Can we ever expect a fix for the lag that 2.9 brought to some of us?

Agree, the glitches don't seem to have anything to do with bottlenecks or the system being overloaded, my set up was and is still glitching when none of the system is even out of first gear, doesn't seen to really matter how high or low the settings are it still has issues 

Turn off anisotropic filtering (yes, that's right, turn it off!) and stop using the in-game fps counter to monitor performance. I've reported both of these issues in the past yet no-one has bothered to listen. turning off AF to remove the stutters not only works, but has helped many people in the squadron i fly with. everyone dcs tweaking guide says to crank it up, but it's terrible advice for VR. flatscreen maybe, VR it's a no no.

I will test this tomorrow and report back!

Can we turn it off in dcs but on in the Nvidia control panel to compensate or not at all?

Edited by LHP

• BIGNEWY changed the title to Can we ever expect a fix for the lag that 2.9 brought to some of us?

@LHP please do. I've just realised that I haven't tested my claim in the latest release (i tested on the 1 prior). I will test again myself tonight. regarding ncp, everything is set to default including prefer max power. ncp literally does nothing for dcs (i've tested every single option because i have a stupid amount of free time on my hands!)

Edited by zzzHACKSAWzzz

• ED Team
On 3/3/2024 at 7:39 PM, diego999 said:

It made no difference.

123123123123123.png

Same test, OpenBeta 2.9.2:

Screen_240303_172918.png

I also tried the fix from this thread to no effect.

As I said in a previous post, it doesn't seem to be related to a bottleneck. These screenshots were taken in 2D, and GPU usage was around 30-35%. CPU around 30%. 

Edit: attached diagnostics from this last session.

dcs.log 95.54 kB · 2 downloads DxDiag.txt 100.45 kB · 2 downloads

What happens if you disable vsync? 

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

5 hours ago, zzzHACKSAWzzz said:

@LHP please do. I've just realised that I haven't tested my claim in the latest release (i tested on the 1 prior). I will test again myself tonight. regarding ncp, everything is set to default including prefer max power. ncp literally does nothing for dcs (i've tested every single option because i have a stupid amount of free time on my hands!)

Anti-aliasing Transparency will smooth the edges of transparent textures like trees and fences. Try it!

Ok here you go..

First up, I have not messed with AF in this video or at all just wanted to test the core 0 trick on its own, I will try the AF off setting later and post it in an edit here,

In this video I'm testing the core 0 trick

Vsync Is off in DCS and NCP

All settings are displayed before the respective tests

I also included my PC Specs as well,

I am using the DCS frame limiter in this video, set to 65, as i was trying to see If running it there would cause the drops not to be seen (that idea didnt work by the way)

So here's the video, I have included time stamps and as much relevant info as possible

@BIGNEWY I would like to be as much help as possible, please PM me with requests for any information you need, I am happy to send you anything, including all of the 3dmark benchmarks I did (cpu, gpu, storage, pcie speed etc etc)

UPDATE: 

DCS in extended screen setup

AF 0 - no change

Vsync on - drops were worse more regular and C0 toggle did nothing

Vsync off FPS Limit set to 60fps - C0 toggle worked as in the video above

Edited by LHP

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, LHP said:

Ok here you go..

First up, I have not messed with AF in this video or at all just wanted to test the core 0 trick on its own, I will try the AF off setting later and post it in an edit here,

In this video I'm testing the core 0 trick

Vsync Is off in DCS and NCP

All settings are displayed before the respective tests

I also included my PC Specs as well,

I am using the DCS frame limiter in this video, set to 65, as i was trying to see If running it there would cause the drops not to be seen (that idea didnt work by the way)

So here's the video, I have included time stamps and as much relevant info as possible

@BIGNEWY I would like to be as much help as possible, please PM me with requests for any information you need, I am happy to send you anything, including all of the 3dmark benchmarks I did (cpu, gpu, storage, pcie speed etc etc)

I tried this and it makes no difference to me. One thing I have noticed is that my own missions play so much better and smoother than official missions, though sometimes even my missions can play like crap with no reason. For example, start my mission, it plays ok, play the exact mission again without restarting game or changing any settings or the mission, it runs like crap, play again without restarting game, plays ok again. I say ok of course because since 2.9 there are lag spike and freezes no matter what, whereas before even at low fps it would be butter smooth and only fluctuate 2-3 fps. I challenge anyone to post a solution I have not tried yet, I along with many others have tried everything and have been for 6 plus months now. There are plenty of users on Hoggit with super computers with the exact same problem as me.

