Just ordered GTX460..install?

Just ordered the GTX460 1Gb :D

Haven't installed one for ages so just to make sure I am right......

Uninstall nVidia software

Turn PC off

Remove old card and replace with GTX460

Turn computer back on

Install new nVidia drivers......

Thanks in advance! (can't wait to try DCSW with it!!)

"The sky is not the limit.....it's my playground!!" @paraglidecass

Exactly right. You could also run a driver cleaner utility as well just to be sure to remove all older drivers entries and files but if you do a good uninstall of all Nvidia software it is usually not necessary. Turn off the PC and switch off the PSU if there is a switch and unplug the AC power before swapping the cards. Observe ESD precautions.

Enjoy your new upgrade.

Out

Edited by PoleCat
  • Like 1

Also I think the latest Nvidia drivers offer the option to 'clean install' or words to that effect?

Corsair 550D / Be Quiet 650W Pro 10 / ASUS P8Z77-V Pro / Intel i5 3570K / 16GB Kingston HyperX 1600 MHz / EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX2 4GB / 128GB Samsung 830 / RME HDSPe Multiface 2 / 1TB Samsung F3 / Prolimatech Megalames Rev. B / Windows 10 / BenQ XL2420T / Saitek X52 Pro / Kone Pure+ / Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja

Also I think the latest Nvidia drivers offer the option to 'clean install' or words to that effect?

Yeah they did when I upgraded my drivers to 266.58 on my GTX260. Not sure how clean it will make it, but didn't have any problems since the upgrade of drivers.

They say it will be here by 1300hrs Saturday......:D:joystick::D I have most settings in DCSW on max except shadows and water and have blur off. Hoping I may get everything maxed and still get 30fps!!

One further note regarding power-off - I would recommend not only turning power off, unplug the PSU correctly and wait ~30 seconds before touching the insides. (This to ensure that there are no capacitors sitting with latent charge.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Be careful with driver cleaners unless absolutely necessary, it seems that they can make a bit of a mess.

OS: Win11 Pro 64bit MB: ASUS B550-I STRIX CPU: AMD R7 5800X GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 Super 8GB RAM: 32GB DDR4 SSD (OS and Sims): Samsung 980 Pro 2TB Accessories: TrackIR5, Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals

Carney where did u get your 460 from?

Ive got a 260 and looking to upgrade!!!

Thx im in uk too

Intel i5 3.2 ghz

8 GB crucial ram

gtx 660 superclocked 2gb

500watt corsair psu

win7 64bit

extreme pro

track ir5

Turtle beach x12

Depending on how much you have guys i would recomend a 560 over a 460.

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

Went from 8800gtx to 460gtx, different manufacturers (bfgtech to evga), and simply pulled the old out, popped the new in, installed new company's driver and gadgetry (clock altering panel), then applied newest nvidia reference driver over the top.. no probs.

Having to rigorously clean old drivers seems to be something nvidia don't need so much now.. used to be a requirement before that you go back and set your card to basic svga standard driver before upgrading drivers, but not anymore.

[ i7 2600k 4.6GHz :: 16GB Mushkin Blackline LV :: EVGA GTX 1080ti 11GB ]

[ TM Warthog / Saitek Rudder :: Oculus Rift :: Obutto cockpit :: Acer HN274H 27" 120Hz :: 3D Vision Ready ]

Yeh, or doing like I did the other day and changing from an old ATI Radeon card to a newish Nvidia card...Even then it was just to be safe, don't want any old useless drivers hanging about.

I think it'll be fine with just installing them over the top and selecting clean install...

