Battlefield Bad Company 2

diveplane

Ok yeah, it does what it advertises... but that doesn't make it amazing; it just makes it another generic FPS.

Yeah, dragon rising was disappointing... but honestly, the coop multiplayer was the best feature of the game. It was totally enjoyable in that mode and a bit tedious in single player (i never bothered with any other MP modes).

I guess i just don't get the excitement anymore. I even pre-ordered MW2, so i'm not a FPS or COD or whatever hater... it's just how many variations on a theme can you have?

That's what it boils down too for me; i simply can't understand the overwhelming excitement for something you've basically seen several times before.

Yeah, I know what you mean actually. I personally am not excited for Bad Company 2, but it looks (and the demo) is entertaining enough that I could have some fun with it. You can say the same thing about hollywood movies though. Romantic Comedies in particular. More of the same with a little twist.

It's not a pre-order or a buy on a first day thing, I've got FSX Superbug launching that I would like to concentrate on ;). F.C 2.0 is somewhere around the corner as well. :)

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Call of Duty has become incredibly formulaic and they have gotten really good at sticking to that formula. The single player is a severely scripted and you are generally forced down a specific path the entire game. I would guesstimate that over 90% of the weapon fire you see in the single player game can't actually kill you as its there for background clutter to give that "war" feeling. Multiplayer looks to be about the same as counter-strike but with more explosions and more random ways to die.

Battlefield on the other hand has been a multi-player game from the start, where the action you saw relied pretty much entirely of player actions. You get a much greater "team" feeling on battlefield than COD. Yes it is something we have seen before, countless modern era FPS games and Battlefield 2 set the bar for what the game should accomplish and be like, but it is still unique and different enough that it warrants its own game. I've always liked Battlefield games, and I hope they do stick with the WW2 to Modern Day games, but BF 2142 was really really stupid.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

I have been a Battlefield player since 1942 some things I like and hate so far on this beta:

Hate

-----

1) No commander- but certain classes have been given unlocks that are similar to what the old commander could do.

2) Not sure if it only applies to what were being shown in this limited beta but the map is WAY smaller than say a BF2 map you are basically funneled through the map. I hate this style of gameplay reminds too much of Modern warfare run n gun garbage.

3) Recon is too overpowered: I'm already seeing people macro tossing 4 or 5 C4's onto the box and explode it in a split second. It was somewhat fair in 2142 with only 1 way in but with a destructable environement more times then not the box will just be sitting in the open for a suicide bomber.

4) Teamkilling assets (specifically the boxes): Yeah you should have to check fire and not destroy the building you need to protect but if someone wants to ruin everyones game all they do is make a recon and blow up your own assets. It's an instant loss and makes it too easy for someone to pad their friends stats.

5) The awards and ribbons seem to be dummied down

6) Sometimes feels like the game has regressed, feels x-boxy.

7) Where the heck is the prone position....another thing that makes it feel like xbox....alll the had to do was put a timer or slow the animation to keep people from dolphin diving....but eliminating it completely really angers me...

-----

1) Destructable environment: Guy hiding behind a walll, blow up the wall

2) Decent Physics

3) Good overall graphics

4) Good overall gameplay. It's still a Battlefield game.....well mostly.

5) Vehicles are fun- I just hope there are more on different modes/maps like the older games

Edited by Slayer

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

Intel I7-3930K, Asrock EXTREME9, EVGA TITAN, Mushkin Chronos SSD, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z series 2133, TM Warthog and MFD's, Saitek Proflight Combat pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO, Windows 7 x64, 3-Asus VS2248H-P monitors, Thermaltake Level 10 GT, Obutto cockpit

... i actually liked 2142! It was a bit different at the time and fun.

In any case, bad company 2 can't be any worse than MW2, so that's a win.

AMD Phenom II 965 BE @ 3.8GHz, 8GB OCZ AMD BE RAM, ATI HD5970 2GB XFX BE @ 875/1215, TM HOTAS Cougar, TM Cougar MFDs, TrackIR 5, CH MFP, GoFlight Switch Panel, iMo Mini-Monster Touch, Mimo 720S, Saitek Pro Flight Headset

The thing about 2142 for me was it felt like a good mod for Battlefield 2. Nothing more, nothing less.

