Gau 8

rextar

Oh please let's hope that Ed change the gau 8 avenger sounds in final product.It's in my opinion the major fault ,plus ballistics ,as the a10 needs to be at full power prior to engaging the gun,as the power of the a10 can cause a stall due to the recoil of the gun ...fingers crossed :pilotfly:

Intel i5 3.2 ghz

8 GB crucial ram

gtx 660 superclocked 2gb

500watt corsair psu

win7 64bit

extreme pro

track ir5

Turtle beach x12

The latter part of your opinion is both wrong and myth wrapped up all in one.

Gas ingestion by the engines can stall the engines, but that has been taken care of by running the igniters when the trigger is depressed.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Oh please let's hope that Ed change the gau 8 avenger sounds in final product.It's in my opinion the major fault ,plus ballistics ,as the a10 needs to be at full power prior to engaging the gun,as the power of the a10 can cause a stall due to the recoil of the gun ...fingers crossed :pilotfly:

Just like carrots make your eyesight much better.

• Like 1

In addition, the sound seems spot on when you check the frequency and compare it to recordings. I have yet to see anything conclusively indicate anything else.

What I have seen is many people calling foul after having mistakenly assumed the sound of the bullets or the impacts in various videos on the net to be the sound of the gun.

Personally, I love the current growl. Just what I expected.

,as the a10 needs to be at full power prior to engaging the gun,as the power of the a10 can cause a stall due to the recoil of the gun ...fingers crossed :pilotfly:
Ehhh.... What?! It certainly will stall if you're 20 degrees nose up, no throtle and firing, butother than that I dont think so lollll
Do you think that getting 9 women pregnant will get you a baby in 1 month?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mobo: Asus P8P67 deluxe Monitor: Lg 22'' 1920*1080

CPU: i7 2600k@ 4.8Ghz +Zalman CNPS9900 max

Keyboard: Logitech G15

GPU:GTX 980 Strix Mouse: Sidewinder X8

PSU: Corsair TX750w Gaming Devices: Saytek X52, TrackIr5

RAM: Mushkin 2x4gb ddr3 9-9-9-24 @1600mhz

Case: 690 SSD: Intel X25m 80gb

the stall part was actually a fault in the prototype where the gunpowder from the gun could cause the engines to stall.

since then various improvements have been made: Slats, and ignitors firing while and just after the gun has been fired.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

IIRC the slats have nothing to do with the gun issue - rather it is a high AoA eclipsing of airflow to the engines by the wing issue. The igniters, again, IIRC, are the only measure for the gas ingestion problem.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

No, in effect you were quite wrong. The recoil from the gun is NOT likely to stall the aircraft, and there is nothing wrong with the ballistics. ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You're very wrong about everything, as explained by others above ^

But, I do somewhat agree on the sound. Have you seen Project 10? If you look in my sig, there is a link that takes you to a (WIP) internal gun sound, from project 10. I think it has a much more AWSOME level about it than the standard one. But, that's me :)

You're very wrong about everything, as explained by others above ^

But, I do somewhat agree on the sound. Have you seen Project 10? If you look in my sig, there is a link that takes you to a (WIP) internal gun sound, from project 10. I think it has a much more AWSOME level about it than the standard one. But, that's me :)

Awesome != Realistic

You are playing a study sim. Realism is everything.

Just to clear things up, maybe a bit:

An engine stall and an aerodynamic stall are very different things that have nothing in common.

An engine stall due to gas ingestion is like a "stall" in your car: it's when the engine stops working. In this case, it is due to the gas and gunpowder mixture from the gun being sucked into the engine instead of the normal oxygen-rich air. When that happens, the engine may flame out (literally, the flame inside stops burning). Thus the engine stops producing thrust.

An aerodynamic stall is completely different, and is simply the loss of lift that occurs when the airflow over a wing is at too high of an angle relative to the wing. The air can't "make the turn" over the wing, so the airflow stops flowing smoothly over the wing, which destroys the wing's ability to create lift. So the wing loses lift, and the plane is said to have "stalled". You'd most likely encounter this if you get the A-10 too slow (due to the recoil of the gun, but that's a myth, as mentioned before), and pull back too much on the stick. Eventually the nose will drop suddenly, and usually one wing drops too. This is an aerodynamic stall.

tl;dr: Engine stalls and aerodynamic stalls are different things. :D

Thanks, back to the debate! :smilewink:

--NoJoe

An engine stall and an aerodynamic stall are very different things that have nothing in common.

