Is Flaming Cliffs 2.0 built on the DCS engine?

tineras

Still using XP. I have a dual core. Will I get any dual core performance from FC 2.0 or will I have to upgrade to Vista / Windows 7 ?

It is my understanding that with Vista/Win 7 you are not getting a boost from multi-core processors as DCS/FC 2.0 does not use support multi-core. In someway setting DCS to use multicore in Vista/Win 7 (done automatically with the last post) improves efficiency but I do not think it is in the same way as a game designed to use multicore. If someone could please elaborate, that would be great.

It is my understanding that with Vista/Win 7 you are not getting a boost from multi-core processors as DCS/FC 2.0 does not use support multi-core. In someway setting DCS to use multicore in Vista/Win 7 (done automatically with the last post) improves efficiency but I do not think it is in the same way as a game designed to use multicore. If someone could please elaborate, that would be great.

Then what does this mean?

From readme1.0.1_en.txt

* Vista users using multi-core systems will now have affinity automatically set to use all cores.

In my post I mention that the patch set the affinity automatically to use all cores.

Now I am asking everyone, does DCS properly support multicore processors, or is setting affinity automatically to use all cores give a performance boost in Vista some other way? I am thinking it is the latter.

All true. Not much more to say, old topic in the BS forum part. Some people compared win xp with vista (at that time) and found slightly improvements. I myself haven't installed BS since i moved to win 7. When i do i'll give some feedback. But the BS engine works only on one core, win vista and 7 can distribute all other processes better, which could explain an improvement.

edit:

..with the stock BS, the exe was "fixated" on one core. With the affinity set to all cores, windows can manage the processes better: move from one core to another: means better performance

Edited by asparagin
new post from crunch
Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, MSI MEG X570 UNIFY (AM4, AMD X570, ATX), Noctua NH-DH14, EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti XC3 ULTRA, Seasonic Focus PX (850W), Kingston HyperX 240GB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus (1000GB, M.2 2280), 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 DIMM CL16, Cooler Master 932 HAF, Samsung Odyssey G5; 34", Win 10 X64 Pro, Track IR, TM Warthog, TM MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudders

In vista and win 7, DirectX benefits from being multithreaded , due to its redesign in DX 10. By setting DCS to use more than one core, DX takes advatage of multiple cores.

The dual-core boost is from DX10 not DCS.

Nate

I don't think this is the case. BS uses DX9. And the DX10 multithread is not for high performance, just for some low level applications. For high performance you still need a graphic card.

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, MSI MEG X570 UNIFY (AM4, AMD X570, ATX), Noctua NH-DH14, EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti XC3 ULTRA, Seasonic Focus PX (850W), Kingston HyperX 240GB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus (1000GB, M.2 2280), 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 DIMM CL16, Cooler Master 932 HAF, Samsung Odyssey G5; 34", Win 10 X64 Pro, Track IR, TM Warthog, TM MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudders

I don't think this is the case. BS uses DX9. And the DX10 multithread is not for high performance, just for some low level applications. For high performance you still need a graphic card.

Exactly, it is the low level DX calls that are multithreaded in DX 10, It doesn't matter if the application is DX7 or DX9 or DX10 the base DX calls are now Multithreaded before they even go anywhere near the GPU.

Nate

I wish I could speak with some scientific certainty on this matter, but...

From all that I observe and understand, yes, DCS does benifit from the use of multicore and 64 bit systems, and no, there is not a multicore benifit in XP32.

FWIW, Win7Pro has been the best computer related purchase I have made in years, perhaps ever. It is not without it's warts, but as a whole it is a solid performer.

Exactly, it is the low level DX calls that are multithreaded in DX 10, It doesn't matter if the application is DX7 or DX9 or DX10 the base DX calls are now Multithreaded before they even go anywhere near the GPU.

Nate

I'm still not convinced. First running the game is for sure not a low level application. I think the idea at the time is to get some graphical applications run better on systems like laptops that have only integrated graphic cards, but we are talking here about things like shiny interface for windows, stuff like that. Letting CPU handle textures (e.g.) is not possible at the time.

Second graphic wasn't from the beginning an issue in BS. You can raise the level of the graphics and if you have a mid class GC you will not notice any drops in FPS.

A benefit could still be that some GC work better with DX9 than with DX8 (Lock On).

Spoiler

DCS does benifit from the use of multicore and 64 bit systems, and no, there is not a multicore benifit in XP32.

you got things a little mixed up. When BS came and the affinity was set for one core there was an "affinity tool" which would set the affinity to all cores. But: only win vista would benefit from this. (not xp). so this only can mean that windows vista actually benefits from setting the affinity to all cores, since DCS does not supprt more cores than one.

Spoiler