Hate

7) Where the heck is the prone position....another thing that makes it feel like xbox....alll the had to do was put a timer or slow the animation to keep people from dolphin diving....but eliminating it completely really angers me...

Couldn't agree more. At least they could add a toggle crouch ability. Its not my fault I want to keep low to try and stay alive. The awards and points system is currently more distracting than anything else. Its great to know how many points you get for a task, but showing the points on screen the moment you kill someone kinda takes the fun out of it. Also having a giant gun appear on your screen whenever you unlock one pretty much blocks half your screen.

Hate

-----

1) No commander- but certain classes have been given unlocks that are similar to what the old commander could do.

As a long time BF2-player in tournaments and just for fun, I got to say, that I don't miss it, a) because few people ever cared about orders or communication with commanders, b) few player used the commander-abilities as they were supposed to do. Cartrillery for example was much more favorable than actually looking who was needing a car to get another flag fast.

Besides that, BC2 includes all of the features, including a UAV. It's just that you have to control the UAV and report enemies yourself, now, and that it is realistically fit with a hellfire as primary weapon.

2) Not sure if it only applies to what were being shown in this limited beta but the map is WAY smaller than say a BF2 map you are basically funneled through the map. I hate this style of gameplay reminds too much of Modern warfare run n gun garbage.

The beta only shows the new Rush-Mode, which is what you describe. Such a mode is not new, btw. DesertCombat for BF1942 already introduced such a mapmode with a later version. This simply does not compare to BF2's conquest mode, as it has a completely different setting.

AFAIK those modes will be included in BF:BC2: Rush, Conquest, Squad Rush and Squad Deathmatch.

3) Recon is too overpowered: I'm already seeing people macro tossing 4 or 5 C4's onto the box and explode it in a split second. It was somewhat fair in 2142 with only 1 way in but with a destructable environement more times then not the box will just be sitting in the open for a suicide bomber.

EA already noted that tossing C4 will be reduced and objects (especially objectives) will require at least double the C4 load to be destroyed.

4) Teamkilling assets (specifically the boxes): Yeah you should have to check fire and not destroy the building you need to protect but if someone wants to ruin everyones game all they do is make a recon and blow up your own assets. It's an instant loss and makes it too easy for someone to pad their friends stats.

This is just a serversetting and it's just disabled for the beta-servers. You're free to enable FF in the full version. You can check what can be changed in settings while the map loads - it shows all variables for the server on the left side.

True. They ARE just dummies. It's a 4 month old beta.

In BF2 prone position was mostly used for those people, who jumped 3m high with a 12kg MG, layed down in mid-air and fired with the prone-accuracy while still flying. They could not resolve it, so I'm okay with just leaving it out completely.

Besides that, BC2 has a much more fluid gameplay and a limited number of players. It rather represents a SDM (SquadDesignatedMarksmen) instead of "Snipers" in the conventional meaning.

Well, not long and we'll see what the full version will be like and what things they fixed and tuned from the beta. It's said the list of changes due to feedback and experience with the beta is very long.

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

Bad Company never had prone.

Everyone needs to remember that BFBC2 IS a console game ported directly to PC. Only changes were to the GUI and netcode. The gameitself is the same on PC as it is on PS3 and XBox. That's why it feels x-boxy as Slayer put it.

I played it on a buddies PC and I'm not gonna get it.

I didn't get BF2 becuase EA had what was left of DICE dumb down too much of the game due to forum whiners who said "newcomers to BF42 have too much to learn." In comparison to BF42 and pre v1.2 BF:V, everything was dumbed down in BF2. That's why Frank Delise and several others left before BF2 was even in Alpha stage.

BC2 is no different. The game itself has almost no learning curve. Get in, grab a gun, and start killing. It's a stat-centric frag game. That's not a bad thing though, the market needs those. I just wish one of these FPS companies would have the balls to put the teamwork requirements back into an FPS.

The older folks will remember early BF42, Tribes 1 & 2, and other games from that era. There were roles that needed to be filled where those filling those roles may not see that much action or die more than they kill. Without those roles though, they match would be lost.

Thing is, people didn't mind filling those roles. It was, afterall, teamwork.

In BF2 prone position was mostly used for those people, who jumped 3m high with a 12kg MG, layed down in mid-air and fired with the prone-accuracy while still flying. They could not resolve it, so I'm okay with just leaving it out completely.

