Today's dumb move...updated firmware

Updated the firmware on my stick; that caused it to be renamed.  Now I get to re-configure the stick for every aircraft in DCS, and every sim (I have more than one that cannot be named).

If it ain't broke, just say no.

yes you can just change the ID so you dont have to remap in DCS... but i would also recommend Holdi601/JoystickProfiler: Joystick Profiler Utility (github.com) which enables you to do joystick remaps with ease... to avoid this problem and also enable migrations and standardisation in the future

• Like 3

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Isn't there a way to just change the device ID in your existing user config file?
Isn't there a way to change Virpil's device ID? Then he wouldn't have to do anything.

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

Quickest way is to save a new (can be a single button) binding with the device. Then go to your Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input folders and for the airframe you saved a binding go into the joystick folder and copy the filename of the new lua. Then use that to rename all the old device lua files in each airframe folder (it will compain about there already being that filename in the first folder you are copying it from, just delete the new file after you copied the name). That converts all the bindings from the old joystick ID to the new joystick ID

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Trigati said:

Quickest way is to save a new (can be a single button) binding with the device. Then go to your Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input folders and for the airframe you saved a binding go into the joystick folder and copy the filename of the new lua. Then use that to rename all the old device lua files in each airframe folder (it will compain about there already being that filename in the first folder you are copying it from, just delete the new file after you copied the name). That converts all the bindings from the old joystick ID to the new joystick ID

Not sure why I didn't think of that immediately; I have a file with the IDs of all my panels so I can do the same trick.  Virpil changed it from "Right VPC WarBRD Stick" to "RIGHT VPC Stick WarBRD" because...well, just because.   They were probably cackling the whole time they wrote that function because they knew that would screw things up.

Other applications...no such luck; at least not that I'm aware of.  One of them doesn't use the DirectX name and instead pulls the assigned name from each panel, so it doesn't have that problem.  I'm kinda hoping DCS does the same thing with Vulkan; ED should consider a revamp control bindings in general...but that's not on their list.  In many ways ED seems appropriate.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Raisuli said:

Virpil changed it from "Right VPC WarBRD Stick" to "RIGHT VPC Stick WarBRD" because...well, just because.   They were probably cackling the whole time they wrote that function because they knew that would screw things up.

That made me chuckle. Thanks for the warning though

• Like 1

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1