Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC ×
Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC

AH64D?

More like 2.5. Didn't they destroy more tanks in the Gulf War than any other aircraft? Must be time for a flyable pig on lockon...

http://www.f-111.net/dash-1.htm

"In Desert Storm, F-111Fs completed 3.2 successful strike missions for every unsuccessful one, making it 47% more capable than the next leading strike aircraft.[24] The small 66-plane F-111F force was credited with 1,500 kills of Iraqi tanks and other mechanized vehicles. The F-111F was the only Desert Storm aircraft to deliver the GBU-15 and the 5,000-pound laser-guided, penetrating GBU-28." source wiki

Edited by Mugatu

I hope I got that right?

Is it true the DCS are going to be doing an Apache Sim like Blackshark, I for one reckon that would be excellent.:thumbup:

I am old so be nice, but I remember buying my first ever computer, a comodore 64 with the tape deck thingy just so I could play microprose's Gunship, loved it.

In my humble opinion (maybe some nostalgia there) that was the best apache sim ever made, because of the game play and the depth. I wonder whatever happened to microprose, they made some excellent games for the 64 and then later my amiga 500:)

Cheers all

i loved microprose. the first pc game i bought was Microprose Tank Platoon and thought it was fantasic. the ability to move to different stations within the tank, give orders to other tanks and call in air strikes and recon was well done

hardware: Alienware Area-51 7500 - 2x 8800 GTX 768 MB SLI - 4GB RAM - Vista 64-bit - Saitek X52 Pro - TrackIR 5 Pro

The max listed speed of the 111 is mach 2.5. However, this aircraft was mainly meant for low level and mid-level bombing missions. As such it's maximum speed would be far below that (especially down on the deck where the air is thicker). Considering it is not stealthy in any respect, in todays environment it would only be useful at NOE flight utilzing its terrain following radar/autopilot ... unless all air defenses were knocked out ahead of time.

The only aircraft to hit/exceed mach 3 in a production military aircraft were the Mig-25 and Mig-31.

Now, back on to the topic. I'd love to see a sim of the AH-64, even the A version. However, how are they going to deal with the multiple positions of the aircraft? It would seem to me having to switch back and forth between the 2 positions in the middle of a battle would be quite a chore, not to mention rather hazardous.

What would be the point of modeling both the A-10A & C variant? Just pick one and do it well. I'd vote for the C variant. But yeah I'd like to see that one done.

The Mi-24 would be interesting but considering we now have the ka50 ... we have our dosage of Russian attack helos so I'm not sure how hard I would press for this.

The F-15C I would love to see. :)

The Mig-29A I would REALLY love to see .... cause I want to play around with that IRST (Infra-red search and track) system. But I would imagine this is still relatively classified hardware. If they can't include that aspect then I'd almost be inclined to say "Skip it"

The F-16c. Hmmm. Lead Pursuit did a great job with Falcon 4: Allied Force. It would be interesting to see if DCS could do better but I think it might be better to not get in to a competition war and maybe just stick to the F-15 since nobody else has done a good sim of that aircraft in a long while.

Edited by Topgun505

Topgun505

Win 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700k, Evga GTX 1080 FTW, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, Alienware 34" 2K LED, TrackIR 5 Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Rudder, Thrustmaster MFDs x3, Razer Nostromo n52.

@Scrape: I don't know where the heck you got those figures from.

In Brown Books' "American Top Guns" it is stated that the top speed of the F-111A is Mach 2.4 at altitude and 1.2 at sea level. Its maximum weapons load is 11.340kg

Weight F-111F, empty 47,481 pounds (21,367 kilograms).

Maximum Takeoff Weight F-111F, 100,000 pounds (45,000 kilograms).

according to FAS. And I doubt that the F-model weighs twice as much as the A-model. So I suppose that his figures aren't that off.

Well I know for one thing that the Apache module is supposed to have back seat ops at least in multiplayer. Thats a good point because if you can't rely on AI wingman how are you going to trust your AI pilot or weapons officer. Hmmmmmmm........

Yeah. I mean ... one of the main tactics is pop up from behind cover, take a shot, and dip back down. Would be harder than heck to do that in a time-effective manner while having to switch back and forth between positions. And trusting the duties to an AI ... um ... yeah I don't see that.

As much as I love the AH-64 I don't see it being terribly feasible. Probably need to stick to aircraft that are operated by a single crew member.

So ... I guess my vote would be for the Mig-29 (if they can include the IRST) ..... and, failing that, then the A-10C. :thumbup:

Topgun505

Win 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700k, Evga GTX 1080 FTW, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, Alienware 34" 2K LED, TrackIR 5 Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Rudder, Thrustmaster MFDs x3, Razer Nostromo n52.