Edited by truebrit

Planes: A-10C/II - FC3 - F/A-18C - F-16c - F-5 - F-15E - F-4E

Helicopters: UH-1H Huey - KA-50 Black Shark - AH-64D

Maps: Sinai - Normandy 2.0 - Channel - Syria - Persian Gulf - South Atlantic

Extras: Supercarrier - WWII Asset Pack

PC SPECS: CPU, Intel i5 4670K @ 4.2GHz | MOBO, ASUS/Z87-A | MEMORY, HyperX FURY Series 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 Memory1833Mhz |GRAPHICS CARD, GIGABYTE RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6, 1920 Core, 1755Mhz | PSU, CoolerMaster Real Power Pro 1250W 80Plus | Flight Stick, Logitech X-56 | Rudder Pedals, Logitech G | O/S, Windows 10, 64bit | Hard Drives, Samsung SSD 860 QVO 1TB

Adding DCS MT .exe, saved games folder, track IR, Helios and anything else dcs related, as exceptions in windows defender got rid of every micro stutter and lag mine had. So smooth now, even with vsync and capped at 60 fps <—personal preference to give everything some headroom when lots of objects come into play. Consistent 60 is better imo than bouncing around between 90 and 120 🤷‍♂️ Also addin the MT.lua to saved games folder that Big Newey posted several months ago ( not sure if its still valid, but I still have it in my SG folder

Edited by MadKreator

Intel i7 13700k, ASUS  rog strix z790A, 64gigs G.Skill Trident DDR5 @6400Mhz, Nvidia  RTX 4080FE, 2x 2TB Samsung M.2 NVME, 2x 1TB Samsung SSD,  Corsair RM1000x, Corsair h100i 240mm cooler, Lian Li LanCool 3, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate, VKB STECS , MFG Crosswinds, Track IR5, 48” LG UltraGear OLED & HP 24” touchscreen for Helios, Streamdeck XL, DCS-UFC App, Corsair Virtuoso RGB Headphones

1 hour ago, MadKreator said:

Adding DCS MT .exe, saved games folder, track IR, Helios and anything else dcs related, as exceptions in windows defender got rid of every micro stutter and lag mine had. So smooth now, even with vsync and capped at 60 fps <—personal preference to give everything some headroom when lots of objects come into play. Consistent 60 is better imo than bouncing around between 90 and 120 🤷‍♂️ Also addin the MT.lua to saved games folder that Big Newey posted several months ago ( not sure if its still valid, but I still have it in my SG folder

Fully agree about the 60 fps vsync thing, and ive allready done all the allowing things through AV, but what's the MT.lua? Ii never herd of it, got a link?

7 hours ago, LHP said:

Just watched this, I'll give it a go tomorrow, beats manually messing with the cores each time

I installed Process Lasso after 2.9 first came out in an attempt to find a fix, it didn't work. One of the "fixes" to try on this thread was to uninstall it, that didn't work either.

PC SPECS: CPU, Intel i5 4670K @ 4.2GHz | MOBO, ASUS/Z87-A | MEMORY, HyperX FURY Series 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 Memory1833Mhz |GRAPHICS CARD, GIGABYTE RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6, 1920 Core, 1755Mhz | PSU, CoolerMaster Real Power Pro 1250W 80Plus | Flight Stick, Logitech X-56 | Rudder Pedals, Logitech G | O/S, Windows 10, 64bit | Hard Drives, Samsung SSD 860 QVO 1TB

14 hours ago, MadKreator said:

I've added everything I can think of to Kaspersky exceptions as I have Defender disabled, Opentrack/Logitech etc. What's this MT.lua trick?

13 hours ago, LHP said:

Fully agree about the 60 fps vsync thing, and ive allready done all the allowing things through AV, but what's the MT.lua? Ii never herd of it, got a link?

@LHP @truebrit  I tried to find the thread BN posted it in last year but couldn’t. I’ll see if it will let me put the file here. It just goes in saved games/config folder. I think it was just a test run when they were working out MT bugs. It may be incorporated into the game already, but I still have it. What I noticed with it, is it spread the load more evenly across cores. Previous to adding that lua, there were only a small handful of cores doing most of the work. After that file the load seemed to distribute more evenly across maybe 12 of my 24 cores, instead of 4 of them doing 90% of the work.  

