Unable to get a new chopper!

DanKurt

Due to laser burn out ( yes Ive tried to use it sparingly and it always dies mid way into my second weapons load out, no matter what I do!).

I am getting frustrated with not being able to complete some campaigns due to this fact ( I can complete them if I attack the main goal but I tend to fail when I re visit the campaign to take out all the secondary targets) and for some reason I am unable to get a new Kamov when I tab-rctrl-rshift:mad:

I land my duff chopper and then hit tab-rctrl-rshift expecting a shiney new chopper but nowt happens.

Any suggestions?

Why are you obsessed with taking out all the secondary targets?

I don't know what tab-rctrl-rshift is supposed to do, but I would wager that it's the recover function? Normally used when you have crashed? I don't use it but I think (from watching a brother try out the sim with that on) you have to have crashed to use that.

What I do when I have a laser burnout is I land, shut down the helicopter, then I go out for a smoke. When I come back I have a new chopper. I don't know what the actual time requirement for a chopper swap there is, but 3 minutes or so seems to do it. (And that's frankly a pretty impressive time for getting a brand new chopper moved up, fueled and armed. ;) ) The important thing to remember when doing that is to NOT request anything once you have landed. Don't ask for fuel, weapons, or anything. Just shut down the chopper - doing anything with the ground crew seems to indicate to them that you want to keep your chopper.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

What I do when I have a laser burnout is I land, shut down the helicopter, then I go out for a smoke
at a guess thats what the real pilots do...:megalol:

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Hahah, you know what, I think that's probably true. Didn't think of that. :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Thanks for the info EtherealN. I'm always using the ground crew. I'll wait this time out, I don't smoke but fetching another beer and pouring a glass should just about do it

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

Why are you obsessed with taking out all the secondary targets?

'cause it's fun, and drives up your score :)

I do it all the time as well, but I don't have a problem with laser burn-out. I keep it switched off when not targeting from a distance. The secondary targets (supply trucks, etc) I usually take out with the cannon in the fixed position while flying low to the ground over/near the targets. Occasionally I visit the FARP to re-arm, then continue cleaning. Seldom suffer laser burnout though.

You must stick to a 30min cooldown time after using the laser for so often, then it won't burn out. The exact numbers on how often it can be used until cooldown is needed are somewhere on the forum.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

You must stick to a 30min cooldown time after using the laser for so often

I only get a few hours to play at the weekend (wife, kids and sims dont mix too well) so this seems excessive. What do you do in that half hour?

Any way the battle could be won or lost by the time my laser has decided to cool off:doh:

I,ll give it a try tonight, but I'm not convinced.:book:

I wonder if it is modelled that flying around and having flowing air cools down the laser quicker then just sitting still with non flowing air. Just wondering.

Dusty Rhodes

Play HARD, Play FAIR, Play TO WIN

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit / Intel i7 4790 Devils Canyon, 4.0 GIG /ASUS Maximus VII Formula Motherboard/ ASUS GTX 1080 8 GB/ 32 Gigs of RAM / Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / TrackIR 5 / 2 Cougar MFD's / Saitek Combat Pedals/ DSD Button Box FLT-1

Well what is the cooling mehcanism then?

Dusty Rhodes

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit / Intel i7 4790 Devils Canyon, 4.0 GIG /ASUS Maximus VII Formula Motherboard/ ASUS GTX 1080 8 GB/ 32 Gigs of RAM / Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / TrackIR 5 / 2 Cougar MFD's / Saitek Combat Pedals/ DSD Button Box FLT-1

Me neder. I wonder if a Rep from ED could weigh in on this. It would be good info for fighting the BlackShark.

Dusty Rhodes

What do you do in that half hour?

In my case, it's usually spent heading back to the FARP, rearming and refuelling, and then returning to the combat area. ;)

Any way the battle could be won or lost by the time my laser has decided to cool off:doh:

Yup. Just like in real life. This is why you need to be really certain that each time you use the laser you use it for a purpose. I have very seldom gotten issues with it after I learned to be really conservative with it - I usually don't even have it in standby mode unless I am about to deploy a weapon. (And even then it's the last thing I activate before I hit the lock button on the target.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

This reminds me of a point I brought up before. Yes, egress/ingress time will allow for cool-down of the laser. Do people who experience frequent burnouts use Unlimited weapons? If you just fire your real-life loadout, you should be within the laser limits.

ED Team, I think if Unlimited weapons is selected then the laser burnout feature should be disabled.

i7-7700K@4.8GHz, 16Gb-3200, GTX-1080Ti-Strix-11Gb, Maximus IX Hero, Oculus Rift, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C, Logitech G940 Pedals.

No I play with limited amo as realism is my buzz, but even with switching the laser into standby after taking out a couple of targets, it still will not last long enough to get me through a second load out.

I may try switching down my bird at the farp and waiting until I get a new one, which was suggested earlier as the TAB-RCTRL-RSHIFT does not work for me.

Dankurt, my personal suspicion is that you are doing too many rangings between each targeting. From memory (fallible) it is specifically the ranging lasing that is prone to cause failure.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

I think the longest ive been in the air at any 1 time is only 20-25 mins at the most so ive never had mine burn out yet even though i had it on all the time (doh) but since reading on these forums ive been setting to stanby

Keeping it on stby does not hurt it, only lasing will heat it up. It's recommended to mind the cooldown times that are displayed on the hud after each lase, if you do that, you are good to fire 12 vikhrs without burning the laser out.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!