F-14 A/B feature follow-up, wish list and beyond

15 hours ago, Naquaii said:

Exactly as what we've said multiple times previously.

@Naquaii, thanks for the comment with us.

Dell XPS 9730, i9-13900H, DDR5 64GB, Discrete GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080, 1+2TB M.2 SSD | TM HOTAS Warthog/TPR | TKIR5/TrackClipPro | Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box | Win 11 Pro

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, scommander2 said:

I will assume the button and key binding is correct in the config screen when pressing down the button.

Yes.  I haven't used ACLS in a while.  I just wanted to test what Nacquaii was saying about the lights illuminating.  I haven't changed the binding and it used to work just fine:

47194615.jpg

Edited by JupiterJoe

"It's not necessary to tell me I'm right.  We'll just assume it."

59 minutes ago, Naquaii said:

The lights were the wrong color at first, that's why they're green in the manual. They are caution lights and should thus be yellow.

Should I note it in the TODO section?

Dell XPS 9730, i9-13900H, DDR5 64GB, Discrete GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080, 1+2TB M.2 SSD | TM HOTAS Warthog/TPR | TKIR5/TrackClipPro | Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box | Win 11 Pro

2 minutes ago, scommander2 said:

Should I note it in the TODO section?

No.  The colour change is already done.  I just wanted to confirm they're illuminating/extinguishing as they should.

3 minutes ago, JupiterJoe said:

I haven't changed the binding and it used to work just fine:

Sorry, I saw the MS force feedback stick for NWS.

2 minutes ago, JupiterJoe said:

I haven't used ACLS in a while.  I just wanted to test what Nacquaii was saying about the lights illuminating.

Keep in mind there are a lot of requirements for ACLS to work. You can't just test it anywhere at any time. I'll try to test it tonight. Same with the warning lights. I'll check the NATOPS and DCS.

• Thanks 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  VPC CDT-VMAX  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, scommander2 said:

Sorry, I saw the MS force feedback stick for NWS.

I was testing both sticks, to eliminate the chance it was my new MS FFB2.  ACLS doesn't work with either for me.

EDIT:  Restart required.  D'oh!

Edited by JupiterJoe

2 minutes ago, draconus said:

Keep in mind there are a lot of requirements for ACLS to work. You can't just test it anywhere at any time. I'll try to test it tonight. Same with the warning lights. I'll check the NATOPS and DCS.

Thanks, @draconus and I was planning to test it tonight.

4 minutes ago, JupiterJoe said:

I was testing both sticks, to eliminate the chance it was my new MS FFB2.  ACLS doesn't work with either for me.

The ACLS was used to work great.  The last attempt was ACLS leaded to me the CV port not CV stern.

1 minute ago, draconus said:

Keep in mind there are a lot of requirements for ACLS to work. You can't just test it anywhere at any time. I'll try to test it tonight. 

Understood.  I made sure I was on needles, gear down, flaps & hook down, DLC engaged, AP and ACLS engaged and datalinked to ship. The AP Ref light was illuminated and Pressing the AP ref/NWS button made everything disengage and all lights extinguish.  Never seen that happen before today.  As I said I haven't used ACLS in a while.

47194615.jpg

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Lt_Jaeger said:

ACLS won't work with FFB, there is a long standing bug. It will engage, but then the FFB stick will go hard forward and the AP will fly you right into the drink.

Okay, well that is exactly what happed.  Thank you. I did try my non FFB stick too and the same thing happened.  Perhaps a reload was required. 

It's getting so the deficits of using FFB outweigh the benefits 🙄.   "The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away." 

EDIT:  Yeah, ACLS works with my non-FFB stick after a restart.  No lights illuminate when disengaging Auto-throttle and/or ACLS/AP though.  

Near the end of this video they illuminate when there's weight on wheels.  Perhaps that's the key factor.   I had a vague memory of seeing them illuminate in the air.  Guess I was wrong.

The lights don't come on at all in this more recent video though.  The AOA indicator lights are also out though, so perhaps he has the brightness dial turned down below 5.  Which I understand is a known issue.

Edited by JupiterJoe

1 minute ago, JupiterJoe said:

"The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away."

Amem and good luck.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Tonight tests:

ACLS works and ACLS/AP warning light works.