As much as I love the AH-64 I don't see it being terribly feasible. Probably need to stick to aircraft that are operated by a single crew member.

ED seems to disagree. They've already posted WIP screenshots of the AH-64A cockpit. The tentative plan is to release it after DCS: A-10C.

I think the front seat would be more useful in MP. Its how their gonna model the front seat is what I would like to see.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Weight F-111F, empty 47,481 pounds (21,367 kilograms).

Maximum Takeoff Weight F-111F, 100,000 pounds (45,000 kilograms).

according to FAS. And I doubt that the F-model weighs twice as much as the A-model. So I suppose that his figures aren't that off.

While the F-111 in theory has an impressive payload capabillity, in actual weapons carriage ability it is mostly limited by the number of hardpoints. If it is to be able to swing the wings all the way, then only one hardpoint on each wing can be used, and the F-111 doesn't have any hardpoints under the belly due to low ground clearance.

Though it does have an internal bomb bay capable of carrying two 750 lbs bombs, or something of similar size/weight.

ED seems to disagree. They've already posted WIP screenshots of the AH-64A cockpit. The tentative plan is to release it after DCS: A-10C.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see them do it! And as long as the 2 seats worth of functionality can be combined in a cohesive way that doesn't impeed combat functionality then I'll certainly dive in to it. I just have some reservations about how they will do it. Will be interesting to see how they tackle it.

Topgun505

Yeah, they had a couple losses to AAA and then began using Buccaneers fitted for ECM support, right?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

We'll be relying onthe yanks that are based over here when the Tornado F3 go out of service. A whole 8 months before the replacement come in service.... if not longer

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

is the RAF replacing the tornado's with the euro fighter? or is it just a new jet to add to there air force?

i like how the jaguar can hold the aim-9 on the top of the wings looks cool.

I'm not really all that concerned about the next aircraft, if its DCS it will be a great add on that's the bottom line. :thumbup:

HP TouchSmart IQ816 / 25.5" HD touch screen / 9600GS 512/ Core 2 Duo 2.16 / 4GB RAM / VISTA 64 / CH Fighterstick

Tbh tho... The Jaguar is neat as well. A couple years back I was doing a gig close to Norwich and damn those Jag pilots that were practicing in the area knew their stuff.

But the Jag's left service as well, right?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

before its time... they upgraded it then took it out of service, Our most cost afective plane it was. Budget cuts..... Less money for the defence budget.

Edited by joey45

Man does anybody remember DI's sim "Tornado?" And then Ef-2000.....man those were some fond memories....

To get back on topic though.....I think 2 seat operations could get a bit sketchy, great for MP play, but not sure how you'd fare with AI without "dumbing it down" or frustrating the pilot. In fact, my favorite part of simming is weaponeering. I don't WANT the AI being the CPG, because I enjoy those tasks. However, watching how the AI fles in BS, i don't think I'd have much choice....

ya i flew DI's twister..was a working mans sim.... you worked evrytime you flew it....lol back in the day microprose came out with there F15 series i think it was F15 II or maybe III..had a coop.... frontseat/basckseat F15 multiplayer that was alot of fun...at 14.40 baud rate...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] SMOKE'M:smoke: IF YA GOT'M!:gun_rifle:

H2o Cooler I7 9700k GA 390x MB Win 10 pro

Evga RTX 2070 8Gig DD5

32 Gig Corsair Vengence, 2T SSD.

TM.Warthog:joystick: :punk:, CV-1:matrix:,3x23" monitors, Tm MFD's, Saitek pro rudders wrapped up in 2 sheets of plywood:megalol:

@Scrape: I don't know where the heck you got those figures from.

In Brown Books' "American Top Guns" it is stated that the top speed of the F-111A is Mach 2.4 at altitude and 1.2 at sea level. Its maximum weapons load is 11.340kg

Okay guys I understand that you may have well read those figures in a book, but since the a/c is no longer in the USAF inventory I can talk about it to some degree leaving some things out of course. While you read about the 111 in a book I trained on it and was task to maintain its weapons systems, soon after I moved to the F-16 and now the F-15E. I don't have to quote a book I am speaking from experience. That jet could literally fly so fast that it would fade the paint.

I'd like for you to keep in mind how the USAF feels about the capability of its a/c and the threat they pose to other nations. If intelligence gathering was as simple as picking up a book in B Daultons then there would be no need to have restricted areas on base. I'm not sure about what other countries have in their 111s but like the 15 we keep the best parts for ourselves.

"It's amazing, even at the Formula 1 level how many drivers still think the brakes are for slowing the car down."

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Carrier Strike Group 1 | Discord