Edited by MadKreator
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Intel i7 13700k, ASUS  rog strix z790A, 64gigs G.Skill Trident DDR5 @6400Mhz, Nvidia  RTX 4080FE, 2x 2TB Samsung M.2 NVME, 2x 1TB Samsung SSD,  Corsair RM1000x, Corsair h100i 240mm cooler, Lian Li LanCool 3, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate, VKB STECS , MFG Crosswinds, Track IR5, 48” LG UltraGear OLED & HP 24” touchscreen for Helios, Streamdeck XL, DCS-UFC App, Corsair Virtuoso RGB Headphones

Here's the file, just goes in SavedGames/.../Config. Pic attached of placement and file contents.. Again it may be obsolete at this stage.

Screenshot 2024-03-09 085702.png

mt.lua

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

An interesting update today, the project lasso thing worked flawlessly for me, (hybrid cpu, 13900k) it as astonishingly good infact

However, vsync is still an issue but in a weird way, so with vsync on and display up I noticed that in cpu bound it was flawlessly smooth, however as soon as it went to gpu bound the glitches came back 

Not sure what to make of that 

2 hours ago, _Hoss said:

Don't forget about Spuds video on making all your game and related folders exempt in your preferred AV. 

https://youtu.be/JshLOxeX3dM?si=7l4NAvwcCjvgTn0x

Tried that, did nothing I'm afraid.

OK I'm going to go buy a lotto ticket, I was messing around with some settings post last message and I decided to see what would happen if I forced the GPU (through the evga controller overclock software thing) to limit the gpu to 60, I then went into dcs and turned vsync back on, it's dead stable at 60fps with vsync on,

Finally after all this time smooth frames with vsync

EDIT: i just want to point out that this video was recorded in November 2023, the only thing that has changed since then is DCS. I'm not sure what went wrong but something really has, all the sleepscapes on my chanel were recorded pre these issues happening, the frames have been too bad for me to record any new ones, so there is definitely something wrong somewhere, because everything else is unchanged, the one below was made just after 2.9 dropped, that's why the mfds are flashing

Edited by LHP
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

So, once again I spend hours of frustration trying to fix the stuttering, get to a point where I think it's nearly there and then, just watch the video. As always once it starts with the stuttering it doesn't stop. Many times I have been at this point in the last six months. It's like the game learns to break itself.

Edited by truebrit
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, truebrit said:

So, once again I spend hours of frustration trying to fix the stuttering, get to a point where I think it's nearly there and then, just watch the video. As always once it starts with the stuttering it doesn't stop. Many times I have been at this point in the last six months. It's like the game learns to break itself.

Holy crap that's bad! I don't have anything to help at this stage, but what's interesting to me is the 6months bit, I posted a video yesterday that was recorded September/November last year, where I didn't have to do any of the stuff I've had to do in the last month to try get it to run smoothly. I just ran dcs and it was perfect, not now tho. Now you need a doctorate in applied computer sciences or a big bag of luck to make it run smooth haha. I do have faith in the devs tho, they have pulled it out of the bag more times than I care to count, let's just hope they find the underlying issue soon, I'm ready to help out as much as I can, just so damn frustrating tho, sorry I can't be of more assistance 

• Like 1

Version: DCS 2.9.3.51704

After going back to Version 2.8 (latest version) DCS just announced massive improvements in syria map. So I changed from the partially stable version 2.8 to DCS 2.9.3.51704.

Tried it in 2 missions and must say, starting from Incirlic is a desaster.

1. First start brought permanent freeze, so had to shoot the sim via task manager.
  2. Next turn - restarting the sim, the game works, but all 15 seconds I had freezes of 5 seconds - while taking off and than further and further on over minutes.
  3. After ending the sim next attempt, but no improvements.

This version is abolutelly useless!!! Sorry - but I must say it´s really a insolence to offer such a sim-version even as Beta-version.

• Like 2

Kind regards

Hans Dieter

System: Win 11 Prof, 64 Bit, AMD 4350 Quad-Core, Gigabyte-Board 970A-UD3P, 16 GB-RAM; ASUS GTX 1080 8 GB - Nvidia Geforce