JTACS for idiots

ColGray

Hello,i know there are plenty of JTAC lessons out there but could somebody give my a guide to JTAC for idiots i can contact them, but then its just another voice on the radio:joystick: im not interested in what means what but how to turn that into a taget really

• Like 1

The State Military (CVW-17)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

VICTORY 104

F-14B BuNo 161442

VF-103

LTJG J. “Shades” Gray

http://www.statelyfe.com

Win-10 x64

EVGA 2070 FTW

Thermaltake 850w

Intel I7-8700K at 3.7 Ghz

32GB Corsair DDR4 at 3000mhz

+1 for some info on this:)

Intel i7 6700k, Asus GTX1070, 16gb DDR4 @ 3200mhz, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung Evo 850 SSD @ 500GB * 2, TrackIR 5 and 27" monitor running at 2560 * 1440, Windows 10.

Have you read the JTAC section in the flight manual starting at page 640?

The most simplified way I can put it is:

1. Contact JTAC and check-in.
  2. Wait for the 9-line to finish and after a short pause, they will say "advise when ready for remarks and further talk-on"
  3. Use the radio to say you're ready for remarks
  4. After receiving remarks, use the radio to provide the 9-line readback.
  5. JTAC will confirm readback okay, and say 'standby data'.
  6. You'll then receive a message on both MFCDs saying NEW TASKING; acknowledge this with the ack OSB at the bottom right or TMS LEFT SHORT.
  7. On your TAD, you will have a WILCO and a CNCMP option on the left and right. Use the WILCO option to accept the tasking.
  8. You'll see a red triangle on the TAD. Make the TAD the SOI, use the throttle slew control to put the cursor over the triangle, use TMS UP SHORT to hook the triangle, and then TMS UP LONG to make it the SPI.
  9. Use CHINA HAT FWD LONG to slew everything to the SPI (i.e. location of that triangle). At this point, your targeting pod will pointing at the coordinates the JTAC provided. Use it to locate the precise position of your target(s).

Exactly how you prosecute the attack depends on the type of control in effect and how the target is marked; I'd suggest reading page 642 at the very least. If you just go in guns blazing without following procedure your JTAC will tell you to abort.

• Like 26

Informative and concise. If I could rep you twice, I would.

Cheers

Con

Intel i7 6700k, Asus GTX1070, 16gb DDR4 @ 3200mhz, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung Evo 850 SSD @ 500GB * 2, TrackIR 5 and 27" monitor running at 2560 * 1440, Windows 10.

2. Wait for the 9-line to finish and after a short pause, they will say "advise when ready for remarks and further talk-on"
  6. You'll then receive a message on both MFCDs saying NEW TASKING; acknowledge this with the ack OSB at the bottom right or TMS LEFT SHORT.
  7. On your TAD, you will have a WILCO and a CNCMP option on the left and right. Use the WILCO option to accept the tasking.
  8. You'll see a red triangle on the TAD. Make the TAD the SOI, use the throttle slew control to put the cursor over the triangle, use TMS UP SHORT to hook the triangle, and then TMS UP LONG to make it the SPI.
  9. Use CHINA HAT FWD LONG to slew everything to the SPI (i.e. location of that triangle). At this point, your targeting pod will pointing at the coordinates the JTAC provided. Use it to locate the precise position of your target(s).

Exactly how you prosecute the attack depends on the type of control in effect and how the target is marked; I'd suggest reading page 642 at the very least. If you just go in guns blazing without following procedure your JTAC will tell you to abort.

STELLAR! Thank you so much for simplifying this. Rep just sent.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

-Leonerdo da Vinci

Area-51 X58

Intel Core i7-940 2.93 GHz 8MB Cache

1000 Watt Multi-GPU Power Supply

Dual 896MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260

6GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz - 3 x 2048MB

Motherboard- Socket 1366 Dual Triple Channel DDR3 Memory

Windows 10 (64-bit)

Alright well thank you thats exactly what i meant now just one more question when you say hook the triangle you are refering to the osb hookon tad correct other than that i absolutly understand now Thanks:thumbup:

The State Military (CVW-17)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

VICTORY 104

F-14B BuNo 161442

VF-103

LTJG J. “Shades” Gray

http://www.statelyfe.com

Win-10 x64

EVGA 2070 FTW

Thermaltake 850w

Intel I7-8700K at 3.7 Ghz

32GB Corsair DDR4 at 3000mhz

Damn, nomdeplume, you just answered the biggest question I've had since starting this sim but was too afraid I couldn't ask it properly. Headache solved!