Besides that, BC2 has a much more fluid gameplay and a limited number of players. It rather represents a SDM (SquadDesignatedMarksmen) instead of "Snipers" in the conventional meaning.

WTH? How is that that they can`t resolve that? How difficult can it be to take out prone position command while in air? :huh: That`s the first time I hear about prone missing from this game - big disappointment :mad: In all the battlefield games that I have played I have been using mainly the scout/sniper class and the prone position has always been invaluable. The guy/guys that decided to leave it out of the game deserves to be shot with a Barrett .50 cal. Prone is sniper`s second best friend after his rifle.

Edited by topol-m

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

WTH? How is that that they can`t resolve that? How difficult can it be to take out prone position command while in air? :huh: That`s the first time I hear about prone missing from this game - big disappointment :mad: In all the battlefield games that I have played I have been using mainly the scout/sniper class and the prone position has always been invaluable. The guy/guys that decided to leave it out of the game deserves to be shot with a Barrett 50. cal. Prone is sniper`s second best friend after his rifle.

My favorite role in all BF-episodes was and is sniping - to be more exact: Countersniping. And to my experience, people using the prone position excessively are usually the typical campers - easy prey, as opposed to the experienced sniper, who rarely even fires a whole mag from just one single spot.

Invaluable? Hardly. Many shooters, even tactical shooters don't even have prone position others have neither prone nor jumping, because soldiers rarely use them in the given limited scale scenarios. To be honest, I'd rather refer dropping prone-position and instead have realistic sniper-rifles, especially Cal.50s that lives to it's real counterpart and doesn't have a maximum efficient range of 150m....

Why this couldn't be eliminated was probably because it was a design-problem that was in since the original BF1942. It's the basic structure of how hitboxes are calculated in BF: Half way on the servers, half way on the client. You probably know the old trick to increase weapons efficiency by decreasing the precalculation-limit. In the same INI you can alter input-values and pause-time between keystrokes - an unprotected file!

Most likely all casual BF-titles won't have prone included. An exception may be BF3, but that's pure speculation and I wouldn't bet on it.

Edited by Feuerfalke

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

WTH? How is that that they can`t resolve that? How difficult can it be to take out prone position command while in air? :huh: That`s the first time I hear about prone missing from this game - big disappointment :mad: In all the battlefield games that I have played I have been using mainly the scout/sniper class and the prone position has always been invaluable. The guy/guys that decided to leave it out of the game deserves to be shot with a Barrett .50 cal. Prone is sniper`s second best friend after his rifle.

They did solve it for BF2 actually. Dolphin-diving doesn't work anymore.

The FACT that they don't add it to BFBC2 is because it slows gameplay down. People camp, and action goes down the drain. Which is a decision I agree with, it keeps people on the move. This game isn't made to be realistic after all. You could try ArmA 2 for that.

Here's the explanation from a DICE dev, which is more or less the paragraph above. This is for the consoles, but perhaps PC version encountered the same problems eventually:

Alright Sulla, here is a discussion on the issue from DICE's viewpoint on a range of topics.

DICE feels that because the console versions of the game is at such a lower resolution (1280x720), compared to PC resolutions (as high as 2560x1600), that prone was breaking the fast paced action of the game and that it was too camper friendly. When DICE played with prone on consoles other players were nearly impossible to see while prone (until it was too late), and the matches often resulted in a camping festival between the defending team and the attacking team, complete with smores and campfire songs. The overall atmosphere felt slow, and the game wasn’t at its full fast-paced potential. When DICE played the matches with the prone turned off, it forced camping players to put more thought into their hiding spots, and it gave the attackers less of a disadvantage being able to see who was shooting at them and resulted in more fast paced gameplay. People like yourself can go on and on about how in real life prone is the most important battle stance in a firefight, but obviously this isn’t real life, and you should play ARMA2 or something if you really want it, or purchase the PC version .

Edited by Erdem

They did solve it for BF2 actually. Dolphin-diving doesn't work anymore.

Oh, yes it does ;) - not the complete dolphin jump (jump from prone position, fly and land in prone position) but laying down while jumping is still possible.

I still play BF2 on a weekly basis in my team and dolphin jumping is a common sight and as I posted above, the obstacles can be easily overcome.

