Pitch up with no input?

K-Nadian

Hello,

Newbie here. My joystick registers no input when it's centered in calibration, but Im finding that at any speed over 200 kias my hog pitches upwards. I actually have to hold my joystick forward a touch to maintain level flight. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance!

On another note assymetrical loads will make your aircraft bank, one good advice is to trim fairly constantly... make sure you don't fiht your controls but use them.

Staffan

http://www.ipms.dk

i7 9700K, Asus Z390 Prime A, Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, GeForce RTX 2080 Ti STRIX ROG, Fractal Design Define R6, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind, Oculus Rift S. 32 GB 3200 MHz RAM

Aye, Trim cannot be overemphasized. It is extremely important. And while it can be a bit of a distraction to mind it in the beginning, it is something that will reward you immensely once you are used to it and find yourself doing it without thinking.

Trim often, trim more, and when you aren't trimming... trim... :D

(Well, that's an exhaggeration, but you get my drift. :) )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

There is a reason that there is a big old hat dedicated to trim on the warthog flight stick.

Corsair Graphite 780T / ASUS Maximus VIII Hero / i7-6700K@4.5GHz / Corsair H110i / 32GB DDR4 PC-2666 / ASUS 1080 Strix / EVGA 850 Pro / Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSD / Win10x64 / Samsung UN48JU7500 4k / Logitech G910/933 KB/Headphones / Razer Naga Epic Mouse / MFG Crosswinds / TM HOTAS Warthog / HTC Vive

You will find after a while that you will trim almost without thinking about it - it becomes natural, just as is does when you fly a real plane.

It is also worth noting that you should get the plane trimmed up before engaging the autopilot. Doing so will avoid departures when you turn the AP off. And, you definitely want to have everything in trim before attempting arial refueling - it will save much frustration.

Zenra

Intel i7 930 2.8GHz; ATI HD5850 1GB; 1TB Serial ATA-II; 12GB DDR3-1333; 24 x DL DVD+/-RW Drive; 800W PSU; Win7-64; TM Warthog HOTAS

On another note assymetrical loads will make your aircraft bank, one good advice is to trim fairly constantly... make sure you don't fiht your controls but use them.

Staffan

The A-10 should always have a tiny amount of roll to the left due to the torque of the engines too.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The A-10 should always have a tiny amount of roll to the left due to the torque of the engines too.

Turbine engines don't impose much torque on the airframe, AFAIK.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Never heard about that, and wasn't aware of any...

But I do know that assymetrical loads can do a lot more than make you turn.

Staffan

http://www.ipms.dk

i7 9700K, Asus Z390 Prime A, Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, GeForce RTX 2080 Ti STRIX ROG, Fractal Design Define R6, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind, Oculus Rift S. 32 GB 3200 MHz RAM

Alright, well I know i'll probably be cursed at for not having the proper tools for the job, I'll tell you that my joystick is nothing special. Im using a saitek AV8R-01. I have the hat switch on it set to control view, not trim. that is how it comes default. My trim controls are set to ; , . / BUT when I use them in flight, they only control the SOI (HUD, MFCDs).... Anyone know what I can do? Short of buying a new stick ;)

..............Anyone know what I can do? Short of buying a new stick ;)............

I'd suggest that you could get familiar with the flying part of the sim, if u map your hat buttons to the trim , then use the keypad, or mouselook to look around. For more complex stuff, like targeting, datalink, weapons, etc you're gonna need a hotas setup to see it at its full potential.

If you think u like it enough, then there's lots of options for joysticks for this sim, and you might have to start saving. :music_whistling:

Fish's Flight Sim Videos

[sIGPIC]I13700k, RTX4090, 64gb ram @ 3600, superUltraWide 5120x1440, 2560x1440, 1920x1080, Warthog, Tusba TQS, Reverb VR1000, Pico 4, Wifi6 router, 360/36 internet[/sIGPIC]

The cheapest HOTAS is the X-52, and at $100, it's a steal. Besides being cheap, it's fairly durable (been using mine for five years now), and with proper programming, every single HOTAS command in the real A-10C (plus more that isn't on it) can be mapped to it, WITHOUT having to change modes (other than pinky shift).

You also want a Track IR, but there are free alternatives out there to Track IR such as free track and facetrack.

It is possible to fly this without a decent HOTAS, but you're just going to have to be touching the keyboard, ALOT. You will take much longer to do any specific task. This "game" is a sim of very high detail, (if you can fly this A-10C sim then you could pretty much fly a real A-10... though if you have no real-life flying time, your takeoffs, landings, and ramp starts might be a little "interesting"). So bascially.... you need the tools a real pilot has if you want to excell.

