x52 drivers OMG! crashed windows hard

StrongHarm

Got my spiffy new x52 HOTAS. Unpacked it and grabbed the Vista64 drivers from the website. Installed the drivers and SST (not CD as suggested in other posts). Disabled FFB as suggested on many posts. Downloaded an awesome profile from Kurtz(thanks!). Was flying for the first time, drool escaping the corner of my mouth and fkn BAM! BSOD for saiC0762.dll. Reboot and it gives c000021a fatal system error every time I try to boot up. OK.. I'll accept the challenge. I put in the vista64 cd and run diags:

Root cause found:

A recent driver installation or upgrade may have prevented the system from starting.

System restore back to this morning and booted successfully. I uninstall the SST software.. but can't find the device drivers.. ok > view > show hidden devices. Ahh.. the Saitek 'Magic Bus' (now I'm scared). I manually uninstall each item under 'Magic Bus'. x52 unplugged, software and drivers apparently uninstalled. After reboot.. c000021a fatal system error and back to square one. A search finds hundres of sai*.dll files in driverstore, system32, you name it. Registry shows several entries still there even though I uninstalled everything.

Has anyone else had this experience? I'm floored by the fact that a mainstream device vendor like Saitek could produce such harmful drivers. The x52 really owns me, but the software is eating my lunch.

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

Hmmm... Didn't happen to me on my Vista64 laptop. I'm not at home at the moment, so I can't check version numbers on my SST or drivers.

IIRC, the Magic Bus is related to the mouse functions (mini stick and related buttons on the throttle).

It might be worth checking out Saitek's forums to see if the problem has been reported by others, etc. (Of course, you may have done that by now...).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Hmmm... Didn't happen to me on my Vista64 laptop. I'm not at home at the moment, so I can't check version numbers on my SST or drivers.

IIRC, the Magic Bus is related to the mouse functions (mini stick and related buttons on the throttle).

It might be worth checking out Saitek's forums to see if the problem has been reported by others, etc. (Of course, you may have done that by now...).

Yeah, I went through the Saitek forums. It's hard to find anything with all the hate posts. The search engine in their forums doesn't work either heheh. I'm going to call their support line when it opens (PST). I've been and will continue to use my mad google-fu skills. Thanks CyBerkut.

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

There is a procdure to clear all the saitek software and entries from the registry.

You must delete all the Saitek entries *.sai

also there is :

When uninstalling the drivers themselves from device manager, don't just right click on the devices and select "uninstall". For some of them, this doesn't to the trick. Instead:

- Right click on the device

- Select properties

- Go to the driver

- Click uninstall

- You'll get a dialog asking if you're sure you want to do this - in some cases there's also a checkbox labelled "delete driver files" or similar - make sure you tick this, otherwise they'll still be on your system and automatically used next time you plug it in.

I did this in the uninstall process:

Start> Run> ny-7

after I ran the uninstall for the Saitek software.

Also I did a search in the C:Programs Files\Windows\System32\sai*.* ( -- be very careful as there maybe unrelated sai*.* files that are not Saitek related! look at the date of the files you delete ! --)

Edited by Ramstein

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

FWIW, on my Vista64 laptop:

Opening the Profile Editor and checking the "about" screen reports the SST version as 6.6.2.0.

Control Panel properties for the X52 reports Driver Version 6.0.4.1 and Software Version 6.6.0.38

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Mine:

Opening the Profile Editor and checking the "about" screen reports the SST version as 6.6.6.9

Control Panel properties for the X52 reports Driver Version 6.2.2.4 and Software Version 6.6.0.38

WinXP

Edited by Ramstein

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

It seems the install corrupted my system and software registry hives. My system seemed to be clean.. I've been working on computers for many years. I installed the x52 on my win7.64 laptop with the same drivers and have seen no issues. I can only assume that the drivers irritated an existing condition.

I was able to replace the hives from the regback in a command prompt at the vista startup cd. There were still inconsistancies that bugged me, so I wiped the array and I'm currently performing restores from various backups.

I'd rather be flying! :pilotfly:

I had problems with SST direct output issues with my X52 Pro.

