Custom Snap Views for Radio etc

Is it possible in the SnapViews.lua file to make the snap view a combination key (e.g. LSHF+Keypad 2) so that I could use the Keypad keys as UFC keys or is the file only able to use the Keypad numbers for the snap view? TIA for any answers.

The SnapView toggle keys set in game options can be set to anything but they require the keys to be held down to utilize the view and then you lose the ability to enter other keystrokes if you are looking at the CDU for example.

you can press rctl+0, then use keypad numbers to effect snap views that stick. rctl+0 yo go back to normal.

I want to do that (RCTRL+Numpad 0)... but have the second key press be something other than the Numpad (such as LSHF+Numpad 1) so that I can map the Numpad to the UFC keypad. For example, it would be RCTRL+Keypad 0 to go into the panel view and then LSHF+Keypad 2 to get the Snap View.

I think I would need to edit the SnapViews.lua file to make this work but it doesn't look like that file can take any other key stroke other than the Numpad for input.

In options, views (IIRC), there are keypad numbers bound to views. You can change assignments there. I bound those to DX buttons to use along with a modifier so as to use on my stick

That's one way to go but only works if the Numpad (or DX button) is held down continuously. I was looking for a way to get the snap view to work with a single keypress (using RCTRL+Numpad 0) first while not using a Numpad key for my second keypress.

Does changing the snapviews lead to "integrity check failed" message?

I haven't played on an MP server with integrity check turned on recently but on one ocassion a few weeks ago, I did get the "failed" message which was probably due to the snap view changes (in fairness though I have been changing other views as well so I don't know if it was the snap view changes that caused the problem). In addition, on some MP servers the snap views revert to defaults so perhaps there is a way for the server to enforce the default and not allow custom snap views while allowing the client to pass the integrity check.

Hi Guys,

I have been reading here and wondering : do you have the ability to save snapviews in BETA 3 ? I dont seem to be able? Can someone explain, please.

thanks

JEFX

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In DCS I fly jets with thousands of pounds of thrust...

In real life I fly a humble Cessna Hawx XP II with 210 HP :D

That's one way to go but only works if the Numpad (or DX button) is held down continuously. I was looking for a way to get the snap view to work with a single keypress (using RCTRL+Numpad 0) first while not using a Numpad key for my second keypress.

I'm not at my machine, but through options I have it so that rctl is pressed once, then any one of three dx buttons is pressed once for three different snap views that 'stick.' I don't know if that's what your looking for.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Guys,

I have been reading here and wondering : do you have the ability to save snapviews in BETA 3 ? I dont seem to be able? Can someone explain, please.

thanks

JEFX

I have them working in Beta 3. Go back to the start of this thread and follow BoredTechie's directions. If still not working, please post specific problems/questions here.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to add a note regarding my experience doing this in Beta4. Even after setting UseDefaultSnapViews = false in View.lua and copying the config lines in the OP into SnapViews.lua, DCS seemed to not use these settings (perhaps because I also had EnableSnapViewSaving=true in View.lua?). What I had to do was set UseDefaultSnapViews = true and then copy the OP lines into SnapViewDefaults.lua, and then everything worked perfectly. Only thing I had to change was the viewangle parameter (65 degrees on the MFDs), as I run a 4630x1080 triple-screen SoftTH config.

• 1 month later...

y_trans and minor changes

hi boredtechie,

thanks much for these details. works perfectly fine with final release version. but i do have problems to slightly change e.g. HUD view as input from keyboard cannot be seen in the HUD; view is "too low". so i tried to change y_trans (according to your information). but there seems to be no up and down possible; 0 is too low; 2 is too high; and between 0 and 2 view does not change.

any idea what went wrong?

many thanks

desmo

y_trans up(+) and down (-)

z_trans right(+) and left (-)

x_trans back(+) and forward(-)

unquote

• 7 months later...

When I start up the sim, it starts me in Pause mode but when I unPause, the view zooms out slowly then stops. Pressing KP5 or KP Enter resets the view to somewhat a bit closer. Does anyone know which entries on the .lua file corresponds to KP5 or KP Enter? I want to reset it so that these buttons give me a wider FOV than they currently show.

In fact, maybe KP5 can be a guns-HUD view (zoomed in a lot) then KP Enter could be a wide-FOV view (zoomed out a bit).

- Ice

There are two snap view files in this folder.

C:\Games\DCS A-10C\Config\View

The file called SnapViews.lua is the custom views file while the other is, obviously the default.

If you want to make changes you can do it in the SnapViews.lua but you must activate it by editing the file View.lua.

Change line 42 from

UseDefaultSnapViews = true

to

UseDefaultSnapViews = false

EDIT: The section of the SnapViews.lua that you are interested in starts at line 947

Snap[11] = {}

Snap[11][1] = {}

Snap[11][1]["y_trans"] = 0

Snap[11][1]["x_trans"] = 0

Snap[11][1]["z_trans"] = 0

Snap[11][1]["vAngle"] = -26

Snap[11][1]["rollAngle"] = 0

Snap[11][1]["viewAngle"] = 65

Snap[11][1]["hAngle"] = 0

Snap[11][2] = {}

Snap[11][2]["y_trans"] = -0.26303433494845

Snap[11][2]["x_trans"] = 0.32762247014528

Where 11 identifies your aircraft and the number in the second pair of brackests is the KP number.

Manually editting this file is a bit of a pain but the views can be adjusted this way. That's how I set mine up many months ago.

EDIT AGAIN: You might want to look at this thread:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=68815&highlight=snap+views

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Yes, I've configured my snap views to what I want it to be. I'm asking about the non-snap view KP5 and KP Enter.

For instance, you start up the game and it gives you a default, non-snap (TIR working) view. But you decide that the view would be better if you'd zoom out a bit more, so you do fiddle with the zoom until you find one you like. How do you save this view so that you can get back to it later on, or even days later? Just as you can save your snap views, is there a way to save this non-snap view?

- Ice

Sorry for the long post down the wrong road.

The KP5 view is defined in the SnapViews file. I never tried to change it, I don't think, but it might change the orientation of the primary view.

KP Enter on the other hand in should just be reseting the FOV angle but I am not sure where the default for that is set.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Yes, I've configured my snap views to what I want it to be. I'm asking about the non-snap view KP5 and KP Enter.

For instance, you start up the game and it gives you a default, non-snap (TIR working) view. But you decide that the view would be better if you'd zoom out a bit more, so you do fiddle with the zoom until you find one you like. How do you save this view so that you can get back to it later on, or even days later? Just as you can save your snap views, is there a way to save this non-snap view?

This are the parameters you have to edit and what they are doing:

You have to edit the FOV("viewAngle") to change the default zoom level at start-up.

DCS root>\Config\View\SnapViewsDefault.lua

Snap[11][13] = {} -- Tweaked cockpit view
Snap[11][13]["y_trans"] = -0.02    -- default: -0.041336805555555564 (Up/Down)
Snap[11][13]["x_trans"] = 0.27 -- default: 0.36 (Forward/Backward)
Snap[11][13]["hAngle"] = 0 -- default: 0 (Tilt Left/Right)
Snap[11][13]["viewAngle"] = 75.0  -- default: 75.0 (FOV)
Snap[11][13]["vAngle"] = -21 -- default: -23 (Tilt Up/Down) 
Snap[11][13]["rollAngle"] = 0  -- default: 0  (Roll Left/Right)
Snap[11][13]["z_trans"] = 0  -- default: 0  (Left/Right)

Maybe this is what you are searching for:

http://files.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/38574/

Edited by PeterP

Ooooo.... looks like viewAngle (FOV) is what I want to be playing around with. Any recommendations for a single-montior setup (1920x1080 res)? I'm thinking of playing with 80-90 to start with and see how that works.

- Ice

• ED Team

I am having a problem with my snap views in multiplayer, sometimes during multiplayer it defaults back to the original snap views.

any help or pointers apreciated

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 1 month later...

Hey tried the snap views with TIR5 but it isnt working like its supposed to. I press ctrl+0 to lock it to the 5 view, and then when i press a number on the keypad it goes to the view but when I release the button it immeadiatly goes to my TIR standard view again. Why isnt it staying in the numpad position after release of the button?? Ps, I remapped the ctrl+0 to just numpad 0. Also remapped the numpad snap views to just numpad 1 till 9. Standard setting is lwin+numpad to snap to the view but the standard settings dont work either. Are the views supposed to snap back after release.

Ps, I noticed a button to set niew views in dcs, does anybody know how this works, I would like to get a llittle bit more of the panel in the view since im playing on 2560*1440 resolution.

Edited by degoe