Lock On Gold actually includes 1.1?

Guys, guys, I think we're all missing the point here.

ED clearly and publically announced that the release date was {$release date},

delayed release by an all-important extra month to ensure that StarForce would cause "NO PROBLEMS" and all the whiney complainers were worrying about NOTHING,

received continuous customer loyalty, support and goodwill on the forums,

and proceeded to create a double-whammy copy-protection/purchase-method FUBAR disaster unparalleled in the history of software.

All Ubi did was made a promise,

get nothing but disbelief and accusations of false advertising from its customers, ED people, Evolved people, people named "Stormin," apparently even ITS OWN people...

and without ONE WORD of excuses, explanations or protestations, simply... *gasp*

delivered on its promise.

Seriously, what's a money-grubbing large corporation that knows nothing about flight sims gotta DO to get us to like them?!? :confused: Ubi has feelings too you know. :(

-SK

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm confused on this one. I was told when this Lock On Gold first appeared on the EB site that it was not something authorized by TFC/ED. It now appears that either does have their blessing or it has the V1.1 content included without their approval.

Only someone from TFC/ED can clear this matter up. Regardless, getting the full simulation with V1.1 content is rather convienent and worth what they are charging. I just hope that if TFC/ED is a part of this effort that they are getting a fair portion of the proceeds. It sure would be nice if the communications regarding this situation were better. I fail to see how having no information from TFC/ED is a sound strategy.

This also causes some concern that standalone V1.1 is being sold by NaturalPoint for $29.95 or on the Eagle website for $25.00 while customers can get the entire Lock On product WITH V1.1 for only $29.99 with Lock On: Gold. Granted that the initial release of the upgrade was months ago, so the price structure overall is going to change.

Here is a quote from someone leaving a review on that EB Games web page:

7/30/2005

DOWN IN FLAMES...

I actually bought this game for the upgrade- mainly that Flaming Cliffs is included on a second cd. The 1st cd is just Lock On Modern Air Combat which I have played. Lomac runs just fine, while Flaming Cliffs installs but will not play.

This is because they used Starforce Protection technology on this disc and I keep getting an error saying that it doesn't recognize the disk-- please insert a licensed copy !!!??? I just bought the game the day before at EB games and it's telling me that it can't recognize the disk??!!

I have emailed the error message to Starforce and have read many forums on the original Flaming Cliffs but to no avail. I guess that this copy will have to go back to the store (just like the first) and I'll stick with Falcon 4 Allied Force which runs flawlessly.....

Alright, now we know for sure that Lock On Gold does indeed include both the original and Flaming Cliffs. Now i want to know some more information about the Starforce thing. I know there's a small problem with the Starforce crap, something about e-mailing to starforce support for the code which they will respond like within an hour. (not over weekends) So after you get the code and get it up and running, does it still require the cd in the drive to run? And if you change any of your hardware will the starforce in Lock On 1.1 require you to register again...and how many activation chances we have...bla bla bla. Basically, is this version more like the cd version from natural point or the download version from LockOn.ru

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Also if you notice any "limited" activations...man will the guys who paid for limited activations be miffed...i would be.

Not really. I expect you still have to have the CD in the drive. I bet those who just bought LOMAC & FC seperately will be a bit miffed though.

What I'd be interested in if I were to get this is if it'll be supported for current and future patches. Does it include the current FC multiplayer & LOD fixes? I know the current fixes have versions for CD version and Web version, does this mean that the patch will have to have a version for the Gold Edition too?

It seems amazing that they've managed to release a product that fails to activate for anyone. I hope we don't lose prospective community members who simply give up and return the disc as defective. Heres hoping they fix this after the weekend. :rolleyes:

---SVBS squad is playing Lock On, ADF/TAW and Typhoon now at www.svbs.co.uk !---

Also if you notice any "limited" activations...man will the guys who paid for limited activations be miffed...i would be.

Not really.

I bought LO:MAC when first released so I have had the enjoyment of it from the start. I bought FC when first released and had only to reactivate starforce once after I changed my RAM, CPU and graphics card in one go. I now have 14 reactivations of starforce left. No problems at all with it, I'm one happy 25T pilot you never hear any complaining from. :)

With the fact that I don't need to keep a CD in the drive, the fact that the registry backup utility meens I can reinstall FC as many times as I want without wasting any starforce activations and the fact that My PC has a 478 Skt Mobo with AGP and I have updated as far as it can handle. So no more activations with this PC anyway.

Worked out better for me than the CD add-on would. :D

It seems amazing that they've managed to release a product that fails to activate for anyone. I hope we don't lose prospective community members who simply give up and return the disc as defective. Heres hoping they fix this after the weekend. :rolleyes:

Well if, as some of us are speculating, this IS an unauthorised release of v1.1, then it might not be so surprising ;)

I don't disagree with the principle of getting FC onto shop shelves - but doing it in such a way that it doesn't actually benefit ED is kinda pointless.

