Performance problems

pelinelu

I need some help regarding the PC components for running the game since I have almost 0 knowledge about PCs. I'm not so happy with 40-50 fps right now.

My specs: 
Processor    AMD Ryzen 7 2700 Eight-Core Processor 3.20 GHz
Installed RAM    32.0 GB

Also a RX VEGA and the AMD software doesn't even recognize the game.

What should I buy?

55 minutes ago, pelinelu said:

RX VEGA

Which one exactly?

What screen resolution you play with?

Try the Low preset in the DCS options > system - how does it run? Try FSR or TAA as scaling method.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

At first I’d turn the preload radius down to about 30000, msaa down to x2 (x4 is nice but it’s a resource hog!) or try fsr , or taa as mentioned above . Drop chimney smoke density down to 1. Forest visibility can have a big effect too.  If you can get a nice even 60, dcs should feel really good.

Edited by MadKreator
  • Like 1

Intel i7 13700k, ASUS  rog strix z790A, 64gigs G.Skill Trident DDR5 @6400Mhz, Nvidia  RTX 4080FE, 2x 2TB Samsung M.2 NVME, 2x 1TB Samsung SSD,  Corsair RM1000x, Corsair h100i 240mm cooler, Lian Li LanCool 3, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate, VKB STECS , MFG Crosswinds, Track IR5, 48” LG UltraGear OLED & HP 24” touchscreen for Helios, Streamdeck XL, DCS-UFC App, Corsair Virtuoso RGB Headphones

Wow, those settings are quite ambitious for your setup.  Since you asked what you should buy, I'll provide some input below.

I haven't played dcs without VR in a LONG time, so I'll try to take that into account.

I'd recommend for 2d, a minimum of a 2080ti, ryzen 5800x3d (this is likely a bit much for the GPU, but more on that in a sec), 32gb of decent ram.  You'll likely get good fps with medium to medium-high settings. You can absolutely get away with less, but I'm a sucker for the beautiful aesthetics and want to pump as much I to my eyes as possible.  You might not care as much about some things.

If you have extra scratch, move up to a 3080ti.  If you play multiplayer or very high asset volume missions, then go for 64gb ram.  Not necessary, but I do know it made a tangible difference for me.

It's pretty tough to know what is best for YOU, so I recommend using the search function here with a few different search phrases to see non-anecdotal numbers and settings from other people's rigs. And search for dcs graphical comparisons on YouTube to see what settings are a personal must, and what's just nice to have - again, FOR YOU.

DCS is one of those "games" where it's as much about the flying/combat as it is to extract every drop of performance from our rigs.  That means there should be no shortage of information to help you in your never ending endeavor.  Good luck!

Edited by skins45

22 hours ago, pelinelu said:

What should I buy?

There's no limit on what you can buy unless you give us your budget size. I'd first try different AA method and see how it fares. Why not full screen option?

For current DCS @1440 you'd want better card, around this level:

image.png

source: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-rtx-3060-ti.c3681

Best results you'll get when you pair it with new CPU, around Ryzen 5 5600 level or some i5.

image.png

source: https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-5-5600-vs-Intel-Core-i3-13100F/m1822932vs4143

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

12 hours ago, pelinelu said:

Thanks a lot, I'll go with rtx 3060 since it's good price and fits in my pc (I have a small case for my pc). You solved my problems

You'll bottleneck your CPU if you don't upgrade that too.

Thanks a lot, I'll go with rtx 3060 since it's good price and fits in my pc (I have a small case for my pc). You solved my problems

Don't buy the 12GB version, that's wasting your money.

I had a 3060ti for a long time and was getting 20-30fps in VR, I upgraded to a 4070ti and am very happy. Since the card does not fit in my case I use a riser cable.

don't forget about power supply wattage, the 3060ti and the 4070ti require a lot less wattage than a 3070,3080 etc

On those settings id get a solid 75fps on my system  R55600x and RX6700XT...   monitor is 1440p 75Mhz refresh so the 75fps is capped....

on single player dynamic games (DCC) with lots of ground/air assets and bad weather  ie low clouds rain etc it can drop to 50fps so even I would run MSAA x2 in those conditions

You might want to drop terrain object shadows to flat and play about with 'flat shadow blur'

edit: My Clouds are set High and my grass is set to 600 btw

Edited by Droning_On
Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x [OC_4700Mhz  1.27v All Core],   AMD Rx6700XT 12GB,    32Gb DDR4_3200 CL16,    M.2_NVMe(OS) + 1TB M.2 SSD for DCS install ,    Delan opentrack IR,    QHD 1440p@75Mhz 32" HDR Monitor.

Hotas heavy modded  T.Flight Hotas One - 3D printed Mods. 3D Printed Pedals 3D prinded Delan Clip, Future mods…Upgrade T.flight to Hall sensors…more switches….F-16 ICP,  Spitfire/Mossie switch labels and future Athentikit Spit Mk iX controls.