Corsair 550D / Be Quiet 650W Pro 10 / ASUS P8Z77-V Pro / Intel i5 3570K / 16GB Kingston HyperX 1600 MHz / EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX2 4GB / 128GB Samsung 830 / RME HDSPe Multiface 2 / 1TB Samsung F3 / Prolimatech Megalames Rev. B / Windows 10 / BenQ XL2420T / Saitek X52 Pro / Kone Pure+ / Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja

I agree with this. I got my EVGA GTX 465 sc befor the 580 cameout. This thing Oc's like a mad dog. The 460 is better at stock clock. but If I match mh with the 460 the 465 smokes it. I have had it stable to 875mh 1750mem 70% fan and giting 78*. Im not messing with voltage just using the EVGA presion OC softwair. Runs BFBC2 at 100FPS. :thumbup:

Home built PC Win 10 Pro 64bit, MB ASUS Z170 WS, 6700K, EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid, 32GB DDR4 3200, Thermaltake 120x360 RAD, Custom built A-10C sim pit, TM WARTHOG HOTAS, Cougar MFD's, 3D printed UFC and Saitek rudders. HTC VIVE VR.

https://digitalcombatmercenaries.enjin.com/

One further note regarding power-off - I would recommend not only turning power off, unplug the PSU correctly and wait ~30 seconds before touching the insides. (This to ensure that there are no capacitors sitting with latent charge.)

Yeah will make sure everything is really turned off. Have had shock before so know what it's like. I thought capacitors held the charge even if they were turned of for ages?

Carney where did u get your 460 from?

Ive got a 260 and looking to upgrade!!!

Thx im in uk too

Got it from Amazon....Palit GTX 460 Sonic 1Gb for 130 quid. I know it's not the best card (got a Palit GTX260 at the mo and had no problems) but already running good frames and settings so just wanted that little bit extra. The only thing installed on my PC is DCS Warthog....gave up BFBC2 and CODMW ages ago......like flying for fun not fighting cheats LOL

Wife and two kids....that's how much I have :thumbup: If I had the money would buy a whole new PC :D

I agree with this. I got my EVGA GTX 465 sc befor the 580 cameout. This thing Oc's like a mad dog. The 460 is better at stock clock. but If I match mh with the 460 the 465 smokes it. I have had it stable to 875mh 1750mem 70% fan and giting 78*. Im not messing with voltage just using the EVGA presion OC softwair. Runs BFBC2 at 100FPS. :thumbup:

Will be looking at OC'ing once I get it running if need. Gonna be making a few more changes to the case though for extra fans. Want to get one in the top to draw hot air out. Hte case has pretty good cooling at the mo from the extra fans I put in after some drill and hacksaw changes to the case :D

Edited by CarneyUK

GTX 460 now installed, just had a quick try on DCSW and have got 31fps set and with shadows on max, heat blur on and TSSAA on it doesn't budge from 31 fps!! :D

Yeah will make sure everything is really turned off. Have had shock before so know what it's like. I thought capacitors held the charge even if they were turned of for ages?

Not quite - though there is a new type of capacitor being developed that can do so and essentailly act as a standard LiPo (as far as density/longevity) with the added ability of unleashing everything it's got in a split second. Still experimental though.

It's not so much a question of shocking you - more that since there is a tonne of caps and such things around on the various components you might still have things powered on even if you shut power off. With some motherboards you'll have LEDs and such - same on my GTX560 - where you can see that there's still juice in the system for a little while even after physically removing the power chord. So unplugging is basically to ensure that there's no tiny little component that gets upset about being disconnected while powered.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

I unplugged form the wall just to make sure :D.

All installed now and have done some initial tests. Loving it as I now have everything on max except water (don't think the reflections look realistic anyway) and have changed the graphics.cfg to 60fps. I had it on 30fps max before and it was a little twitchy. Once i upped it to 60fps max it ran smooth as silk.

Gonna have a play with a few settings and see what is better / worse etc till I find my favorite settings.

You dont have to wait 30 sec, you just puch the power button for 30 sec and then it is un charged

MB:MSI X79A-GD45

CPU:Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2GHz

Ram:16 gb

Grafik :GTX 680 Sli

Win 7 64 bit

1200 W

2 ssd 120 gb

1 2 TB western Digital Caviar Green

You dont have to wait 30 sec, you just puch the power button for 30 sec and then it is un charged

Please inform my motherboard. ;)

Also, you need to reach back to flip that switch, so the extra work in disconnecting is exactly 0.5 seconds. :P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester