Viggen can't land on Carriers

Hello everyone!

I tried to land my viggen on a carrier but the landing gear cracked while touched the fly deck. I'm sure there is a bug that the landing gear can not hold the viggen when it is on a carrier. Becasue I sat on the fly deck and called the ground crew to repair it. The landing gear cracked immediately after repaired.

Thanks for any help! 

13 minutes ago, razo+r said:

Easy fix, don't land on a carrier...

Sure the Viggen isn't a carrier plane. But neither is the U-2 or C-130 and they've both done carrier operations.

This might not be a huge priority, but it's a valid bug and should be fixed.

• Like 2

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

6 minutes ago, Exorcet said:

Sure the Viggen isn't a carrier plane. But neither is the U-2 or C-130 and they've both done carrier operations.

This might not be a huge priority, but it's a valid bug and should be fixed.

A Viggen never was preppard to landing on a carrier. The test of U-2G (Specialized version) and C-130 was under control situations and never reach operational service by the issues on the carrier decks. Please dont derail them.

7 minutes ago, Silver_Dragon said:

A Viggen never was preppard to landing on a carrier. The test of U-2G (Specialized version) and C-130 was under control situations and never reach operational service

Yes, that's the point. They underwent testing. Why can't we have a fiction Viggen carrier test program? Could at least make an interesting mission out of it. It would lack some of the real details of course, but sometimes you make due with what you have.

• Like 3

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

It's wholly irrelevant whether it was intended to or not.

There is no reason for the landing gear to crack just because it comes in contact with a carrier deck. If it does, it means something in the carrier code or the viggen code is broken and needs to be fixed. Any argument along the lines of “don't” or “it shouldn't be there” is just a lazy excuse for not fixing bugs. Doubly so with a plane with such a ridiculously sturdy landing gear…

• Like 4

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

1 hour ago, Exorcet said:

Yes, that's the point. They underwent testing. Why can't we have a fiction Viggen carrier test program? Could at least make an interesting mission out of it. It would lack some of the real details of course, but sometimes you make due with what you have.

Carrier planes like the U-2G were reinforced with carrier-capable landing gear

https://www.airandspaceforces.com/article/0201spyplane/

Hard Landing

Next, Schumacher made a number of practice approaches, and he then commenced landing. A CIA report said, “Although the takeoff was very successful, the attempted landing was not. The aircraft bounced, hit hard on one wingtip, and then just barely managed to become airborne again before reaching the end of the deck.”

The Navy then performed modifications to three U-2A variants. It gave them stronger landing gear, an arresting hook, and wing “spoilers” capable of canceling aerodynamic lift when the aircraft came over the deck. These aircraft were designated as U-2Gs and painted with N-series civilian serial numbers and Office of Naval Research markings.

the C-130 has reinforced landing gear for landing on unprepared terrain)...  that's not "get my magic carrier compatibility", if the plane was never capable, the fanciful option that "all planes must land on an aircraft carrier" is not admissible.

Edited by Silver_Dragon

Carrier planes like the U-2G were reinforced with carrier-capable landing gear (the C-130 has reinforced landing gear for landing on unprepared terrain)... that's not "get my magic carrier compatibility", if the plane was never capable, the fanciful option that "all planes must land on an aircraft carrier" is not admissible.
What they are saying, is that if you lift a Viggen onto a carrier by let's say, a crane. The gear would not break.

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

• Like 3

…and if you were to slam a Viggen into the deck of a carrier at a 5m/s sink rate, it would also not break.

• Like 3

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

28 minutes ago, Silver_Dragon said:

Carrier planes like the U-2G were reinforced with carrier-capable landing gear (the C-130 has reinforced landing gear for landing on unprepared terrain)... that's not "get my magic carrier compatibility", if the plane was never capable, the fanciful option that "all planes must land on an aircraft carrier" is not admissible.

I'm not sure what you mean. No one is asking for magic. The bug is that the gear breaks by being in contact with the carrier. That's clearly wrong. I've visited carrier museums and the Air Force planes on display don't fall apart out of fear of a slightly rocking deck.

No one is asking for modifications to make the Viggen carrier rated, just to fix an unrealistic issue.

• Like 2

Just now, Silver_Dragon said:

All carrier landings has a "controller crash", take note on the forces involved on landing on a carrier vs landing on a fixed airport.

I'm well aware, the issue is that the Viggen gear seems to break even with 1 g of force on it, which shouldn't happen regardless of where it is:

2 hours ago, PfeilDornier said:

I sat on the fly deck and called the ground crew to repair it. The landing gear cracked immediately after repaired.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Silver_Dragon said:

All carrier landings has a "controller crash", take note on the forces involved on landing on a carrier vs landing on a fixed airport.

That's also true for Viggen landings on land. It's kind of part of how it achieves its STOL characteristics.

Except land is most likely a much harder surface, hit at higher (vertical) speed, than you'd get from a carrier landing. And land isn't not moving to let you land at a lower relative speed. There is no reason why a Viggen's landing gear should break on a carrier landing, much less on a carrier doing-nothing-at-all-and-just-sitting-there.

Edited by Tippis
  • Like 2