y2kiah's A-10C cockpit build

y2kiah

Wow! That was a lot of reading. I read from the first post all the way through to the current one. This is some amazing work y2kiah! Are there any plans to release the files for the left and right side control panels, soon? Like what Reactorone did, with each of the panels broken up into three parts. I want to start on some of the side panels but I know that Reactorone's design wouldn't work with your sim.

Hey sorry for my absence, I haven't had much time lately to think about the pit. I'll get the .dxf file updated before the weekend, and post a pic of the assembly. I'm also planning to release the front panel next, as soon as I can get around to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Assembly Required

Does anyone have any pictures of the assembly of their y2kiah pit? I have a few small pieces of wood for the right side console and I'm not sure where they attach.

Also, what is the preferred assmbly method - screws or gluing (or both)?

Thanks,

John

• 2 weeks later...

Y2kiah

I'm holding off on cutting the left console on the CNC because i don't understand the cautions about the throttle section and the cutting adjustments that need to be made. Any chance you could update the dxf? I've got most of next month as vacation time and would love to do more work on the A10 build.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering what is the best way to make the black panel faces with white text.

Has anyone tried gluing 1/32" black sheet over a thicker white sheet, then etched out the text through the black layer to expose the white underneath? Then clear coat it.

I have not read all 50+ posts on this thread, so I apologize if it has been discussed already. Thanks

I was wondering what is the best way to make the black panel faces with white text.

Has anyone tried gluing 1/32" black sheet over a thicker white sheet, then etched out the text through the black layer to expose the white underneath? Then clear coat it.

I have not read all 50+ posts on this thread, so I apologize if it has been discussed already. Thanks

Take a look at something like Rowmark LaserMax. It's 2 layer acrylic. No need to glue.

http://www.rowmark.com/laser/LaserMAX/lasermaxspecs.asp

Take a look at something like Rowmark LaserMax. It's 2 layer acrylic. No need to glue.

http://www.rowmark.com/laser/LaserMAX/lasermaxspecs.asp

The LaserMax material is only 1/16th of an inch thick and can have a tendency to bow if you don't affix it to a more substantial substrate. I normally glue it to a 1/8th to 3/16th inch piece of acrylic. My current methodology is glueing the LaserMax on top of a 3/16th clear acrylic light plate and then spray painting the back and sides of this assembly white then black. This creates a very nice light box which gives some pretty good and even backlighting through the LaserMax engraving.

I saw that Oakes mentioned using a Black on White sheet called Gravoply. I noticed they now have a Black on 'translucent' white which might be a good solution for backlighting the material.

http://www.professionalplastics.com/GRAVOPLY1ENGRAVINGSTOCK

The LaserMax backlights quite well actually (see my build thread for examples). The beauty of the LaserMax material is the very good contrast between black and white, as well as it's very good scratch resistance. This makes the panels very readable in all lighting conditions (aside from total dark) even with the backlight off. The more transmissive the white the less the contrast will be when the lights behind the panel are dark. It will be easier to backlight taking less LED's or lamps but will probably look a little dingy when not lit. I have not tried the Gravpoly so it may work fine, I would recommend trying both translucent and solid whites before committing though.

I would like to make the CDU but I don't know how the buttons are made. Can anyone point me to a thread or site with info on making them?

I've seen pitbldr's UFC and I would buy one from him, but it looks like he is too busy with other things to produce anything for sale.

It would also be more fun to make it myself.

I would like to make the CDU but I don't know how the buttons are made. Can anyone point me to a thread or site with info on making them?

I've seen pitbldr's UFC and I would buy one from him, but it looks like he is too busy with other things to produce anything for sale.

It would also be more fun to make it myself.

The Korry Esterline website has some product literature with cut away illustrations that may help. Not the best, but perhaps of some use to you.

http://www.esterline.com/controlsystems/KORRY/CockpitControls/Panels.aspx

crankshaft,

If you are looking for DIY type buttons then attached an example of the ones I have tried to make. I won't the standard of pitbldr's but does work. Basically it is a 6mm plexiglass plate painted gray and then engraved and milled using a cnc machine. Underneath the button a tactile push button have been mounted.

Just a simple suggestion :smilewink:

414574467_CDUbuttons.jpg.c79abb284bbd97fe4ca94b4e3e33509d.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

This is an exciting project. It's been a while since I read through the whole thread, so I hope you'll all forgive this possibly already answered question, but y2kiah, for button and switch panels, do you have a specific place that you've gone to to get them made? Have you thought about coordinating with someone who makes panels to create a "Y2KIAH Pit Approved Official Awesome Compatible" set of panels? I'm very likely to start a pit build of my own, in the near future, and it would be great to have the two most complicated chunks of work basically already done and available off the shelf.

Trax

If you disapprove of this post, please feel free to give me negative rep. If you approve of this post, please feel free to give me negative rep.

Project

y2kiah

We haven't heard from you in a while - hope all is well. We miss the posts of your awesome A10 pit project and designs...

Hey sorry for my absence, I haven't had much time lately to think about the pit. I'll get the .dxf file updated before the weekend, and post a pic of the assembly. I'm also planning to release the front panel next, as soon as I can get around to it.

HELP!

Have finally taken the plunge and decided to build but come to my first stumbling block. I've sent off the .dxf files to my workshops (thanks y2kiah) with the instructions as posted 4x8 ply etc, and have got this reply "Your drawings have come in really small. We are able to scale them back up but require a reference to scale them up to. So are you able to put a boarder of 2440 x 1220mm around each drawing or give us overall dimensions of a piece for reference?"

Does anybody know what they are asking for. I'm an old school armourer who uses hammers and crowbars, and this computer design thing is beyond me. Can anyone help please.