I've been flying the first Easy Mission (East Georgia) and the armored column at the end has been giving me fits because I couldn't figure out what to do after I entered the UMT coord's into the CDU. I've been finding the column on occasion, but only by sheer luck (and when I would find it, my wingie would usually be dead due to stoopidity <g>). Now the mystery is solved thanks to you. <bows>

The rep machine says I need to spread some love elsewhere before I can give you a point; consider this a poor substitute. Soon as I can I'll zip one your way, guaranteed.

Edited by El_Roto

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

257th Fighting Falcons/First VFW-25th Virtual Fighter Squadron

Specs: Win7 HP 64 bit, i7-960 @ 3.2GHz, 12GB DDR3 RAM @ 1333MHz, Intel-based Alienware mobo, 256GB Samsung SSD, WD 1.0TB HD, Samsung LCD monitor @ 1920x1200, TM Warthog, SIMPED vario F-16 rudders w/brakes, R.A.T. 7 mouse, 2xMimo 7" LCDs, 2xTM Cougar MFDs, and TrackIR4 w/Pro Clip. Wife who tolerates it. Cat who thinks she can interrupt at ANY time. :doh:

when you say hook the triangle you are referring to the osb hookon tad correct

I'm not really sure what you're asking. :)

You don't need to use any of the Option Select Buttons to hook an object on the TAD, instead just: Make the TAD the SOI, use the throttle slew control to put the cursor over the triangle, use TMS UP SHORT to hook the triangle, and then TMS UP LONG to make the TAD (and hence, hooked object) the SPI.

Only real use for the OSBs is to hit the WILCO option when you receive the tasking information.

The OSB on the TAD with "HOOK OWN" "HOOK SHIP" etc. is just used for cycling through various reference points for bearing and range indications. Nothing to do with actually hooking an object.

• Like 1

Out of sheer newbish-ness, I believe I ended up hitting the CNCMP OSB on the TAD screen instead of the WILCO simply because it was red and I was suffering from the "Don't push the red button" syndrome. Now I don't see WILCO or any other information. How can I get back to having the red triangle on the TAD and WILCO OSB or do I need to abort and ask for another tasking?

Why can't I ever seem to contact a JTAC during a mission? It seems like 80% of the time, I check in and get no response. Yes, I am using the correct frequency. Yes, I am hitting all of my steerpoints. I don't think they're getting killed right off the bat because they'd disappear from the comms menu.

Obviously I need to get under the hood and figure out what's going on and what I'm doing wrong. How does this work exactly? What triggers a JTAC to be available? It's very frustrating flying around with no SA because the JTAC ignores me. :helpsmilie:

Why can't I ever seem to contact a JTAC during a mission?

We'd need more specific information; particularly which mission(s) and at what point in the mission you're trying to contact them.

In a few of the stock missions, the FAC isn't close enough to the action especially early in the mission so won't be able to provide tasking. Normally you should get a 'stand by' message but sometimes you don't get any response at all. Not sure exactly what conditions are required... and it may still be WIP, of course.

We'd need more specific information.

Pretty much all of the missions in "The Shore" campaign that involve a JTAC and many of the single missions including Smerch Hunt, Khashuri Gap and others. I try to contact them when I hit the steerpoint stated in the briefing (CP) and I continue trying periodically throughout the course of the mission.

I don't know if it's a range issue because it's the same problem with AFACs too.

Pretty much all of the missions in "The Shore" campaign that involve a JTAC and many of the single missions including Smerch Hunt, Khashuri Gap and others. I try to contact them when I hit the steerpoint stated in the briefing (CP) and I continue trying periodically throughout the course of the mission.

I don't know if it's a range issue because it's the same problem with AFACs too.

Alot of the missions in the campaigns do not work properly yet. The shore camp JTACS do not work. At least not in the first missions. Well, they actually answer but has no target for you.

But smerch mission works fine. Been doing that many times now for practise.

Anyways, JTACS are still WIP so have patience :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I7 3930K.

16Gb Corsair Vengeance 1866mhz.

Asus P9X79 Deluxe.

Asus GTX680 2Gb.

Auzentech Home Theater 3D Sound.

TM Warthog HOTAS.

TM Cougar MFD's.

Saitek Flight Pro pedals.

TrackIR 5.

Samsung Syncmaster P2770FH

Pretty much all of the missions...

When I run into this I restart the mission with simple radios to see if it's a me-problem (radio operation) or a them-problem (mission config, etc.). Now I can't comment on the campaign missions as the early-beta roughness has turned me off of campaigns until the full release, but in standalone missions (both ED and user-provided) JTAC usually works fairly well (at least as of Beta 4).

• 1 month later...

If you just go in guns blazing without following procedure your JTAC will tell you to abort. :music_whistling: 8)