speed to attack

tonym

The problem I have, is that when I get to the point of attack, I slow down to a hover, but then trying to line up to bring the missiles to bear, I invariably have to drop the nose and end up heading into enemy fire at 200 kph. Bad idea!!

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong.

Tonym

Only a Bad Idea 'cos you're still got an extra 100km/h or thereabouts to play with - Speed it Up ;)

As GG said - if you're that close to the HZ that you're bringing Rockets to Bear, then you'd best be Belting it to launch.......that way you're in a Good/Better position to Go Defensive.

You do not want to be caught at 50-100km/h.....Only person that's Gonna be Grinning is the ZSU-Driver :D

If you're referring to Vikhrs, Prosecute the Target by having regard to your Shkval - that way you are not dropping the Nose to get Visual on the Targets. From Stand-Off Range you'll have time to extend if you get too close.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

I think a detailed description on the best way to engage with rockets is needed. Maybe we could have some ideas posted here, instead of starting a new thread.

I for one have a difficult time avoiding overspeed warning when I try to use rockets.

Attempting to accuratly select the target and lining it up for the kill always brings me unstuck.

I understand that rockets are an area affect weapon, but I still need to be able to remove armour targets when I have no guided weapons available.

Detailed help would be greatly appreciated.

Or even uploading a track to see how it's done properly would be even more helpful.

Thanks.

Rectum non bustus

Best way I have found to deal with rockets is to initially aim for a point ahead of what I want to shoot (between me and the target) and then let the reticle fly over the target, basically think about it in terms of drawing a line over the enemy instead of just trying to put the reticle on a fixed point if that makes sense.

Edit: Best learning method for me was just setting "infinate ammo" on in the options, loading up a shooting range mission and just strafing things over and over until I got the hang of it :smilewink:.

Edited by RobC

IIRC the AH-64 uses a device to point the Hydras downwards, toward the aiming point in the ground so that you have only to aim the aircraft in the yaw axis. Ka-50's Vikhr mountpoints have a similar device, so I do not understand why they are not employed for S-80s.

Vista, Suerte y al Toro!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

IIRC the AH-64 uses a device to point the Hydras downwards, toward the aiming point in the ground so that you have only to aim the aircraft in the yaw axis. Ka-50's Vikhr mountpoints have a similar device, so I do not understand why they are not employed for S-80s.

Well, on an AH-64 those inboard positions are used for hellfire racks as well, since the KA-50 carries all ATGM on the outboard positions it was probably a weight saving measure to keep the inner ones fixed. Just a guess anyway.

Read Ed Macy's Apache. There are a few times in there where he talks about rocket attacks. The book is not a trainer, rather it is a great read, but it helped me wrap my head around rockets.

2600K @ 4.2GHz, MSI P67A-GD55, 16GB G.Skill @2133 , GTX 970, Rift, SSD boot & DCS drive

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In case anyone didn't know, there is a rotary dial on the back right panel in the cockpit for selecting the type of rockets used.. Manual Page:2-92

This won't affect any launch characteristics but does align the targeting circle on the HUD for the specific rocket type used, if the dial is on the wrong setting, rockets will fly way off line.. :)

In case anyone didn't know, there is a rotary dial on the back right panel in the cockpit for selecting the type of rockets used.. Manual Page:2-92

This won't affect any launch characteristics but does align the targeting circle on the HUD for the specific rocket type used, if the dial is on the wrong setting, rockets will fly way off line.. :)

Interesting! In my digital manual it's page 6-94 btw. But it seems that the right setting is automatically selected, so that's one thing less to worry about :)

At the start of a mission, the rocket selector switch will be automatically set to comply with selected rockets from the mission planner. If more than one rocket type is selected, the selector will set first rockets by hard point number (outer on the left wing is #1 and outer on the right wing is #4). Before a second rocket type is used, you must select the dial position manually for the rocket type of gun pod.

Well, as you can see in the second quoted bit there it's still relevant - especially in multiplayer where you are more likely to be switching loadouts.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

All great replies! :)

@GGtharos, So if there is still armour in a column of vehicles and you are bingo on Vikhrs, then best thing to do is RTB and reload? I have two pods of s80's.

Surely they would do some damage, even knock one tank out of the game.

As for guns, even AP don't do squat to an MBT like an Abrams. Are there no specific techniques for ending armour with rockets?

@ 26-J39; thanks for the tip! :)

Rectum non bustus

astrospud: np :thumbup: Any tank can be killed using rockets or AP rounds in DCS ;)

When using rockets you need roughly 3-4 direct hits.. Considering the in-accuracy of rockets you need to be very close. Fly low and fast and use medium salvo's, fire when your close. Love me rockets :P:D

Edit: Just to clarify: 3-4 direct hits, meaning individual rockets...

Edited by 26-J39

Theoretically you could engage Armour with Rockets (S-8 KOM). Thing is, you gotta have a Healthy set of Brass Marbles to attempt so in the first place.......:D

"...S-8KOM (HEAT) are anti-tank/armour rockets. The are designed for use against modern tanks and more lightly armoured vehicles and have an additional anti-personnel fragmentation effect. The S-8KOM is 1.57 m long and weigh 11.3 kg. It has a 3.6 kg shaped charge fragmentation warhead contains 0.9 kg of explosive charge and is credited with the ability to penetrate 400 mm of armour plate. Maximum speed of this rocket is 610 m/s and it has an effective range of 1.3 to 4 km..."

Link

As to whether the above is modelled correctly In-Game, I'm not sure - Have never tried engaging a MBT with S-8's. Time for a Test.........

Edit: Beaten by 26-J39:)

Btw - Are you sure re Abrams MBT and AP Rounds? Could not kill them at all with AP/HE Rounds. Must try again .

Edited by 159th_Viper

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes, you can kill a tank with AP-rounds, but you have to be a lot closer than comfort-level and it takes a lot of rounds.

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

If you got a throttle and good joystick I think it's quite easy to get the target reticle in right position, turn auto-turn-to-target on,

then you only need to get the right height. I think it's 100 times easier to play with the collective then, instead of using pitch.

Viper: Yes i'm quite sure. One of the first things i tested when the patch come out :D

Ta :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeah, me neither. I emptied both canisters and got no smoke.:cry: Just lot's of pretty tracers bouncing off!

Tried a wee while ago and you gotta be Real Close and Stand on the Trigger till your Finger Hurts..........:gun_rifle:..........In the meantime, the MBT Commander has strolled out of the Hatch and Capped your A$$ with his 9mm Service Pistol.........:cry:

I'll stick with Vikhrs.....In a moment of Reckless Frisky Abandon I might attempt a Rocket Strafe......but that's pushing it!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]