Edited by Speed

Intelligent discourse can only begin with the honest admission of your own fallibility.

Member of the Virtual Tactical Air Group: http://vtacticalairgroup.com/

Lua scripts and mods:

MIssion Scripting Tools (Mist): http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98616

Slmod version 7.0 for DCS: World: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80979

Now includes remote server administration tools for kicking, banning, loading missions, etc.

I'd suggest that you could get familiar with the flying part of the sim, if u map your hat buttons to the trim , then use the keypad, or mouselook to look around. For more complex stuff, like targeting, datalink, weapons, etc you're gonna need a hotas setup to see it at its full potential.

If you think u like it enough, then there's lots of options for joysticks for this sim, and you might have to start saving. :music_whistling:

Yeah I've tried using the mouse to look around but then i cant have a hand on my zoom in/out keys on the keyboard if i want to take a closer look at something. As this is my first sim I didnt go all out on a joystick (and being a student doesnt help)... but im sure as I get more flight hours under my belt ill wanna spring for something better. Untill then ill have to manage. How do I use , . ; / to trim the aircraft if those keys also slew my targeting boxes on the HUD? Do i need to switch to a different mode? They dont work when the SOI is HUD or any of the MFCDs....

Pretty much normal more thrust equates to more lift. Jockey your throttle and experiment

Just to be pedantic: it's not more thrust that equals lift, it's more airspeed.

Thrust is simply the force from your engines pushing you forward.

Airspeed is your speed through the air. That's what makes lift!

Sorry, couldn't help myself. :D

--NoJoe

Alright, well I know i'll probably be cursed at for not having the proper tools for the job, I'll tell you that my joystick is nothing special. Im using a saitek AV8R-01. I have the hat switch on it set to control view, not trim. that is how it comes default. My trim controls are set to ; , . / BUT when I use them in flight, they only control the SOI (HUD, MFCDs).... Anyone know what I can do? Short of buying a new stick ;)

I am in a somewhat close situation as you are regarding controls. I have a 8 button control but with only one hat on it.

Normal hat input is view. Buttons 3 and 4 are zoom in and out. LCrtl+ Hat is trim. LShift+Hat is slew. LAlt + Hat is DMS. And finally LWin+Hat is TMS.

A bit confusing, but with time I got to manage all this. You can set it all up on Options>Controls>HOTAS and choosing Modifiers for each command.

Of course, I'm looking forward a Track IR 5 which will ease the load a lot on the controls, also to make my old CH Fighter Stick gameport controllers to work on my USB-only computer.

What I mean by that is that a good alternative, not as expensive as the TM Hotas Warthog, are CH Products, which are reliable, have lots of hats, buttons, etc; and are not THAT expensive.

This is an amazing sim! 'Nuff said!:pilotfly:

YouTube: SloppyDog

• ED Team
Hello,

Newbie here. My joystick registers no input when it's centered in calibration, but Im finding that at any speed over 200 kias my hog pitches upwards. I actually have to hold my joystick forward a touch to maintain level flight. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance!

Pitch trim for desired speed, throttle for desired climb/descent.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

I remapped the arrow keys as my trim control. Using the default key mappings were too tedious for how frequent I use the trim, and I have a joystick so I didn't need the arrow key default function.

--Maulkin

Windows 10 64-bit - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @ 3.7 GHz - 32 GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 - Asus Crosshair VIII Hero motherboard - Samsung EVO Pro 1 TB SSD - TrackIR 4 Pro - Thrustmaster Warthog - Saitek rudder pedals - Lilliput UM-80/C with TM Cougars

To put it into context; make a paper airplane and throw it really hard, it will bank up steeply. Take the same paper airplane and throw it softly, it will be on a straight trajectory.

Now, bend the back of the wings down and throw it hard. If you bend them enough the plane should go straight even though it has a lot of speed. Trim is like bending the back of the wings down (loosely :) ). As EtherealN said; trim so often that it becomes second nature and you do it without thinking.

I don't have a Warthog, so I use stick to trim mode. You can set it up in your controls. I have it mapped to my thumb button on my throttle. Stick to trim allows you to change the trim with the joystick. Press the button, pull back, you trim up, let the button go.

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

The default keybindings for trim are RightCtrl and , . ; /

If you don't hold down the right control key you'll be controlling the slew stick on the throttle, which is what you're describing.

Stick to trim might be an option; essentially, while you hold it down your joystick movements will change the trim. I don't use it myself, and when I tried it, it mostly seemed like it might be useful for very fine adjustments, not for normal use.