Edited by Feuerfalke

I think its more of a result of how BF has evolved. Throughout the series the urban "meat grinder" style maps were almost always the most fun. They were so popular many servers went 24/7 for those map. BF2 saw the same thing... infantry only server setting... Strike at Karkand and the other urban maps probably hosted half of the total BF2 matches played. The game is much more infantry-centric, focused on furious war of attrition, and less on the machines of war. BC2 is the peak of this evolution. The common soldier is a force to be reckoned with. In the beta map there is 1 MBT, 1 APC, and 1 UAV for attackers, for defenders you have 1 APC, 1 Attack Chopper, and 1 Transport chopper. Vehicles are no longer the focus, infantry are.

There was a great BF1942 advertisement in magazines that I can't find online... it was a giant circle, with pictures of the different vehicles in game that were designed to combat each other. Somewhere on it was a submarine which could be destroyed by a torpedo plane, which could be destroyed by a fighter aircraft, which could be shot down by flak, which could be destroyed by a tank..... and so on and so forth eventually coming to a ship which could be sunk by the sub. The point is, the game has changed and evolved over the years. When it came out vehicle combat was its big selling point. It just wasn't a few tanks, it had everything. Oh times have changed.

looks like the game servers are down atm for maintance.

Maybe another server-update?

I have been a Battlefield player since 1942 some things I like and hate so far on this beta:

Hate

-----

-----

1) Destructable environment: Guy hiding behind a walll, blow up the wall

2) Decent Physics

3) Good overall graphics

4) Good overall gameplay. It's still a Battlefield game.....well mostly.

5) Vehicles are fun- I just hope there are more on different modes/maps like the older games

According to Dice, the prone was removed because of the engine, not to stop dolphin divers. And to be honest, I really do not miss it. Ther are times It would be handy, but not a must have.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

According to Dice, the prone was removed because of the engine, not to stop dolphin divers.

What's the difference? ;)

As I posted before, they couldn't stop it with the used code, so they removed the option to go prone. It worked for BC1 and it will for BC2 and if the code will not change largely toward BF3, I guess they'll abandon prone in BF3 as well.

Oh well, we will be sitting ducks... I hope they don`t take out also the crouch command because people tend to camp to much... :doh:

Something else, does anyone know if the tanks have HE and AP rounds and can you chose between them? I don`t like it when I have to make body shots with the tank in order to take out infantry (a la shit.y CoD: WaW).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The thing about 2142 for me was it felt like a good mod for Battlefield 2. Nothing more, nothing less.

Agreed

Although a very good mod. I had a lot of fun playing that... i probably would still play it if there were servers around. I didn't think i'd like the future stuff, but it was damn fun with the flying and those ejection pods to the ground... plus the mechs!

:music_whistling:

AMD Phenom II 965 BE @ 3.8GHz, 8GB OCZ AMD BE RAM, ATI HD5970 2GB XFX BE @ 875/1215, TM HOTAS Cougar, TM Cougar MFDs, TrackIR 5, CH MFP, GoFlight Switch Panel, iMo Mini-Monster Touch, Mimo 720S, Saitek Pro Flight Headset

topol, the tanks only have 1 type of main cannon ammo, and I am honestly not sure if its HE or AP. There is a 2nd player slot in them that basically takes the commander position and gives control of a machine gun. I think there is also supposed to be an unlock to give a coaxial MG to the driver.

Oh well, we will be sitting ducks... I hope they don`t take out also the crouch command because people tend to camp to much... :doh:

Something else, does anyone know if the tanks have HE and AP rounds and can you chose between them? I don`t like it when I have to make body shots with the tank in order to take out infantry (a la shit.y CoD: WaW).

no place to hide full destruction ..muhahaha

topol, the tanks only have 1 type of main cannon ammo, and I am honestly not sure if its HE or AP. There is a 2nd player slot in them that basically takes the commander position and gives control of a machine gun. I think there is also supposed to be an unlock to give a coaxial MG to the driver.

Thanks for the info. It probably is a virtual HE-AP hybrid which allows you to blow up tanks and people :P And the coaxial is a must have.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

topol, the tanks only have 1 type of main cannon ammo, and I am honestly not sure if its HE or AP

neither, but the one that goes BOOM!!!! in AAA game effects :) In Battlefield Bad Company 2 I mean.

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer