Online activation?

From an other perspective - it's good. You don't have to always swap discs in your computer (ever since I got my current computer, the disc for FarCry 2 has been almost permanently in my disc drive. Not because I love the game more than many others, but because it's the only game I play on this computer that requires a disc check... And I only have the disc version because it came with my graphics card).

You also don't end up boned because your disc got scratched.

So while I'm not a fan of activation stuff, looking through my history of gaming I have had more problems with scratched discs and such than I have had with activation-based systems that do not require discs.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

as long as I can activate it an unlimited # of times (even if that requires requesting more activations) I'm ok with it. The key is that if there's gonna be activation, I should be able to reinstall my machine as many times as I want and still be able to play the game I bought. From what I've read that is the case with BS, you just might have to request more activations if you run out.

StarForce activation servers have been down for a few hours a couple of times during the last months. This is no biggie, the servers were quickly back up again, so in the worst case you will have to wait some time before you can activate Black Shark (you can still access the GUI though and use the time to become familar with the mission editor for example). Apart from that you can also try to activate BS via the ProActive website (although it may also be affected by server downtimes), or eMail.

The same people who "guarantee" you a workaround if you scratch your disc.

Seriously, you are dragging up the wildest of improbabilities as a deterrence against purchasing a piece of software that is published by a pretty solid firm in britain (TFC) and a very long standing developer in russia (ED, founded '91), and a very financially solid software security business. They are not at all likely to go out of business.

And IF they go out of business and no-one picks up the product, then it's abandonware and you'll be able to continue using it that way.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester