Engine death in patrol

First off, howdy. I've been flying BS for a year or so and lurking here. I'm not the greatest pilot, so any tips would be appreciated.

Anyway, I was flying the Patrol mission and I managed to destroy the convoy minus 1 tank. After exhausting my munitions, I turned homeward, hoping to rearm and return, only to have my rotor RPM drop. I glance at my gauges and my left engine is dead. My first thought is that I got lit up without noticing, but there's no fire. Just a dead engine.

I adjust my collective to keep my RPM up and start limping up, hoping now just to make it home. Maybe I can tell my boss there's a tank headed this way and another bird can finish him off.

Anyway, I tried restarting my engine as soon as I had my hands free. When it didn't start, I made an incredibly stupid mistake: I pulled the wrong cutoff valve! My right engine dies, I facepalm and then inspect the situation. Thinking I have enough altitude and airspeed, I quickly fire up the APU and then hit the start button for the right engine. After the longest 12 seconds of my life, my altitude stabilizes and I stop dropping-at <100FT FROM THE GROUND!

I regain control again and head for home. As soon as I'm on the runway taxiing to the ramp, my right engine dies.

My question is this: Any ideas what would just kill my engines? No failures are set in the engine. There were no fires. I still had fuel. My only thought is icing (stupid me ignored betty when she told me about rotor anti-icing), but why would my right engine die when I'm on the ground?

So yeah, thoughts? Comments on my flying? Track is attached.

patrol engine failure.trk

So yeah, thoughts? Comments on my flying? Track is attached.

I didn't see any obvious reason for the engine failures. Temperatures, oil and hydraulics pressures looked fine to me, so I'll go with icing or, to add another possibility: battle damage.

I didn't notice any visible damage in the F2 view, nor did I notice any warning lamps. There were quite a few tracer rounds fired at your bird, though. I assume it's possible for the DCS Ka-50 to receive "invisible" damage. Can anyone confirm that?

Icing, however, seems to be the most logical explanation to me. My version of the mission says the outside temperature is -2°C, and you're flying higher than 1000m most of the time without any of the de-icing systems.

On a general note: your weapons exceed the range of the enemy weapons. Even when you had plenty Vikhrs left, you came within less than 4km of the convoy. I think you should really avoid that, because it puts you in (or near) the enemy's weapons range. Why give them a shot at you when you really have the advantage?

On a side note: Nice way to restart the right engine just seconds before a potentially lethal crash. :-)

And welcome to the forums!

Also no Time for watching the track.

But for flying in Cold conditions you have to switch on.

- Rotor anti ice

- Engine anti ice

- both Pitot heat switches

The ekran message repeats all 10 minutes or so.

Switching all anti ice and heat systems on doesent have an effect for stoping that so im not sure you know about anti ice sytem before this post.

Have you switched Birdstrike on??

:)

"Blyat Naaaaa" - Izlom

The track I just watched showed you got hit with multiple SAMs, APU fire, and you blew up...?

You do realize that there are some issues with track playback?

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=57507

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=56014

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=55839

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=62692

All I can say is: when I watched the track (with no fast forwarding at all), it played out exactly as described by the OP.

You can also check the mission editor, if the mission doesn't have some failures set-up.

The mission is called "Patrol", as stated by the OP. My version of that mission in the 1.0.2 installation doesn't have any failures set up.

Alright, thanks for the feedback, folks. I guess I'm going with icing here for lack of a better guess.

Irregular: Shouldn't be dust. I don't ever hit the deck in this one.

Yurgon: Thanks for the feedback =) I did get a little close for comfort. I've always had difficulty lining up shots on enemies below me where I can't see them because of the nose of the bird. That's why I tend to get a little closer and a little lower than I should. Also it's difficult to line up distant shots in this mission because of the winding roads in the canyon. I wanted to hit the tanks from above and behind because that's where I've had the best luck with one-shot Vikhr kills.

Isegrim: No birdstrikes. Is that just in the options menu? Any visual feedback for a birdstrike other than sudden engine death? Temperature spike? Fire?

Again, thanks for the feedback everyone!

Mysterious RPM rollback (in the sim) is definitely a symptom of icing. You can switch them on as part of your checklist items - there's a small power penalty but - if in doubt - (I've seen a few MP scenarios where this has caught me out) switch them on. Annunciators are just above the front window.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Isegrim: No birdstrikes. Is that just in the options menu? Any visual feedback for a birdstrike other than sudden engine death? Temperature spike? Fire?

Bird strike is a feature from Lock On/Flaming Cliffs IIRC. Since it's hard to see a bird in a fast mover, birds have no visual representation and I'm not sure whether they're even objects in the game or just a statistical value for calculating the probability of a bird strike. In short: Nope, you don't see them. :-)

According to this thread, a bird strike does in fact cause engine fire.

Well, here's attempt #2 (or rather, #6). I have this curious problem where, after getting taken out once, I tend to rush through the beginning part of the mission the next time in a rush to get to the shooting and, quite often, I put myself in a poor position because of it.

This attempt went markedly better. I'm especially pleased with the fact that I managed to actually take out a T-72 with an S-13 salvo at 2.2km. That marks a first for me.

I'm also happy that I was able to reacquire my target after returning to base to rearm. I'm NOT happy, however, that I lost track of my airspeed and AGL during my final attack run and parked my bird on the side of a hill with my bottom rotors missing. I doubt my CO would even send a rescue team after me if he knew how I crashed. On the upside, I wouldn't have to explain it to him then...

So yeah, booyah for the S-13 kill!

On a side note, how do the S-13s compare to the S-8KOMs other than the obvious answer of, "bigger"? Can I take out a T-72 with a quarter salvo (medium attack length, if memory serves) of S-8s?

110506 Patrol.zip