DH Mosquito take off speed

JC511
Go to solution Solved by JC511,

Has anyone else had trouble reaching 120 mph takeoff speed. I've followed numerous trim suggestions,watched countless "how to" videos and the highest roll speed I can obtain is 100  mph.  boost < 9 RPM 3000.  I have the straight roll pretty well handled now it's a speed issue.

Thanks for any suggestions/help

JoeC

If you have a brake axis mapped, check that it is not reversed.  Also, you release the brake with a little tap on the brake.  The handle on the stick should move away when the brakes are off.

Edited by Glide
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, JC511 said:

Has anyone else had trouble reaching 120 mph takeoff speed. I've followed numerous trim suggestions,watched countless "how to" videos and the highest roll speed I can obtain is 100  mph.  boost < 9 RPM 3000.  I have the straight roll pretty well handled now it's a speed issue.

Thanks for any suggestions/help

JoeC

9 boost is not enough for T/O.

12 for long runways and light load.

18 for heavy or short runway.

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

9lbs boost is the climb power setting. You want something between that and 12lbs for a normal takeoff. Be prepared to smoothly select 18lbs if the end is approaching faster than you'd like.

Remember that not every runway on every map is long enough for a loaded Mosquito.

• Like 1

DCS WWII player. I run the mission design team behind 4YA WWII, the most popular DCS World War 2 server.

https://www.ProjectOverlord.co.uk - for 4YA WW2 mission stats, mission information, historical research blogs and more.

Thank you for the replies, I actually was mistaken about my boost settings it was in the 12+ range not 9+ (blame that on poor eyesight!).  Still the fastest I get on the ground is 110 mph no tail lift. When I uncheck "Game Flight Mode" I get tail lift almost immediately but no speed indicated and still unable to even get ground effect lift. I've gone through tutorials as well as posted suggestions to no avail. what am I doing wrong??? lol No problems with the Spitfire, P67 or P51.  I'm only trying takeoff in Instant Action takeoff practice. 

Turning broken game flight mode off is mandatory for Mossie, so it's good you've got that sorted.

After next failed takeoff attempt, exit mission and save a replay track (It's one of the buttons on the bottom of post-mission screen). It will be saved in your C:\Users\[your user name]\Saved Games\DCS\Tracks folder. Post it here as an attachment to your message. The only way for us to help is to watch it and see what's going on there.

• Like 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• Solution
29 minutes ago, Art-J said:

Turning broken game flight mode off is mandatory for Mossie, so it's good you've got that sorted.

After next failed takeoff attempt, exit mission and save a replay track (It's one of the buttons on the bottom of post-mission screen). It will be saved in your C:\Users\[your user name]\Saved Games\DCS\Tracks folder. Post it here as an attachment to your message. The only way for us to help is to watch it and see what's going on there.

Thanks will do! 

2 hours ago, Art-J said:

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and help... Turning off Game Mode seems to have done the trick, the plane is a little more difficult to trim but I'm off the ground!!! 

Yeah game mode/assists are counter productive for when you are trying to do things right. For the longest time I always had rough Spitfire takeoffs and it was puzzling. Then one day I was browsing the settings and noticed take off assist was on and at max. Turned it off and took off like a dream every time since.

The Mossie I trim nose down and after lifting the tail I push forward a little to keep the nose down, the thing wants to lift at 100 - 110 but that will give you a left wing dive and into the ground you go, at 120 I will ease off forward stick and it will gently lift off.  Shorter runways, i'm running the engines up to 18 boost at 3000RPM, standing on the brakes and then letting it loose to get up -> you can do a little brake dancing initially but i find the rudder effect comes in quite quickly.

I run up engines to 0 boost and i syncro rpm to get same on both engines before release brakes. This help with initial straight roll, then i quickly apply full power without detent activated. Can't remember how much boost is it.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor