Click- and Customizable Radio Menu for DCS World

Thanks Peter,

Had a bit of trouble getting this one to work, only because the font and script didn't change after the copy ,and i didn't realize that hadn't happened.(only realized when i went back over the forums and found a message where you mentioned to someone if the fonts had changed for them) Got a little frustrated because it was calibrating to the new fonts and script that wasn't there. I finally realized the problem and cut and pasted the new fonts and scripts to where they need to be and all is well.

(I'm also using your cockpit views with proper neck and i like it).

Thanks again for making this sim more pleasurable to fly.

Edited by snafup

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I want to understand what exactly was your problem.

Had a bit of trouble getting this one to work, only because the font and script didn't change after the copy
What and where did you copied it ?

How did you start it the first time ?

I want to understand what exact mistake you did and see if I can prevent it.

how can i change it back to left click? i use this touch screens. thanks ahead of time

I'm working right now on a version that comes with menu where you can choose your default button to use for the radio-clicks.

But be aware that the right using then right mouse-button can open a "can of worms" ;) - As when you click in these predefined areas and you don't have a open Radiomenu , it will still send the F-keys to DCS.

And that will cause a View-change.

So I have chosen the left-button as default, because it is much less used in the Sim.

And its more unlikely that you trigger a unintended view-change.

BTW: I use also a touch-screen and I have now problems with a right-click.

I set up my touch-controller to recognize every single/not moving touch that is longer as 0.3sec as a right click.

This allows me to click directly in the cockpit (where also my radio menu spans ) without to fear that I trigger the F-keys when no radio menu is visible.

Hi Peter,

I didn't realize there was a font and spacing change that had to happen before i ran the calibration tool. When i ran the tool it calibrated to the new size and spacing,which wasn't there. It did work after a fashion but it didn't line up to any of the radio commands.

I deleted the calibration settings that were saved, and found the location for the font and command dialog, and cut and pasted the new settings.

Then i reran the calibration tool with the new fonts and spacing and all worked well.

I guess the only problem was I didn't realize there was going to be a font size and spacing change, and to look for it to be sure the changes had taken effect, before i ran the calibration tool.

Hi peter,

Actually i did read your instructions.Unzipped the file to its own folder,put the dcs world in the dcs folder on my drive, and then started calibration. I'm guessing it didn't go over the first time.(who knows, maybe my finger slipped when i went to move the files).

I just didn't read to the bottom of your read me file where you talk about the new fonts and the new spacing.

It's all good now, and i appreciate the work you put into this.

I was looking to combine this with your more readable font size mod

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=92483

but it seems that the font size lines aren't in the files anymore or located somewhere else. I'd love to combine these 2 mods and wondering if you can point me to where the font size is located now.

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

5800X3D - 64gb ram - RTX3080 - Windows 11

No - this is not compatible.

Please read this again:

From the readme:

About the new Font:

Under-lengths of regular fonts, a "g" for example, let the radio items offset and the position

is changing a little when the list is populated (ATC).

So I had to change to a font that consists only of capitals, so the click-able area is always matching

with the items.

Now start thinking about changing the size of the font and what this may cause....

Yes- you got it! - the click-able area will not fit with your custom radio menu.

(and I don't think I like to rewriting the code for each individual font size someone wants to use/try out..)

But there is hope:

Once I have finished writing the final version I will add a alternative with a slightly bigger font.

By the way: You can exchange the True type font with another one when you rename it and put it in the appropriate folder.

The font has to be named "data_latin.ttf"

and placed in

.../DCS World\dxgui\skins\fonts

- But keep in mind that it should only consists of capitals, otherwise it will not work 100%.

You can start your search for a free TTF that suits you better here: www.1001freefonts.com

Edited by PeterP

Well to be honest I don't use the clickable part. I found your mod moved the radio menu from my far monitor to the middle one in my triple setup. I use VAC for my inflight comms. I just like the other font better as its more readable at a glance and doesn't get lost in the background.

I've been away from my sims for awhile and last time I setup DCS A-10 was before World and all the files I used to modify of course are moved or don't exist.

Thanks for the pointer on where the fonts are located now.

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

5800X3D - 64gb ram - RTX3080 - Windows 11

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Pete, Best mod ever. Used it previously but missed it terribly :(

Had a bit of trouble clicking on F1 to save then found I hand my middle button set to "instant viewer". Changed it to one click and it works fine :thumbup:

Again thanks for your hard work. :worthy:

By the way my sons named Peter, would like to think I named him after you.... but his nearly 18!

Edited by Caspet

Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee

Muhammad Ali-(Cassius Clay)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

Thanks for testing it in 1.2.4

I now found also time for it , and I can confirm that it works still as advertised.

Beach, If you need a change (I read the posts on SimHQ in the mirror of this thread ) for your journalism, please contact me via PM (I addend you now to my contacts) and send my a self explaining photo-edit how you want the radio menu placed /changed and I will see what is possible - I will repost on the forums with a explanation how it's done.

Edited by PeterP

I think the communication has changed in the 1.2.4 version.

Yes , this mod died - the comm menu now changes the F position dynamically , so there is no way to make the mouse-click area predictable without rebuilding the whole communication menu logic.

:(

(Damn. !.. can't ED make the Communication menu click able themselves ?! .. I hate to do this after each new 'patch' ! ...you just fixed one mod.. and another one gets berserk... )

Edited by PeterP

• 3 months later...

Hello PeterP thats a great mod are you planing to bring this mod back to life for dcs v 1.2.5 and future ??

INTEL CORE I7 6700K

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO

ASUS ROG GTX1080Ti Strix OC

16GB @ 4100 MHz |CORSAIR

Intel 730 SSD 240GB

Corsair 850 W Modular PSU

Corsair Obsidian 650d

Logitech X-56 HOTAS ,Saitek X-65F HOTAS, Pro Ruder Pedals, Pro Flight Instrument Panel

NP TrackIr 5 Pro

Windows 10 PRO

• 1 month later...

I think 35 positives votes are enough:

New version for DCS World 1.2.6 in post #1!

showthread.php?t=76225

...my ability to read the lua code and to understand what to do to restore the old functionality must have amazingly advanced during the last months .

It was for me impossible to 'repair' it 4 month ago... (since I looked at it the last time)

but today it took me only 30 minutes smile.gif.

-anyway-

Keep on voting!

Edited by PeterP
  • Like 1