Track IR and Black Shark

Guest Socomser

Guest Socomser

Hey guys, I'm new here.

I was just wondering, is DCS Black Shark really worth buying without track ir? almost every video i've seen of Black Shark has the user using track ir. I guess my real question is, will the game be just as good using just my mouse?

It's what I usually tell others who are thinking about TrackIR and <anonymous-simulator-r-us>.

If you fly more than 1 simulator it's definitively worth it. Most sims support TIR today.

If you're just contemplating flying this sim as a "on/off arcade thingy" then don't :)

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

I had BS for a little while before I got the TrackIR. It's still worth it (you're probably used to using the joystick hat for your view already), but TrackIR definitely adds to the experience tremendously. Same deal for the rudder pedals; not necessary, but real nice anyway!

Same deal for the rudder pedals; not necessary, but real nice anyway!

Exactly. The only necessity is meeting the minimum system reqs. Everything after that is icing on the "convincing simulation" cake.:pilotfly:

It just so happens that a lot of these gadgets also make the controls more intuitive, thus easier to play.

Another note - if you are very good at using the mouse with your "off" hand, then the value of TrackIR is severely diminished. I can get almost the same freedom with the mouse in my left hand as I do with TrackIR (huge amounts of training using the left handed mouse for view in IL-2). If you have this capability, put TrackIR down a few notches.

But even if you, like me, is "trained" in that art, TrackIR will still offer a whole new level of immersion since controlling view will not be a question of training - it'll be rooted all the way down in the reptile part of your brain.

So if you have the money, TrackIR is definitely worth it. If you don't have the money but have a webcam, check out Cachya (~15 dollars, more tweaking, but pretty much the same performance).

Either way, the sim will be extremely enjoyable "even" without TrackIR or similar - I didn't get it until a month or so after I got DCS whereupon I decided it was so good I really couldn't defend abstinence from spending the money on TrackIR.

Like Safari Ken said - it's nice, but not necessary.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

I think it's the best bit of PC hardware that i have purchased for a long time.

It makes flying any aircraft so much more realistic and immersive. If it broke tomorrow i wouldn't want to fly BS untill i purchased another. :pilotfly:

If you get a 'head track' gadget then you free up that HAT for something else like.. trim and WPN selection.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

I think it's the best bit of PC hardware that i have purchased for a long time.

It makes flying any aircraft so much more realistic and immersive. If it broke tomorrow i wouldn't want to fly BS untill i purchased another. :pilotfly:

That is what happened to me. It broke for an unknown reason and I didn't fly until Natural Point send me a new one. By the way they have great support.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ASUS M4A79 Deluxe, AMD Phenom II X4 940@3.5GHz, ATI 6870 1GB, Windows 7 64bit, Kingstone HyperX 4GB, 2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB, Asus Xonar DX Sound Card, Saitek X52 PRO, TrackIR 44: Pro.

That is what happened to me. It broke for an unknown reason and I didn't fly until Natural Point send me a new one. By the way they have great support.

I agree completely, mine was behaving oddly on my last computer. I did'nt fly until I got the issue resolved (once one has gotten used to it one never goes back). Their support was great!

(It turned out a reinstall of windows and using a USB port from the little seven-pin connectors on the mobo solved the problem).

If it broke tomorrow i wouldn't want to fly BS untill i purchased another. :pilotfly:

Really?

I love my TIR, but I'd still be flying if it was temporarily busted, although maybe in arcade setting.

Now, joystick, that can't be dispensed with.