48 kHz? (aside from the Mic test)

No, I can’t be heard at all. Fails at the test and in-game comms.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

So if i setup my mic to below 48 kHz somewhere in options, sound test will be ok? I checked my input setting win win10 and i have only 16000HZ option?

Edited by hreich

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pilot from Croatia

You should have the standard 44 kHz in your list (widely used).

If you haven't, try 16 kHz.

Edited by Flappie

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

DxDiag.txt

The error about "The file vbaudio_cable64_win7.sys is not digitally signed, which means that it has not been tested by Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL). ..." is from virtual audio cable...But before i installed it, i also had problem with audi tests in dcs

Edited by hreich

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pilot from Croatia

I also tried voice recording in windowss and the recorded voice plays fine...Also i use VoiceAttack and voice recognition works also fine...Is there a way to test dcs on any server and listen to playback of my voice ?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pilot from Croatia

Still when i use dcs microhpone test - audio is garbled...Today i installed nvidia broadcast app, and selected nvidia boradcast as microphone input, now i can finally hear normal sound while using dcs microphone test...The headset i am using is Hyperx Cloud wireless 

Edited by hreich

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pilot from Croatia