Indian Su-30MKI crash

Kusch

Indian Su-30MKI crash near Jaisalmer in Rajasthan, killing one of the two pilots.

The incident occurred at around 1020 hours near Rajmathai village, about 70 kms from here, when the plane, the squadron of which is based in Pune, was on a routine exercise, Defence PRO Lt. Col N N Joshi said.

According to district officials, one of the two pilots, who were both holding the rank of wing commander, was killed.

The other pilot managed to eject safely from the aircraft, they said. A court of inquiry has been ordered into the incident, IAF sources said.

• Like 1

Give me "flying telephone pole" (SA-2)!

Sukhoi's bad month!

Very bad indeed. I hope the russians are showing the indian pilots how to fly those planes before selling them. More info on the cause of the crash needed. Hope the problem was not in the bird itself.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Who says its the Indian's fault? Russian planes crash all the time - just like everyone else's planes.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Who says its the Indian's fault? Russian planes crash all the time - just like everyone else's planes.

I`m not saying that, i`m hoping thats the case. But official story will confirm it or deny it. I certainly wouldn`t like seeing russian planes crashing every month.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In fact, from your experience in the army (those of you that have one), is there a trend to blame pilots for similar incidents or the machine. Probably there is politics involved especially when we are talking about new fighters, it is important also if it is your country thats producing it, selling it, etc., etc. But anyway what are your observations.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well, to be honest, in civilian life most crashes seem to be pilot error too. And with military jets by nature living closer to the edge, the risk of fatal mistakes on the part of the pilots would increase.

But I haven't seen any collation of accident reports that look specifically at that ratio so I don't know. I wouldn't be surprised if it was mostly pilot error and that that judgement is fair.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

I always thought most civil aviation accidents are caused by bad maintenance. Basically someone doing sloppy work. I'd suppose this is the same for military aviation.

We'll learn what happened with the Indian Su-30 sooner or later. No point in making presumptions.

I always thought most civil aviation accidents are caused by bad maintenance. Basically someone doing sloppy work. I'd suppose this is the same for military aviation.

We'll learn what happened with the Indian Su-30 sooner or later. No point in making presumptions.

I would assume that any time a human being starts operating a machine, statistically most accidents are probably going to be caused by the human being. It doesn't mean they don't know what they're doing, it just means that they're human. Humans make mistakes.

Very bad indeed. I hope the russians are showing the indian pilots how to fly those planes before selling them. More info on the cause of the crash needed. Hope the problem was not in the bird itself.

The indians probably the best trained pilots in the world flying russian airframes. I say airframes because their insides are realy international.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

If they're pushing - remember military flying can be inherently high risk - then it is understandable that accidents will occur. Training kills a lot of people. Back in the 50's and early 60's, when supersonic, swept-wing aircraft became commonplace, casualties were eye-watering.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm not gonna put my money on it but I'm pretty sure Indian pilots could teach Russians some flying ticks, especially after Red Flag experience and a fact they log more hours in Flanker than any other user!

Edit:

I was quoting Topol directly so I haven't noticed Pilotasso's post taht says the same thing! Sorry 'bout that!

Edited by Vekkinho

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If they're pushing - remember military flying can be inherently high risk - then it is understandable that accidents will occur. Training kills a lot of people. Back in the 50's and early 60's, when supersonic, swept-wing aircraft became commonplace, casualties were eye-watering.

The F104 wasn't known as the Widowmaker for nothing!

The weakest link is always the human. This is the first mki accident, so I guess that the Indians have very good safety record with their sukhois. About the mig-21 accidents, you got to consider that this airplane has been operating on a very difficult environment (lost of big birds, high temperatures, extreme humidity etc.) also there is an Indian Air-force report that says that the indian mig-21 are a more difficult to land due to the weight that it gained by the implementation of more equipment. for the f104 is almost the same history. The germans had lots of accidents but after they learned the peculiarities of the jet, the accident rates decreased. Both the mig and f104 have big wing-loading so they are a bit tricky to land and take off. For the f-104 there was issues with the ejection seats but those were fixed with later versions.

Some sources say that MiG-21 crashes were seriously reduced after the Bison upgrade.

There also seems to be some speculation as to whether the dead pilot's parachute failed to open or he was hit by debris from the aircraft - not important in the long run I suppose :/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Some sources say that MiG-21 crashes were seriously reduced after the Bison upgrade.

There also seems to be some speculation as to whether the dead pilot's parachute failed to open or he was hit by debris from the aircraft - not important in the long run I suppose :/

So the last info is that he ejected and didn`t fall with the aircraft did he?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sad news for me, I very like Su-30, cool fighter.

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

It's kinda sad how if we hear a US or Russian pilot was killed in the line of duty, we remain silent in a showing of respect. In this case an Indian pilot was killed and we get a thread on human error vs. mechanical failure. :noexpression:

Well Red Tiger, I do not believe that fair to the guys here. It is always sad when someone dies, from any country. It just , in my opinion, that most of us are aviation enthusiast and some time our conversations take us away from the subject. I don't believe is lack of respect, everyone life is equally important

The weakest link is always the human. This is the first mki accident, so I guess that the Indians have very good safety record with their sukhois. About the mig-21 accidents, you got to consider that this airplane has been operating on a very difficult environment (lost of big birds, high temperatures, extreme humidity etc.) also there is an Indian Air-force report that says that the indian mig-21 are a more difficult to land due to the weight that it gained by the implementation of more equipment. for the f104 is almost the same history. The germans had lots of accidents but after they learned the peculiarities of the jet, the accident rates decreased. Both the mig and f104 have big wing-loading so they are a bit tricky to land and take off. For the f-104 there was issues with the ejection seats but those were fixed with later versions.

I do not agree, many aircraft were and still are poorly designed and have many faults. The F-100 vertical tail was to small, F-104 engine was to prone to failure and the first ejection seats were downward ejection: very little survivor rate. B-58 had bad ejection seats. ME163 fuel was as dangerous to pilots as the enemy aircraft. F-14 had hydraulic problems, engines problems, at any rate machine can be blame in many crashes, in my opinion.

Wilde:

Reading the article, It appears to me that it could be the aircraft departed (flat spin) and the pilot was unable to recover it. It could be he black out. Could be flight control problems, hydraulic actuator could have broken or disconnected.

At any rate, as always, very sad to hear about people dying, but thousands die every day, if not more, it is part of life.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Meow there are people out there who undertake risky jobs to make the world tick and some of them die, it’s a natural cycle.

Now the flankers fans would like to see their bird nice and sound, it’s only like AL-31F turbofans.

I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully.

Wilde:

Reading the article, It appears to me that it could be the aircraft departed (flat spin) and the pilot was unable to recover it. It could be he black out. Could be flight control problems, hydraulic actuator could have broken or disconnected.

I was only linking that news-item. I have no idea what happened really. Although I read somewhere else, that the other guy who survived was also injured severely. The man who was killed apparently succumbed in hospital or when he was transported there. Really sad story. :(