Auto Throttle works but haven't seen AUTO THROT warning light when manually overriding the throttles.

I didn't see any trim movement with extending Speed Brake either on indicator or stabilators in external view. I vaugly remember that @fat creason might have implemented the effect instead of their actual movement due to some problems.

Edited by draconus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  VPC CDT-VMAX  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Posted (edited)

Thank you Draconus.  Did the ACLS/AP warning light illuminate with weight on wheels, as seen in the video above?  The timing of going to full power (MIL for the B & A/B for the A) in the arresting wires may be a factor in getting the auto-throttle disengaged warning to illuminate.

I would argue that getting ACLS to work with FFB sticks would be something we could add to the wish-list.

EDIT:  I cannot get 'auto-throttle disengaged light' to illuminate either.

Edited by JupiterJoe

7 minutes ago, JupiterJoe said:

Thank you Draconus.  Did the ACLS/AP warning light illuminate with weight on wheels, as seen in the video above?  The timing of going to full power (MIL for the B & A/B for the A) in the arresting wires may be a factor in getting the auto-throttle disengaged warning to illuminate.

I would argue that getting ACLS to work with FFB sticks would be something we could add to the wish-list.

It once worked, but got patched dead. One of these days.... 

Anyhow, even the times it worked, it was not very precise, so you might be better off to fly it manual all the way. 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Lt_Jaeger said:

You might be better off to fly it manual all the way. 

Thank you Lt_Jaeger.  I understand in real life the ACLS was rarely used and manual carrier landings is the way to go, but it would be nice to get autopilot/ACLS to work as it should with FFB.  I'm very new to the world of FFB and find my MS Sidewinder FFB2 stick breaks away from ATT/ALT hold too often to be useable.  A huge shame, because it's so wonderful in manual flight.

EDIT: No patch today 🙄  Be nice to see what, if anything, was planned for the F-14 in the next patch.

Edited by JupiterJoe

12 minutes ago, JupiterJoe said:

I'm very new to the world of FFB and find it breaks away from ATT/ALT hold too often to be useable.  A huge shame because it's so wonderful in manual flight.

Is it the common cases happens to other mods also (not limit to F-14)? (Yes, I am new to FFB stick)

23 minutes ago, JupiterJoe said:

It was enough to override controls to disengage active ACLS and the warning light went on. Didn't check in the wires.

Afaik it's always MIL at touchdown. The difference is for cat launch procedure.

Yes, FFB working with all AP modes should be added to "To fix" list.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Added the FFB stick with all AP modes in the "To Fix" section.

The list is available at:

Edited by scommander2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, scommander2 said:

Is it the common cases happens to other mods also (not limit to F-14)? (Yes, I am new to FFB stick)

I think that would have something to do with a loose center. I have an old MSFF somewhere as well, and there the AP disconnect on occasion. With my Rhino I can keep the AP on forever. 

Let's hope the "AP dead zone" adjustment of the F-4 carries over to the F-14 as well. That should rectify a lot of dead zone problems. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Lt_Jaeger said:

"AP dead zone" adjustment of the F-4 carries over to the F-14

Should I add the above into the "TODO" section?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, scommander2 said:

Should I add the above into the "TODO" section?

It's a wish list item, because was never planned for Tomcat.

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Lt_Jaeger said:

I think that would have something to do with a loose center. I have an old MSFF somewhere as well, and there the AP disconnect on occasion. With my Rhino I can keep the AP on forever. 

Let's hope the "AP dead zone" adjustment of the F-4 carries over to the F-14 as well. That should rectify a lot of dead zone problems. 

The F-14's FFB model was originally developed on the MS Sidewinder FFB2, by Fat Creason apparently.  I doubt HB would have released it to market if the autopilot was un-useable with it.  I suspect subsequent patches have screwed something up.  Personally I am getting a spurious flight controls input (gradually pitching up/down to at least 50 degrees) when AP is engaged.  It doesn't cause the AP ref light to illuminate in ALT HOLD, which makes me think it's more than just a slack/loose centralising force.

Edited by JupiterJoe

2 minutes ago, draconus said:

It's a wish list item, because was never planned for Tomcat.

Roger.

The updated list is available at:

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, scommander2 said:

The updated list is available at:

Good move to make edits to the OP :thumbup:

• Like 1