• Like 1

The chance this is an unauthorized version of 1.1 is a really big possibility right now. First, assuming that this copy is indeed an unauthorized version, that would explain why none of the ED team has responded to this thread because if they authenticate that Lock On Gold does contain 1.1 (which we know as of now it really does) it might take away sales from natural point and LockOn.ru. Also, I’m still checking the Best Buy website and it still says the box contains only one CD, but we know it contains 2 cds since it has both the original and 1.1. And third, the price is a little surprising considering it contains both versions. On the Fry’s website, Lock On Gold cost the same as the original Lock On ($29.99). And its kinda freaky after a person install Lock On Gold, it will say “please insert authorized version of CD into drive” or something like that, and you have to go through that crap of e-mailing the starforce support to get the code. I think the starforce support area must be like “wtf? Why r we getting so many complaints/e-mails about this game,” or this is suppose to happen. If the customer is suppose to contact starforce support, they should have said that during install. The people who don’t visit the forums and learn about this, they might return it. One guy almost did on the ubi forums but we told him about the situation. He’s still waiting for a response from starforce since they don’t work on weekends. So I guess I’ll hold off my money until I’m sure the money is going to go to ED.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ED PLEASE TAKE SOME ACTION. DO NOT LET EVOLVED GAMES GET PROFIT FROM YOUR HARD WORK.

I kinda feel bad that I spent 50$ getting my copy from naturalpoint with just FC...and I could I bought it here for 30$ ...both 1.0 + FC.

BUT...I feel proud that I am supporting ED directly. To ensure the future success of ED and their flight sims...let us PROTEST against evolved games and LOCK ON GOLD.

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

hmmm, all of that smell very fishy...

it look like Evolved just copy FC CD-version content to their CD and start selling, but since FC CD-version protected by SF and linked to particular disks, made by ED, and can not be just copied, and therefore _every_ LO GOLD buyer getting "SF can not recognize disk" errors after installing FC add-on, because Evolved didn't made that special CDs. but apparently SF support helping LO GOLD buyers to run game from those invalid CDs...

I suggest to ED/TFC be very aware of that particular situation...

"There are five dangerous faults which may affect a general: recklessness, which leads to destruction; cowardice, which leads to capture; a hasty temper, which can be provoked by insults; a delicacy of honor which is sensitive to shame; over-solicitude for his men, which exposes him to worry and trouble." Sun Tzu

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic2354_5.gif[/sigpic]

The chance this is an unauthorized version of 1.1 is a really big possibility right now. First, assuming that this copy is indeed an unauthorized version, that would explain why none of the ED team has responded to this thread because if they authenticate that Lock On Gold does contain 1.1 (which we know as of now it really does) it might take away sales from natural point and LockOn.ru. Also, I’m still checking the Best Buy website and it still says the box contains only one CD, but we know it contains 2 cds since it has both the original and 1.1. And third, the price is a little surprising considering it contains both versions. On the Fry’s website, Lock On Gold cost the same as the original Lock On ($29.99). And its kinda freaky after a person install Lock On Gold, it will say “please insert authorized version of CD into drive” or something like that, and you have to go through that crap of e-mailing the starforce support to get the code. I think the starforce support area must be like “wtf? Why r we getting so many complaints/e-mails about this game,” or this is suppose to happen. If the customer is suppose to contact starforce support, they should have said that during install. The people who don’t visit the forums and learn about this, they might return it. One guy almost did on the ubi forums but we told him about the situation. He’s still waiting for a response from starforce since they don’t work on weekends. So I guess I’ll hold off my money until I’m sure the money is going to go to ED.

Well. What exactly can ED do? Tell SF not give out the code? That will be a silence admission that Lock On Gold contains 1.1. I think EG is taking advantage the fact that ED and SF are a small Russian companies and their legal resources in the west, where most of their revenue comes from, are limited.

Well. What exactly can ED do? Tell SF not give out the code? That will be a silence admission that Lock On Gold contains 1.1. I think EG is taking advantage the fact that ED and SF are a small Russian companies and their legal resources in the west, where most of their revenue comes from, are limited.

C`mon, that can't be. Even if some unknown company illegally copied and published Lomac 1.1 I seriously doubdt they'd be able to convince big retailers to sell it. International copywright law still exists. It may not practically apply to kids pirating music, but this is big stuff we are talking about.

I sure hope I am right :)

This is great news if so - it will make getting new pilots easier - it was a major hassle having our new guys buy both versions just to fly.

Does it need Starforce then?

Removing this Starforce would really help sales I think - people don't want Starforce installed on their machines - there is a 10 page thread on this in the IL2 forums.

Customers are not happy with it - I haven't had these issues, but still...it's obviously getting bad press :(

It seems like starforce is the only thing that will allow people to play Lock On Gold...lol that's ironic. Heck, the publishers of Lock On Gold probably copied and paste the contents of the FC cd, that's probably why the comp can't recognize it. And Starforce support probably has no idea this game even hit the shelf, so they are giving out code like usual. They will probably catch on after they turn on their computers monday and find hundreds on e-mails about Lock On Gold lol.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]