Usage of F10 map in missions for realism

I was wondering what the community thinks about using the F10 maps for missions.
Clearly in the real world, a pilot will spend x3 of total mission time in the briefing room planning, learning the mission, the maps, routes, enemies, etc

In DCS there is no briefing room to my knowledge, and we only have the F10 map that can be used while in the plane.

But it makes me fill like I fake it when I look at the map, since it shows my location and sometimes the enemy location and more data then what would have been available in the briefing room pre-flight.

Any thoughts? 
What is the best way to make everything fill real

41 minutes ago, Rankorn said:

I was wondering what the community thinks about using the F10 maps for missions.
Clearly in the real world, a pilot will spend x3 of total mission time in the briefing room planning, learning the mission, the maps, routes, enemies, etc

In DCS there is no briefing room to my knowledge, and we only have the F10 map that can be used while in the plane.

But it makes me fill like I fake it when I look at the map, since it shows my location and sometimes the enemy location and more data then what would have been available in the briefing room pre-flight.

Any thoughts? 
What is the best way to make everything fill real

I prefer to have the F10 map set to not showing any units at all, not even your own aircraft. In that configuration I have no issue with using the F10 map, as it basically just serves as a paper map that a pilot can take with him in the cockpit.

• Like 3

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I agree with you there - but it would be on the caveat that I would be able to mark the map myself. I think this is possible these days anyway? Never tried it, but I think I think I read something along those lines, somewhere.

Edited by Johnny Dioxin
spellling

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

29 minutes ago, Johnny Dioxin said:

I agree with you there - but it would be on the caveat that I would be able to mark the map myself. I think this is possible these days anyway? Never tried it, but I think I think I read something along those lines, somewhere.

Yes, you can put marks on the map (orange circles with optional text) during a mission. The problem with these is, that in MP they are synced between all players of your team, thus making it an unrealistic feature, which I personally also often disable for this very reason.

Edited by QuiGon
  • Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

7 minutes ago, Nealius said:

Then don't look at the map. Problem solved.

No problem not solved, because other player will look at it.

If arcadish game is your cup of tea, why not, but some prefer simulation with more realism, anf this F10 map is a joke.

13 minutes ago, sylkhan said:

But some prefer simulation with more realism, anf this F10 map is a joke.

That's why the F10 map can be configured however you want it and in MP this can be set and enforced by the admin.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tornado3 small.jpg

3 hours ago, QuiGon said:

That's why the F10 map can be configured however you want it and in MP this can be set and enforced by the admin.

That's the point, a F10 map for a simulator should not be configurable, but just a map (like a paper map, with annotations)

3 minutes ago, sylkhan said:

That's the point, a F10 map for a simulator should not be configurable, but just a map (like a paper map, with annotations)

And that's exactly how you can configure it for your missions.

• Like 1

Tornado3 small.jpg

4 minutes ago, QuiGon said:

And that's exactly how you can configure it for your missions.

Coming from a true flight simulator it's always funny to see these arcadish items from Flanker

It's more cheating view and doesn't fit the simulator philosophy

Edited by sylkhan

Was nice if the map was available only pre-mission, like sitting in a briefing room and viewing different mission aids.

Modern briefing rooms do have digital maps with the known units, waypoints, flight paths etc, but you should not be able to look at it on the plane itself.

I don't think fighter pilots take paper maps or tablets with them.

1 hour ago, sylkhan said:

Coming from a true flight simulator it's always funny to see these arcadish items from Flanker

It's more cheating view and doesn't fit the simulator philosophy

If you want DCS to get that hardcore I hope you're willingto pay more like $1,000 - $2,000 per module for it because people that want it that hardcore are a small minority in DCS and # of users will dictate pricing.  I say this a someone who turns off enemy unit display on F10 (when I use it), but I have no problem with people using this however they want.  As others have said, if you're a MP server owner you can turn it off.  Why the next guy shouldn't be able to have it turned on in his server if he wants is beyond me.

Edited by rob10
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, Rankorn said:

I don't think fighter pilots take paper maps or tablets with them.

Oh they do. You will find a map case in the cockpit of pretty much all of the aircraft in DCS. They're usually next to the backrest of the ejection seat.

• Like 2

Tornado3 small.jpg

4 hours ago, QuiGon said:

Oh they do. You will find a map case in the cockpit of pretty much all of the aircraft in DCS. They're usually next to the backrest of the ejection seat.

Really? didn't know that

A lot of missions on the page w/ the 'Start' button there is a 'Mission Planner' button center low. This brings up a map w/ a lot of flight plans marked and waypoints indicated. Usually enemy ground emplacements are drawn in red. The map is very zoomable so you can zoom and see individual buildings and you can get lat lon by placing the curser and reading #s in the top left. I think this would be similar to maps available in a pre mission briefing. Also many missions have maps available on the kneeboard which I think would be analogous to either a real kneeboard or the maps in the case.. 

Edited by CBStu