Is the apache really that bad?

v2tec
Go to solution Solved by NeedzWD40,

On 7/8/2024 at 10:04 AM, Oceandar said:

For me flying the Apache is far from hard but not enjoyable. I hate it's twitchy tail. Tuned my rudder curve little is helping but still hate it. Hope it gets better with future update.

While I've gotten somewhat used to it, I think its torque modeling is overrepresented and needs to be tuned down. Also maybe program a better way to interrupt the center axis command. I'll never forget my first time triggering that. All the while saying WTF, no no no, as my nose went straight up into the air, and I lost all control over all the inputs

My first assigned aircraft is in my profile name

Ryzen7800x3d/64gb DDR5 amd expo/RTX 4080 super/4tb m2/ Win11 pro

Winwing Orion F16ex (with Shaker kit) Skywalker pedals/Virpil CM3 Mongoose Throttle/ Trackir 5 

F16/A10II/F-18/Ah64/UH60/Super Carrier/Syria/Sinai/Persian Gulf/Afghanistan 

On 7/2/2024 at 7:10 AM, Blackhawk163 said:

Now if only my wingman would stay alive

AI wingmen are frustrating.  I never take one.  Just put up a flight of AI AH-64D's, same flight plan, same mission, and form up with them if you want. 

Edited by Glide

On 7/3/2024 at 4:56 AM, audiman said:

Also if you use Altitude hold, make sure you do not move the collective at all,

I find getting to stable trim takes more than one touch of the trim controls.  It's like it takes two or even three touches of the force trim to get it stable enough for the holds.  I love the Kiowa flight model as well, but so far all I can do is race around in it. 😎

I will add that having no doors in the KW really makes an active AO fun!  There's a lot more sound in the sim than I realized!

Edited by Glide

It just takes practice and getting your curves etc. the way that works best for you.

Myself, I have the axis tunes at :

Pitch and Roll
Saturation X: 85%
Saturation Y: 100%
Curve: 17

Collective:
Saturation X: 100%
Saturation Y: 85%
Curve: 0

You might think I have the Pitch and Roll saturation backwards, but for me adjusting the X axis makes the cyclic a LOT easier, it's not as "reactive" to the inputs, sort of damps them down a bit. The Collective saturation seems to make it easier finding the sweet spot in the middle, and less "jumpy" in that 15-25% torque range (but this may be just be a false observation on my part).

If you go into Utilities and turn off all the SCAS flight assists you can tell exactly what it's doing for you. Still flyable, but really requires a lot of hands on and delicate touch.

I did 20 years as a UH-60 maintainer, crew chief, and Technical Inspector (TI) and while that system is called the AFCS (AUTOMATIC FLIGHT CONTROL SYSTEM) is a bit different performs the same functions. I spent a lot of time underneath a UH-60 and also looking down through the cargo hook access panel during sling load ops, and there is probably nothing more that tests your mettle than being underneath a 16,000 lb behemoth at a hover while you're hooking the load, with nothing sparing you from being squished like a grape other than the pilots ability to maintain the aircraft at a stable hover, and the SCAS/AFCS systems in both aircraft is what allows that. I watched UH-1's doing the same operations and that looked REALLY terrifying as the basic UH-1 doesn't have any of that fancy smanshy assist and REALLY relies on pilots with a steady hand.

On 7/10/2024 at 2:43 PM, shwed said:

Apache flies great 🙂 All axes curves are linear by default.

Yep, she flies real nice.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate. OpenXR, Open XR tool kit disabled.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC.

Vaicom user. Virpil Mongoose base CM3 & Mongoose stick CM2 (not set for dead stick), Virpil TCS with apache Grip. MFG pedals with damper upgrade. Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.

4 hours ago, Rogue Trooper said:

Yep, she flies real nice.

How'd I know it would be a FFB user? 😋

My first assigned aircraft is in my profile name

Ryzen7800x3d/64gb DDR5 amd expo/RTX 4080 super/4tb m2/ Win11 pro

Winwing Orion F16ex (with Shaker kit) Skywalker pedals/Virpil CM3 Mongoose Throttle/ Trackir 5 

F16/A10II/F-18/Ah64/UH60/Super Carrier/Syria/Sinai/Persian Gulf/Afghanistan 

On 7/10/2024 at 9:43 AM, shwed said:

Apache flies great 🙂 All axes curves are linear by default.

To me, the hesitation during the last 17 seconds of this video shows just how bad the FM is. You can tweak curves, saturation etc to help, but the problem is the FM (too twitchy pendulum etc.), and the hold modes are horrible.  It is disappointing that the FM is at this state...mid 2024 and I regret the purchase at this point. Hopefully they can fix this before 2025. SMH.

• Like 1

Yes, the tail is quite active when trying to slow to a hover; I’m hoping this will be addressed in the future, along with the excessive crabbing.

But, I don’t get what people are complaining about with the hold modes. Granted, I never use them in forward flight, but they seem rock solid for me to maintain a stable hover.

If you have a little drift in any direction when you enable AT Hold, it will take one major correction to get back to the spot where you enabled hold, but then the helo stays planted for days.

Trim it out with less than 2 knots of sustained drift, and engage AT Hold. Manage the collective to get the VSI steady at 0, and engage ALT Hold. Go make a sandwich.

Edited by Floyd1212
  • Like 1