New sound engine question or two.

....would be great if we all post our sound related hardware!

I mean, an onboard soundchip and a weak 2.1 will bring a quiet different immersion to you, then a dedicated soundcard with a upmarket headset.

Thats extrem important especially when tweaking the lowpass setting and to compare our different settings......

Just my thoughts ;)

Greets

S@uDepp

// Hasi @4,5 GHz @ H100i // Asrock Z87M Extreme 4 // Avirex 4x4GB // PALIT 1070 GTX SuperJetStream // Corsair 350D // Plextor extern // DELL 2407WFP // Razer Lancehead // 2xThrustmaster T.16000M + Saitek Pedals Pro // Oculus Rift // 3x amBX // Win10 Pro x64

• 1 month later...
....would be great if we all post our sound related hardware!

I mean, an onboard soundchip and a weak 2.1 will bring a quiet different immersion to you, then a dedicated soundcard with a upmarket headset.

Thats extrem important especially when tweaking the lowpass setting and to compare our different settings......

Just my thoughts ;)

Greets

S@uDepp

------------------------------------------

I'm not so sure dude- I thought I just read in here somewhere that since they implemented 1.0.2. the sound is all coded as software, to run on CPU's Core2 or something like that [if you have a dual or above CPU], therefore, that sounds to me like its now bypassing all our soundcards! :( I'd agree what's important is what's pumping out the sound, in my situation i'm blessed with the sweet sennheiser PC 350's...compliments of my wifey. :music_walkman:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Coolermaster Sniper CM Storm Case-i7 920 OC 3.74ghz-Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 heatsink/fans-ASUS P6T Deluxe V2-Corsair 850W PWR-OCZ Platinum 6GB DDR3 1600 lat.7-7-7-24-WD 300Gb 'Raptor drive-Seagate 750Gb-MSI NX8800GTS 512Mb OC (G92)-Creative X-fi titanium-TrackIR5 Pro-MS FF2 Sidewinder [Oldie but goody] :thumbup:

I'm not so sure dude- I thought I just read in here somewhere that since they implemented 1.0.2. the sound is all coded as software, to run on CPU's Core2 or something like that [if you have a dual or above CPU], therefore, that sounds to me like its now bypassing all our soundcards! :( I'd agree what's important is what's pumping out the sound, in my situation i'm blessed with the sweet sennheiser PC 350's...compliments of my wifey. :music_walkman:
I suspect that's completly wrong, but someone more knowledgeable should give us a better explanation.

I suspect that's completly wrong, but someone more knowledgeable should give us a better explanation.

The CPU handles all of the sound processing now, calculating Doppler shift, speed of sound, ect, which is then sent to the sound card to output. The reason for the CPU doing this job is compatibility, there is no need to support specific API's just for sound processing, as it is all done in software now.

Nate

• ED Team
its now bypassing all our soundcards!

Yep. It streams the sound to player's primary auditory cortex via resonance modulation of parietal lobe by precomputed pixel patterns.

In the other news, Nate--IRL--'s answer nailed it.

Edited by c0ff

Dmitry S. Baikov @ Eagle Dynamics

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.

I know I used to jump when I was shot by anything. I am trying to think if I jump anymore when shot. Is this something I can turn up? From all reports I read on the net, getting shot is very loud even with headphones on. I have not messed with the sound config at all yet. Do you edit the files the same as the other config.ini files? Open in notepad and edit and save?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Aaron

i7 2600k@4.4ghz, GTX1060-6gb, 16gb DDR3, T16000m, Track IR5

BS2-A10C-UH1-FC3-M2000-F18C-A4E-F14B-BF109

:blink:well...OUCH mr. average pilot! I guess my only-10-posting/less-knowledgeable self should just keep doing what i'm doing...reading the ED comments!

Thanks Nate for explaining that better.

*Less posts do not equal less knowledge*-one might come to the opposite conclusion!

btw- i suspect your spelling of completly is completely wrong. lol

~sorry couldn't resist.:gun_sniper:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Coolermaster Sniper CM Storm Case-i7 920 OC 3.74ghz-Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 heatsink/fans-ASUS P6T Deluxe V2-Corsair 850W PWR-OCZ Platinum 6GB DDR3 1600 lat.7-7-7-24-WD 300Gb 'Raptor drive-Seagate 750Gb-MSI NX8800GTS 512Mb OC (G92)-Creative X-fi titanium-TrackIR5 Pro-MS FF2 Sidewinder [Oldie but goody] :thumbup:

I know I used to jump when I was shot by anything. I am trying to think if I jump anymore when shot. Is this something I can turn up? From all reports I read on the net, getting shot is very loud even with headphones on. I have not messed with the sound config at all yet. Do you edit the files the same as the other config.ini files? Open in notepad and edit and save?

I know how you feel... I REALLY miss the sounds of the bullet hits/ricochet and it's just no more... I've adjusted these two files with small success:

Sounds/sdef/bullethit.sdef & bulletricochet.sdef

with the values as such:

inner_radius = 1

outer_radius = 500

The hits are more audible but the sounds are not like the wav files (bullethit&bulletricochet) when played on their own.. Seems like a totally different wav or ogg file is being used now.. Adjusting or canceling the low-pass filter (set to 24000 in autoexec.cfg) with the above mods don't help either... :cry:

From the books i've read regarding Helo combat a bullet strike should sound like someone beating a hammer on the airframe..

:blink:well...OUCH mr. average pilot! I guess my only-10-posting/less-knowledgeable self should just keep doing what i'm doing...reading the ED comments!

Thanks Nate for explaining that better.

*Less posts do not equal less knowledge*-one might come to the opposite conclusion!

btw- i suspect your spelling of completly is completely wrong. lol

~sorry couldn't resist.:gun_sniper:

:thumbup:

Oh, by the way, I was refering to myself with all that stuff about "someone more knowledgeable". Sorry for the confussion... yet another one.

Edited by average_pilot

:thumbup:

Oh, by the way, I was refering to myself with all that stuff about "someone more knowledgeable". Sorry for the confussion... yet another one.

Tis' all good Sir' -Just being punchy that's all!

Game on!

cheers

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]