Full screen or Window mode: different shimmering

Lange_666

After upgrading to a larger monitor (24" 1920x1200), i noticed that my system has problems running everything decent at this resolution. It's quite OK when there is not much going on but multiplayer on a server with maxed out settings produces stutters.

The solution is to reduce the resolution to either 1440x900 or 1280x800. In windowed mode all is fine and shimmering is under control but when i force the game to full screen on either 1440x900 or 1280x800, shimmering pops up (fulls creen 1920x1200 is fine though).

Somebody any idea on why this happens?

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Maybe just block FPS above example 35 and you won't notice any shuttering....

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

I run on a 27" 1920 x 1080 and have almost all settungs to full (just did the water fix) and all works fine. What graphics card and CPU do you have?

EDIT: The shimmering can have something to do with your settings for Anti-Aliasing. Mine is default at 8X.

Edited by HiJack

Vsync shimmering? Or cloud over mountain shimmering?

From my recollection:

- Vsync can be managed by either enabling it or disabling it.

- Possibly tuning the MaxFPS parameter will reduce some of the stutter for you. .\Config\graphics.lua.

See Frazers tweaking guide word-doc p.8

MaxFPS = 0;

It would be good to put MaxFPS at your average FPS in game. This to prevent your PC running on its maximum at all time. Note: Keep this option at 0 (unlimited) during FPS tweaking.

I have set 45 FPS as the maximum which is more than enough for smooth gaming

- There's a anti cloud-shimmer mod somewhere. Unable to find it right now.

Other similar threads with shimmer:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=55781

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

I run on a 27" 1920 x 1080 and have almost all settungs to full (just did the water fix) and all works fine. What graphics card and CPU do you have?

EDIT: The shimmering can have something to do with your settings for Anti-Aliasing. Mine is default at 8X.

System: An older Intel E6600 dual core and GForce 8800 GT (640MB) running WIndows 7 with 4GB Ram (been on the look-out for an upgrade though, or better, en entirely new self build system).

It not the stutter i'm worried about but the shimmering in full screen on resolutions lower then the monitor's native res. When i run these lower resolutions in windowed mode, the shimmering is almost gone and the same as with 1920x1200 native full screen, which is more than acceptable.

So it's only those lower than native resolutions which give me the problem on full screen and i wonder why.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Vsync shimmering? Or cloud over mountain shimmering?

From my recollection:

- Vsync can be managed by either enabling it or disabling it.

- Possibly tuning the MaxFPS parameter will reduce some of the stutter for you. .\Config\graphics.lua.

See Frazers tweaking guide word-doc p.8

- There's a anti cloud-shimmer mod somewhere. Unable to find it right now.

Other similar threads with shimmer:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=55781

VSync shimmering although turning VSync on or off doesn't make a difference. The cloud over mountain shimmering i got covered with the anti-cloud mod...

I also follewed Frazer Tweaking guide which didn't help because my setting are almost identical (and i use the latest drivers which give some changes to some of the settings or options).

Perhaps you can post a screenshot to illustrate where the shimmer occurs.

Clearly vissible in the cockpit around gauges etc... it's always there, even on full res 1920x1200 with all nVidia settings maxed out (tried about every possible setup) but on those lower resolutions, it's like the nVidia settings on the nVidia control panel don't do anything at all compared to the native resolution. In Lock FC 1.2, everything works fine, in FC2.0 it does not for some reason.

If i only could find out why the nVidia Control Panel works just fine on max native resolution and not on the lower resolutions (full screen that is)...

One thing i justed noted on a new test is that there is no shimmering whatsoever when TrackIR is not active. Now i used some nVidia Control setting on the trackir.exe to prevent it from shimmering when i work within the trackir program. Maybe both collide a bit when both are active... need to do some more testing...

cloud shadow bug is known , few work arounds to get rid of it if you search the forums, other than that dcs blackshark flaming cliffs 2 looks and runs great on my screens, no problems here using track ir.

i use window mode to get dcs blackshark and fc2 to work across x2 monitors, via win 7 .

Edited by diveplane