Saitek Directoutput seemed to cause BSOD on my Vista 32 machine. The BSOD was a "Bad Pool" error. Direct Output, IIRC, is associated with the MFD on the throttle quadrant. Not sure if your X52 has this particular service attached to it, but I just disabled the service and I've had no problems since.

Oh, also I have not bound any function to my ministick, also on the throttle quad. For some reason any continuous input through the ministick would cause all sorts of input lag - the buffer would be filled with all ministick inputs and the other inputs would lag behind until the buffer cleared. This could be in the order of 5 to 10 seconds of lag!

FYI, I originally had my Shkval slew mapped to the ministick, but since changed it to POV hat 1. Now, no input lag and no BSOD!

• Like 1

Rectum non bustus

Are you sure the problem is really with Saitek drivers? There is long jurney from your joy to cpu. Joy -> USB (USB driver) -> South Bridge (chipset driver) -> North Bridge (chipset driver) -> CPU (-> RAM). As you claim being Pro in computers, you probably know that. There are many factors, and all possible drivers on your computer could leade into crashing (even there is BSOD and saiC0762.dll message). Overclocking can make system unstable, playing with Memory voltage, etc. etc. There could be nothing wrong with drivers, but with your hardware...

PC crash probably caused disk data inconsistency -> registry hive problem. Don't blame Saitek for making this disaster to you at first moment. Better check all PC components first (RAM test, checkdisk, CPU test,...)

I have Vista 64bit and Saitek X52 and don't have problems at all. SST is version 6.6.6.9 and driver dunno, I'm not at home at the moment, but it's that one coming with the SST version.

Don't blame Saitek for making this disaster to you at first moment. Better check all PC components first (RAM test, checkdisk, CPU test,...)

Um. Thanks airtom. I appreciate your advice. I did a full system workup with professional software and board level hardware tools. My system's pretty well maintained. I'm not claiming to know 'more than you' pal, but I don't 'play with voltages' :lol: I was teaching pc101 before students knew the word internet. I "didn't blame Saitek for making this disaster to me" without troubleshooting. Assume neutral creditability please, until a guy gives you reason not to.

As I said before, it very well could have been that the driver irritated an existing software condition. HOWEVER, no driver should be invasive enough for this to happen. PahLeaase don't tell me about malware, viruses, blah blah... I probably wrote my first virus while you were still an itch in your daddies sack Dwight.

Thanks for stopping by.

I had problems with SST direct output issues with my X52 Pro.

Saitek Directoutput seemed to cause BSOD on my Vista 32 machine. The BSOD was a "Bad Pool" error. Direct Output, IIRC, is associated with the MFD on the throttle quadrant. Not sure if your X52 has this particular service attached to it, but I just disabled the service and I've had no problems since.

Oh, also I have not bound any function to my ministick, also on the throttle quad. For some reason any continuous input through the ministick would cause all sorts of input lag - the buffer would be filled with all ministick inputs and the other inputs would lag behind until the buffer cleared. This could be in the order of 5 to 10 seconds of lag!

FYI, I originally had my Shkval slew mapped to the ministick, but since changed it to POV hat 1. Now, no input lag and no BSOD!

+1 Thanks astrospud! That's great information. I appreciate your time.

I've been working on computers for many years.

I probably wrote my first virus while you were still an itch in your daddies sack Dwight.

I couldn't find a word in your thread about making some low level investigations of your computer. Only some sentences how good you are. Not interested in helping you mate anymore...

Dwight.png
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 8 years later...

Aye, but i have seen this again becoming a issue and thought the reply would activate the thread a little for any searching for help. Logitech Tech has released this beast again circa the 2018-19 version and its needs more light put on it I felt.

Either way I get your point, just thought it may help someone to put a little life in the thread.

Peace !

p.s. Grabbing my F14 today, was supposed to yesterday but had issue with my payment card.. now solved I hope.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey

Im still using an x52 but on Windows 7. I recently updated the drivers from the Logitech site and everything seems to work OK, has never crashed for me.

The MFD goes haywire after 30 minutes or so in the KA50, starts showing like Aurebesh font and symbols like on the Predator's arm computer. Old drivers were the same, anyone have that happen before?

Happy flying!

X52