Not true, the airflow through an engine can become so disturbed that the compressor blades effectively stall, even so much that airflow through the compressor is reversed. This is called a compressor stall and it usually happens in high AoA scenarios. E.g., the F-14A was quite prominent for such behaviour.

Point taken however, that calling the flameout from the gun exhaust a stall is a definitive misnomer.

Edited by sobek

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

This is called a compressor stall and it usually happens in high AoA scenarios. E.g., the F-14A was quite prominent for such behaviour.

Not to rain on your parade Sobek, but the F-14 issues were limited to the P&W TF30 turbofan, when the A+ (later renamed B) emerged with the GE F110 the problem dissapeared. It was however a very frequent occurrence, and did result in the loss of quiote a bit of airframes. I'm not sure but I do think there was some issues with the TF30 on the F-111 but don't quote me on that.

Staffan

http://www.ipms.dk

i7 9700K, Asus Z390 Prime A, Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, GeForce RTX 2080 Ti STRIX ROG, Fractal Design Define R6, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind, Oculus Rift S. 32 GB 3200 MHz RAM

Not to rain on your parade Sobek, but the F-14 issues were limited to the P&W TF30 turbofan, when the A+ (later renamed B) emerged with the GE F110 the problem dissapeared.

I'm sorry, but this conflicts how with what i said? :)

Edited by sobek
  • Like 1

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Just like carrots make your eyesight much better.

Wait.... Really? I've been had!

AMD 3600X- 32GB RAM - Gigabyte Geforce RTX 2080Ti - 512GB NVme Samsung 830 256Gb 840 256Gb SSD - Track IR 4.0 + TrackClip Pro - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - WarBRD base mount and extention - Simped F16/USB (Stolen!) - Thrustmaster T-flight pedals (spew)

DCS KA-50 Blackshark 1 & 2; DCS P-51 Mustang; DCS A-10C Warthog; DCS UH-1 Huey; DCS F-86F; DCS Mi-8MTV2; DCS Mig-21bis; DCS: AV-8b; DCS: Spitfire IX; DCS: NS430; DCS: Combined Arms; Lock On Flaming Cliffs 3; Rise of Flight; IL2:1946;

I'm sorry, but this conflicts how with what i said? :)

Yeah my bad, I might need glasses or more beer, please disregard!

Staffan

• Like 1

http://www.ipms.dk

i7 9700K, Asus Z390 Prime A, Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, GeForce RTX 2080 Ti STRIX ROG, Fractal Design Define R6, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind, Oculus Rift S. 32 GB 3200 MHz RAM

Not true, the airflow through an engine can become so disturbed that the compressor blades effectively stall, even so much that airflow through the compressor is reversed. This is called a compressor stall and it usually happens in high AoA scenarios. E.g., the F-14A was quite prominent for such behaviour.

Point taken however, that calling the flameout from the gun exhaust a stall is a definitive misnomer.

Heh, okay, you are right that a compressor stall "engine stall" is actually an aerodynamic stall of the compressor blades inside the engine, etc. etc.

But you see my point about it being a misnomer. :P

--NoJoe

Found a semi-analytical take I did on the gun sound some time back:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1033560#post1033560

Meh it wont let me in D= I agree the gun just kind of sounds "off"... I wrote a post about it a couple months ago too. I went through a bunch of youtube videos with in-cockpit firing and, to me, the in-game just sounds to digital almost like an old 80's arcade system type of sound? Really hard to explain lol.

I suspect it is less a case of the sound being wrong, and more a case of the balance being off. As in, the sound is correct, it's just not loud enough in comparison to the engines and other sounds in the game. Kind of like how when listening to music on the radio, you have to turn it up to that certain "sweet spot" when your bass boost kicks in- anything below that point just sounds WRONG. Of course, remember that the sound is supposed to simulate what you'd hear when wearing a fairly tight and sound-resistant headset.